3 piece valves... worth the extra cost?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding was the 2 piece valves were torqued at the factory for a good seal, and pulling it apart means you need to get that right torque doing it back up again, otherwise you'll either end up with too tight a valve, or leaks.

would the torque only really apply in high pressure situations ?
I use mostly 3P valves but they are a pain to reassemble as i pull them apart before every brew...

I got a 2nd hand pump that came with a 2 peice. Very easy to take apart and clean. For the price I might swap them with my 3 peice.

I always thought they were just something that old school brewers used :huh:

technobabble66 said:
Still no idea why peeps claim you need to buy the 3-piece, they just repeat the same mantra like post#6 (sorry brewno marz, not intending to have a go at you).
Hmm, I don't think I claimed you need to buy anything. Home brewing is light duty service for a valve. Teflon seats wouldn't be subject to much wear, so you shouldn't need to take your valves apart if you are are confident you can clean and sanitise the dead space in the ball valve body. My conical fermenter came with 3 piece valves and my other FV with 2 piece. My view is buy 3 piece valves if you want them and don't worry about the price difference, but there is no advantage, except possibly post boil.

Brewno Marz said:
Hmm, I don't think I claimed you need to buy anything. ...
Very true! [emoji1]
I was more just referring to this small bit: "so three piece valves may be worth considering if you can afford them, as you can completely disassemble the valve and clean every surface directly - the teflon seats, the ball, the valve body and the inlet and outlet ports." ... simply as a quick way of covering the comments/mantra of others in pushing the need for 3-pieces. I was being a little lazy and couldn't be bothered re-writing it out [emoji57] In hindsight, it probably would've been much easier to extract the passage like I've just done here, rather than reference your entire post which isn't really pushing 3-pieces in the first place! [emoji1] My bad.

Back