$300.00 Conicals?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone with one of these conicals got any suggestions for interfacing an airlock/blowoff tube?

I've been debating whether to just get a silicone bung and drill a hole in it or just go low tech and use gladwrap(instead of the metal lid)!!!

At least then I can see whats going on!

Any ideas?

Q

a rubber bung in the hole in the top is what I'm using. currently got an air lock in it. though when it goes in the ferm fridge it will have a rubber bung with a small tube connected to a blow off tube

Cling Film or something like it does not preclude you from doing *anything* else, so would be what I would recommend. You might subsequently find a compelling reason to do 'X' and you can then balance it against the compelling reason you had to do 'Y'...

In a nutshell:-

1. I dont believe that Conicals are the holy grail anymore - I tried one - and discovered that:-
2. I make shit beer out of the conical
3. I make OK beer from my 30L (<$20) Plastic Barrel fermenter
4. Plastic fermenters dont need passivation
5. The black plastic 2 piece valve on a plastic fermenter is a shitload easier to clean than 2 1/2" ball valves
6. I dont harvest yeast - $4 each brew for yeast is just fine by me
7. Conicals are unwieldy behemoths in comparison to my 30L plastic fermenter
8. My 30L plastic fermenter doesn't leak around the POS thermometer - it doesnt have a POS thermometer - Why would I need to know the temp - my fridge is set to the right temp - that IS the temp!
9. Plastic fermenters dont need blow off tubes - that suck shit into your fermenter when you take a sample if you forget to remove the dip tube from the reservoir
10. 30L plastic fermenters are the right size for my operation - 7 US gallons is just a bit 2 small.
11. A 30L plastic fermenter makes a good storage unit when it has passed its use by date.

I only ordered 1 conical from the US - the dude that sells them is excellent to deal with. I had some issues - now I have 2 conicals.

RM

Listening to the Jamil Show or Sunday Session not sure which, anyway Jamil doesn't use a conical, he gave it to the B'ners preferring a glass carboy.

Cant speak from experience but food for thought :)

Yeah, that's a shit ton of bling for Frank match (and remain profitable) at $300.00 AUD, give or take.

reVox
I have had a look at one of these fermenters but I would not match it. Why match something when you can do way better than it. I wont go into it, but there is a long list of things I didn't like with the design.

I am currently designing a conical from scratch. A conical fermenter is a large and long term investment. Why cut corners and settle for something not quite right. For example: I could offer threaded fittings like a number of manufacturers to cut costs, but for a sanitary fermenter I just cant bring myself to do it. The cheaper option in this instance negates all the benefits and somewhat defeats the purpose of the design. Anybody considering purchasing a conical fermenter is normally very serious about their brewing, and probably view it is a one off, lifetime investment.

I am sure we have all cut corners at some time or another and brought something that was a tad cheaper, sub par etc, with the it will attitude, only to regret it later. I dont want people to regret buying a mashmaster conical, rather many happy years of service will provide many years of personal recommendations by happy customers.

Complete waste of money IMO,if you can't harvest yeast or rack from your plastic fermenter you must be having problems brewing a decent beer as well.
Still I suppose some have plenty of money to chuck around,I for one will not be investing $300 plus in one.

Batz

I have had a look at one of these fermenters but I would not match it. Why match something when you can do way better than it. I won't go into it, but there is a long list of things I didn't like with the design.

I am currently designing a conical from scratch. A conical fermenter is a large and long term investment. Why cut corners and settle for something not quite right. For example: I could offer threaded fittings like a number of manufacturers to cut costs, but for a sanitary fermenter I just can't bring myself to do it. The cheaper option in this instance negates all the benefits and somewhat defeats the purpose of the design. Anybody considering purchasing a conical fermenter is normally very serious about their brewing, and probably view it is a one off, lifetime investment.

I am sure we have all cut corners at some time or another and brought something that was a tad cheaper, sub par etc, with the 'it will attitude', only to regret it later. I don't want people to regret buying a mashmaster conical, rather many happy years of service will provide many years of personal recommendations by happy customers.

Nice points, Frank. And a good reminder that MM one up's what's out there, providing some of the best gear to brewers imo. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers,
reVox

In a nutshell:-

1. I dont believe that Conicals are the holy grail anymore - I tried one - and discovered that:-
2. I make shit beer out of the conical
3. I make OK beer from my 30L (<$20) Plastic Barrel fermenter
4. Plastic fermenters dont need passivation
5. The black plastic 2 piece valve on a plastic fermenter is a shitload easier to clean than 2 1/2" ball valves
6. I dont harvest yeast - $4 each brew for yeast is just fine by me
7. Conicals are unwieldy behemoths in comparison to my 30L plastic fermenter
8. My 30L plastic fermenter doesn't leak around the POS thermometer - it doesnt have a POS thermometer - Why would I need to know the temp - my fridge is set to the right temp - that IS the temp!
9. Plastic fermenters dont need blow off tubes - that suck shit into your fermenter when you take a sample if you forget to remove the dip tube from the reservoir
10. 30L plastic fermenters are the right size for my operation - 7 US gallons is just a bit 2 small.
11. A 30L plastic fermenter makes a good storage unit when it has passed its use by date.

I only ordered 1 conical from the US - the dude that sells them is excellent to deal with. I had some issues - now I have 2 conicals.

RM

you forgot one point RM....

12. It's shiny and pretty :p

you forgot one point RM....

12. It's shiny and pretty :p

Only on the outside Devo.

I am with Brissy here - Weldless with sanitary fittings and a way of pressurising would be the way to go.
The Blichmann is probably as good as it gets - but way too expensive IMHO - cant ustify that.

If any of the WCB guys want to have a play with one of these - PM me. You would be very welcome.

RM

Each to their own, I suppose, but I could never make REALLY good beer till I dumped the plastic fermenters and started brewing in glass carboys. I only use a plastic fermenter today to settle the cold break overnight in my lagers and pilsners, then ferment in glass.

MFS.

I sent the seller an email asking when the next lot will be online and whether he could let me know beforehand:

----------

Hi Brett, yes....Please give me your email address and I'll shoot you a " HEADS UP " email right before I list the next 20 on wednesday. They are coming in around 4 pm but they will be gone very fast.....
This way you will get first crack before anyone else, cool ?

----------

Looks like Thursday morning this week for the next lot.

Gives whoever is interested some suck up time to SWMBO. Start cooking dinner lads!! :lol:

Cheers.

Guys,

I've got 3 x 5 gal all stainless conicals from the same seller here. If anyone is seriously interested, drop me a line.
They need a small job done to them but only $230 each.

cheers Ross

Now that's a bargain Ross!

Too bad I'm gainfully unemployed and "homeless" at the moment..... :( Always the way isn't it!

Cheers

Guys,

I've got 3 x 5 gal all stainless conicals from the same seller here. If anyone is seriously interested, drop me a line.
They need a small job done to them but only $230 each.

cheers Ross

A renovators delight? :lol:

Batz

What I want in a conical and for the price I want, can't be done... I'll stick with my plastic fantastic for a while yet ^_^

Back