319 Yo Brewing Book - Inherited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, nice score. I would at a min get an air tight safe; they are not that dear to get and you can throw other stuff in there too. Keeping in a dark air tight environment would help it heaps.

QldKev

Im kinda gobsmacked. Awesome text to have in your posession. :beerbang:

Pffffft.. brewing classic styles! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your loss but to echo others that is book is magic

can I just say that is ******* awesome

+1 to what manticle said :beerbang:

" The Mischief of making Drink by a third Infusion of the Malt with hot Liquor. "

Fate has hunted you down, for this book was meant to arrive in your hands, truly amazing.

Commiserations on losing your Grandfather.

I like others also look forward to seeing a few snippets of the book on this thread if possible. :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

On a side note, I would be getting that book added to your contents insurance too. :icon_cheers:

Commiserations on losing your Grandfather.

I like others also look forward to seeing a few snippets of the book on this thread if possible.

On a side note, I would be getting that book added to your contents insurance too. :icon_cheers:

Losing family is never easy. Sorry to hear about your loss.

On the other hand though you've inherited a small treasure. Both beer and memory related.

:icon_cheers:

PS. I hear contents insurance covers old for new? Would you get John Palmers works if something ever did happen? :ph34r:

Also sorry for your loss, but hell what a score...
Interesting that Stones and Gravel are listed in a few sections ,, As I've had both Kidney and Gall stones (Gall now gone) it would be interesting reading , I've allways suspected that it could be linked too beer stone ..
You said you found a transcript , would you mind shareing the link??

maybe seal it in a vac sealer with a small bag of Silica gell ... You did buy a bag sealer in the BB didn't you ? if not the bloke down the road must of , Lol

cheers

I'd love to make a recipe from that book and have a drink of it to your Grandpa.
Here's to him for keeping such a treasure safe and sound.

It's tough losing close relatives, I've been there. You have my sympathy.

The book is a great thing to remember him by, and will be very interesting from a brewer's point of view.
I'm sure every time you brew, you'll have him in fond memory.

See if you can get access to a doc copy stand that will fit a decent SLR camera, that way you can get really nice quality shots of each page that will last forever, much better than doing it hand held or with a point and shoot as they usually have adjustable lamps to get the best lighting.

That is quite a find there, I know how hard it would be to try not to touch it too much!

Thank you everyone for your comments.

I can't post a link to the transcript (its subscription only service) but if you want it PM me. :)

Looking into it a bit further, I don't think it has many recipes as I first thought, its more about methods and vague quantities. But still great.

Interestingly the Author is very against boiling of hops, instead he likes to use large quantities steeped in tepid water.

I will photograph every page at some stage and make it available online. I don't think copyright is an issue for such an old book if I did my own copy, but the transcript is owned by a certain database.

Thanks again everyone, I still can't believe it.

See if you can get access to a doc copy stand that will fit a decent SLR camera, that way you can get really nice quality shots of each page that will last forever, much better than doing it hand held or with a point and shoot as they usually have adjustable lamps to get the best lighting.

That is quite a find there, I know how hard it would be to try not to touch it too much!

Yep - I'm a pro photographer, so expect some top notch recording for future generations. :) The tough part will be holding the book open. It doesn't open very wide, so I will need to shoot each page at a time rather than try to stretch the book flat to shoot a double page at a time.

Interesting that Stones and Gravel are listed in a few sections

Is the Stones and Gravel listed under the section on false bottoms ??

Pumpy have you plagiarizing from this book ??
Cheers
Chris

Yep - I'm a pro photographer, so expect some top notch recording for future generations. :) The tough part will be holding the book open. It doesn't open very wide, so I will need to shoot each page at a time rather than try to stretch the book flat to shoot a double page at a time.

Well you're all over it then and know more than me!
Would be an interesting read that's for sure.

All the best with it.

if you search for the blog "shut up about barclay perkins" I think theremight be scans of this book posted there

There's scans available on the Early English Books online database but it's subscription only. However the scans are fairly illegible as the text turns in towards the bindings and it's a bit of a disappointment (quality of the scans not the text itself). Most Uni students should be able to access it though.

Dude that's amazing.

As someone who has brewed historical beers before I would love to see a good scan of this.

Cheers
Dave

Yep, the EEBO database has scans, but this is what they look like. I hope to make a nice photographic copy, but its finding the time....

beerbook2.jpg

"Recommended to all brewers, gentlemen, and others that brew their own drink."

The language is great. I think I fall firmly into the 'others' category. Very cool book.

Latest posts

Back