Well thats a first...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Hey All,

Put a new brew into the fermenting freezer Sunday arvo, pitched the yeast at 15 degress and set the temp to 20 degrees allowing it naturally rise in temp. Day two I come home from work and notice the temp has reached the 20c and thought I would have a quick look inside.

Its a standard sized fermentor with 21 litres of wort but the Krausen has gone bonkers! I have a blow off tube because I have no headpsace for an airlock, but the Krausen has risen to the top of the fermenter and has gone half way down the blow off tube, my brews trying to escape!

I used the same yeast in my previous brew (Wyeast Weihenstephaner) at the same temp and definitely didnt have this result. Maybe I smacked the pack too hard and pissed the yeast off :D

What could cause this to happen?

Mr Wibble said:
Wyeast Weihenstephan 3068 always does this.

The worst part is when you forget the blow-off tube and fill your airlock fridge/garage with krausen.
under the roller door.JPG

3068 is a beast. I've had it overflow the blowoff bottle, escape the bottom of my fridge, and snake for over 5 metres down my garage.

Did you repitch from the previous batch? If so, overpitching will exacerbate the problem.

Just keep an eye on it, make sure your blow off tube doesn't block, and empty your blowoff bottle (or whatever you use) as necessary.

Oh, and set the temp at 17ºC next time. 20ºC is too high in my experience.

warra48 said:
Did you repitch from the previous batch? If so, overpitching will exacerbate the problem.
Currently I dont re-use my yeast but this is something I want to change in future, so will keep this in mind.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back