30% Hydrochloric Acid To Lower Ph

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3G

Reaction score
Is it ok to use hydrochloric acid to lower PH? From my calculations 1ml will lower 40litres by 1 on the ph scale.

Sounds dangerous mate!

Do you need a supervisor? ;)

Is it worth doing a test run on a batch of say 10L of tap water to see the change in pH then go from there?

(The wheat beers are ready for you to try side by side at my place).

What mash pH reading do you get?

Just wondering why you are adding HCl.....

No mash reading yet, just going through what i need to get organised for pilsners soon. Thought if i have hydrocloric acid on hand it could be used to lower sparge water ph into the region of 6.5

No mash reading yet, just going through what i need to get organised for pilsners soon. Thought if i have hydrocloric acid on hand it could be used to lower sparge water ph into the region of 6.5

Wouldnt phosphoric be safer and it is also a yeast nutrient

Phosphoric drops calcium out of solution, so you have to take that into consideration. Lactic acid is what I use and I generally only need to use 1-2 ml per 44 litre batch, depending on the grain make up and salt additions.

citric acid

I'd read the msds of hydrochloric acid before using it, it is nasty stuff.

Food grade acids would be the preferable choice.

There is that 5.2 stabiliser that adjust to 5.2 with 1 teaspoon apparently, might give it a go in my next mash.

Otherwise use a food grade phosphoric acid or citric acid.

:icon_cheers: tom

I would use citric acid if it was me!! Easy to obtain and much safer!!!

Is it ok to use hydrochloric acid to lower PH? From my calculations 1ml will lower 40litres by 1 on the ph scale.

Mate steer clear of HCl unless your trying to top yourself. Buffer solutions, which Im guessing you want to use something of the like to ensure your mash stays at at the optimal pH level cannot be comprised of strong acids which HCl is one. Why dont you use some pH stabilizer available from your friendly HBS. :icon_chickcheers:

Mate steer clear of HCl unless your trying to top yourself. Buffer solutions, which Im guessing you want to use something of the like to ensure your mash stays at at the optimal pH level cannot be comprised of strong acids which HCl is one. Why dont you use some pH stabilizer available from your friendly HBS. :icon_chickcheers:

I have been using pH 5.2 but wish to delve deeper into water chemistry.

This is from Palmers RA adjustment spreadsheet, is this or is it not Hydrochloric acid ?

Acid AdjustmentBottle Conc.Est. Acid-Only Mash Addition (ml)Mash Water Addition (ml)Hydrochloric30%2.50.0Lactic88%2.00.0

I have been using pH 5.2 but wish to delve deeper into water chemistry.

This is from Palmers RA adjustment spreadsheet, is this or is it not Hydrochloric acid ?

Acid AdjustmentBottle Conc.Est. Acid-Only Mash Addition (ml)Mash Water Addition (ml)Hydrochloric30%2.50.0Lactic88%2.00.0

3G, yes according to what you have there it is, in the qty of 30%. JP is one of the more knowledgeable sources of technical home brewing around the world, far more than myself, so if he says its safe to use it then go ahead. I simply use 5.2 and am currently happy with that. When i saw you were inquiring about HCl, I was concerned about the possible outcome. I will admit I do not know about his RA adjustment spreadsheet. My simple advice was not to use HCl, but if you dabble in the research and find that when added to other compounds, HCl it is safe to use in brewing, then why not, as long as your happy! :icon_cheers:

Nothing wrong with good quality HCl for brewing... just make sure you account for not only the acidity but the chloride added as well.

Hey after all you stomach has HCl with pH of approx 2....... :icon_cheers:

Back