38 Degrees And My Brew In The Shed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanmit

Reaction score
I had my fermenter sitting in a broken fridge in the shed today (not allowed to brew in the house!) to try and insulate it against todays weather while I went to work. Got home and the beer was at 28 degrees.

Out to the back yard, sprayed the fermenter with a hose to cool it off, then sat it on icepacks with a wet towel around it...still only got down to 24 but at least its not cooking the yeast. Hopefully the brew comes out ok.

What methods do you use to keep your brew cool in summer?

You can freeze soft drink bottles full of water and put them in the fridge.
Others use this methid and I beleive it works quite well.

cheers
johnno

As Johnno says frozen bottles can work quite well, just make sure you put them on a shelf ABOVE the fermentor.
Cheers 15BL

thanks for the tip jonno (and 15BL) ...now i just need to find some freezer space! (should be cooler today though so no problem)

Also, make the water salty - it'll freeze colder.

I did some renovations last year and found that there were a few R3 insulation batts lest over. When my fridge is full I wrap and cover my brew with these suckers. Depending on the temp (50deg+ in summer sometimes) the frozen water bottles, as posted above, make the difference.

daniel

Latest posts

Back