3068, Blow Off Tube Or Double Glad Wrap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone used 3638 yeast?

Yes and it made a massive mess (and some nice beer).

I've got another pack of it that I'll likely chuck into a hefeweizen in the next week. Thinking I'll run a blow-off tube straight into another 30 L fermenter and once it stops spewing, chuck another batch (maybe a dunkel weizen) straight onto the top cropped (blown-off) yeast. Will the yeast that gets blown off initially stay healthy and viable for the few days it takes the krausen to calm down? Any other issues with this approach?

How would 3638 go with a mash like seamad's 43,53,63,72 schedule?

For the better IMO. Second gen often loses the FART (that I can't get a handle on and seems random) with 3068.

I now use 1214 for my hefeweizens as it's got a controlable krausen, no sulphur, heaps of banana, touch of spice and ages supurbly. It also makes them taste like Schneider - the King of Hefes IMO.

There's nothing worse than a hefe that needs ageing because the sulphur leaves at the same time the flavour leaves.

I hear ya Nick... mine is farty... I am burping my corny once a day to see if that might help... maybe I should be farting it??? imodium??? inner health... heheh

I have 50L of Hefeweizen in a 60L fermenter at the moment with a good pitch of 3068 - the krausen consumed most of the headspace but an airlock was sufficient.

Headspace on 21L in a 30L is considerably less, so you might want to go for the lid and blowoff tube.

Same here, but the 3068 climbed out and blew off about 2L

These days I use a blow tube and fermcap (from grain and grape)

And now I put 60L in my 60L fermenter to get 3 full kegs!

There are many threads on Wyeast 3068 krausen going nuts so I didn't want to start another.

I pitched a good starter (maybe over pitched actually) into 19 L in a 30 L ferementor and was a bit worried. I was worried because last time I used it I didn't make a starter and underpitched and also didn't oxygenate the wort very well back then, so I was thinking now that I've improved my practices it might ferment even more vigorously.

There was no need for me to worry though, as I only got about 5 cm of krausen. It did ferment vigorously though because I hit FG in less than 3 days. The big difference between this batch and the last (aside from the things previously stated) was that I fermented at 17 C this time instead of 22 - 23 C. I'm thinking all those pics of krausen and yeast climbing out and ending up all over the floor could be due to high ferment temps?

Just wanted to add my experience to the story.

I have fermented 22L in a 30L drum and had krausen exploding in the fridge.

Definitely requires a blow off tube.

I think it was Tony that said 'if you dont have a krausen explosion with 3068, you're doing something wrong.'

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've never once had 3068 climb out of the fermenter.

(Brewed with it about a dozen times)

You must be doing something wrong then :D

sponge said:
I have fermented 22L in a 30L drum and had krausen exploding in the fridge.

Definitely requires a blow off tube.

I think it was Tony that said 'if you dont have a krausen explosion with 3068, you're doing something wrong.'

phoneyhuh said:
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I've never once had 3068 climb out of the fermenter.

(Brewed with it about a dozen times)
What temps are you guys fermenting at? Maybe that's the difference?

18c. Didn't climb out of the fermenter, end product was indistinguishable from Franziskaner hefeweizen.

I'm normally around 18-20. I've got a dunkel that ive fermented at 21-22 atm which exploded everywhere... but that was 27L in a 30L drum.

Instead, I kept a large plastic container underneath the fermenter to catch the mess which made for an easier clean out then mopping it out of the fridge.

Nick JD said:
For the better IMO. Second gen often loses the FART (that I can't get a handle on and seems random) with 3068.

I now use 1214 for my hefeweizens as it's got a controlable krausen, no sulphur, heaps of banana, touch of spice and ages supurbly. It also makes them taste like Schneider - the King of Hefes IMO.

There's nothing worse than a hefe that needs ageing because the sulphur leaves at the same time the flavour leaves.
Awesome, I will give it a go. Worrying when the dogs are barking because the krausen has come out of the fridge, along the floor, up the back steps and is picking the lock to get inside...

Nick JD said:
The only other yeast I've used that comes close to 3068 is 3787.

They say 30% headspace ... I've had issues with 50%.
Nick, I've got my first Belgian fermenting with 3787 right now. It's on day 4 and is STILL bursting through the clingwrap. I've never seen anything like it. Yeast sludge must be one of the most difficult things to clean up if left to dry for an hour or two. :angry:

Latest posts

Back