3 Ring Burner- Suitable For 55 Litres?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok MP Adjustable reg is now on the list of things to buy.

15mins is a good time I reckon. If I find it taking a bit too long I'll get an over the side immersion element for more heat (or set to a timer so it's heating in the morning!)

Then as you say I would get the boiler going with the first runnings so by the time I add the 2nd the temps should be up fairly high.

Edit - pity the nasa's are out of stock....

If I get two then that will help bring the mash water up to temp quicker as well as helping the kettle boil quicker. Anybody know the cheapest shop to get it from?

I got mine from Gryphon Brewing, although he's closed at the moment (on vacation till the end of the month I think). Only a suburb or 2 over from you (Basso), and you can collect from his house if you orghanise in advance.

Just drill out the jets! Take apart the second or third ring tap, you'll see a threaded brass part with a tiny hole - drill it out to 1 to 1.5mm. You'll probably have to adjust the air mix to suit. On mine I have the taps open only about half way most of the time.

Use the normal low pressure BBQ reg, saves on expensive gas anyhow.

I run an 80L stainless kettle with this setup, as you've seen. It also helps to wrap something around the whole lot, I think my gas usage went down 30% by just wrapping one sheet of alfoil around the bottom of the kettle, helps direct the heat up the sides.

I've used a 3-ring burner with a BBW regulator in the past, boiled 32 litres fine. Slowish, but fine.

Big recommendation for the heat direction idea. For example, I used a large (LARGE!) moving box to surround the entire setup and help stop drafts.

Cheers - boingk

I got mine from Gryphon Brewing, although he's closed at the moment (on vacation till the end of the month I think). Only a suburb or 2 over from you (Basso), and you can collect from his house if you orghanise in advance.

I've got quite a bit from Nev in the past. As he's away I can't take a look at the online shop. Didn't remember him having any regulators when the shop was open. Also, when I got my burner gear originally he was pointing me to camping and outdoor leisure places.

dent - shouldn't the same amount of gas be used at the end, just that the MP will use more gas quickly and get the boil going quicker as well?
So you wrapped the keg sides with alfoil - did you put a shroud around the burner as well to prevent heat escaping outwards?

Cheers
-cdbrown

I've got quite a bit from Nev in the past. As he's away I can't take a look at the online shop. Didn't remember him having any regulators when the shop was open. Also, when I got my burner gear originally he was pointing me to camping and outdoor leisure places.

dent - shouldn't the same amount of gas be used at the end, just that the MP will use more gas quickly and get the boil going quicker as well?
So you wrapped the keg sides with alfoil - did you put a shroud around the burner as well to prevent heat escaping outwards?

Cheers
-cdbrown

Gryphon does seem to have a med pressure adj reg and s/s braided supply hose listed; but no burners.

QldKev

Do you have the link past his front page? All it says that they are "closed for vaction".

Cheers
-cdbrown

Possibly, but from what I hear from people here they don't get a great many brews out of one 9kg tank with the rambo burners or whatever - but I guess also with the big power there is the temptation to crank it up and get that massive boil going.

The alfoil goes around the whole lot - the diameter of my burner is helpfully similar to that of my kettle, so the foil goes from the table surface, upward. One day I will replace it with something that doesn't slowly burn through in patches, but for the time being it is great.

I tried once, in a foolish effort to save gas, to insulate the kettle with some fibreglass based insulation - this was retarded because a large amount of heat comes in on the sides, not out. Obviously an electric solution would have the opposite effect.

I am tempted to put into service the automotive LPG cylinder that has been lying around - would be pretty awesome to fill it at the servo for half price or so. Bit awkward to move it around though.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Great to get some different perspectives.

@ Dent- I forgot that you are using a 3 ring. I'll try drilling out the jets and see how that goes.
I guess I'll just follow Mathos advice and try a 'dry' run with the pot. If it's a no go, then upgrade is on the cards.

Cheers, John. :beer:

Let us know how it goes John.

Btw - where in Perth are you?

CD Roy at TWOC has some 'cheap' adjustable Regs. I think they were going for $35. I was chasing a second one but they looked a bit too 'cheap' to me :ph34r:
I'm a tightar$e at heart but it just looked a it too flimsy.
Cheers
Doug
PS My 4 ring burner (with adjustable HP reg) rarely has the 4th ring running on my 90 liter pot doing typically 50lt boils but no probs with the recent 75l boil. No issue getting things to the boil either. Probably the only downside is the bulk of the overall length but no performance issues :)

CD Roy at TWOC has some 'cheap' adjustable Regs. I think they were going for $35. I was chasing a second one but they looked a bit too 'cheap' to me :ph34r:
Cheers
Doug
PS My 4 ring burner (with adjustable HP reg) rarely has the 4th ring running on my 90 liter pot doing typically 50lt boils but no probs with the recent 75l boil. No issue getting things to the boil either. Probably the only downside is the bulk of the overall length but no performance issues :)

I know the ones you mean, Doug.
I took my first reg (the ones you mention) to try to get some line to fit it (as they are a spigotted end, not threaded, so require clamping), and the bloke at the gas shop told me it was illegal- meaning that insurance would not cover any burnt humans or houses- so i opted for this one from Nev:

103_0481.JPG

Positive to hear about the large boil with only 3 rings going.

Cheers, John.

How about insulating the kettle? That should help. Anybody out there put any insulation around the kettle? That's what i'm planning to do

Cheers
Doug

$35 sounds about right; my med pressure adj reg from auscrown was $26.50 + GST

QldKev

rightyo, you've got me thinking about my 47 litre boils and my 3 ringer. If I dont use my over the side immersion element it is a very very gentle boil, and I mean like simmering soup. No vigorous boiling bubbles whatsover. It hardly breaks the surface. What kind of regulator is on my burner that it came with when I bought it?:

IMG_0506.JPG

Apparently the guy said he drilled out the holes on the burner too. Oh and that is not my toe, its my sons.

Cheers
Steve

rightyo, you've got me thinking about my 47 litre boils and my 3 ringer. If I dont use my over the side immersion element it is a very very gentle boil, and I mean like simmering soup. No vigorous boiling bubbles whatsover. It hardly breaks the surface. What kind of regulator is on my burner that it came with when I bought it?:

View attachment 37231

Apparently the guy said he drilled out the holes on the burner too. Oh and that is not my toe, its my sons.

Cheers
Steve

Steve, I just checked the reg that came with my burner, and as you can see, pretty much the same specs as yours.
I didn't even try to boil my single batches with it, as the flame that it gave off seemed less than adequate. I can't believe you get a boil happening from it!
103_0843.JPG

If you can get a gentle boil on 47 litres without the medium press adj reg, I imagine you would piss it in with one.

Cheers, John.

Latest posts

Back