3 Days Into Ferment, Have Attempted Beer Repair.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
I BIAB in a Birko 40 litre urn.
Have been trying a few single hop beers of late.
Brewing Batch 38 on saturday using only Target hops.
Mashed 1kg of traditional ale malt and 4kg of export pilsner at 67 degrees for 3 hours due to an interuption.
Then a 60 min boil.
60 min 20g target
40 min 15g "
15 min 15g "
0 min 15g "
No chilled the 20 litres, OG1042, pitched safale 04 on sunday + put in temp cont. fridge @ 20 degrees.
Come tuesday I was not pleased with the taste test at all, an earthy over soaked grain type taste reading 1013.
Tried again last night, still not good at all and reading at 1013.

Usually use 6kgs of grain per brew so alc% is a bit lower.
I recognse the taste from an early batch when I made a BIAB beer then using the left over grain I tried to spruice up a kit beer by sparging the left over grain to add the liquid to the kit brew, kit came out low alcohol and with this bad taste.

When I say sparging I hoist the bag and pour a kettle or 2 of boiling water through the grain bag, normally just get the water to 70 -80 degrees except used boiling water on the weekend... dow!

Is the bad taste from mashing too long and or sparging with boiling water instead of 70 degrees?

What ever it is I do not like it.
so
Last night I decided to attempt a fix by adding.
700g of raw sugar mixed into pre boiled water.
20g E.K.Goldings in boiling water for 2 mins
Reads 1020 this morning and fermenting away at 20 degrees.
Open for comments, questions and or flamings.
Thanks.

Ouch... I hope you can save it mate. It's never nice going to all the trouble and cost to have a result like that. Worst comes to worse and you have to bin it, at least it's a lesson well learnt :(

Mitch.

Latest posts

Back