2nd Worst Brew Day Ever

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

absinthe

Reaction score
well that was a disaster, i just couldnt get my beer to clear and im a little suspect as to why, its slightly posable that i may have had some oxy clean residue in the HERMS or my crush was wrong or just not enough grain bed to filter (i have a slightly large mash tun a bit silly but the last 4 batches worked ok part from some other problems).

as im a little worried about oxy residue, im not going to drink this batch (it still wont go to waste, god bless the pot still). But im just wondering why i had so much trouble with this batch, my last batch did have 6kg of grain this only had 5kg, so the grain bed could be the problem i think. does that sound about right to you? the grain bed was only about 3-4 inches thick with a copper manifold bottom

and why is it my second worst brew day? well the last one i was playing with my plate chiller and slipped with a flat blade screw driver and had to get 4 stitches lol

Dont worry about the beer being clear, lets hope it tastes the goods! Oxy residue? Can you expand on this? :blink:

Ouch on the stitches. I think 2nd and 3rd brew days are when mistakes slip in once you get a bit lazy or start trying different methods...

Dont worry about the beer being clear, lets hope it tastes the goods! Oxy residue? Can you expand on this? :blink:

Ouch on the stitches. I think 2nd and 3rd brew days are when mistakes slip in once you get a bit lazy or start trying different methods...
oxy wash the napisan stuff i used it to clean the herms and im not sure if i got it all out as it seemed to foam more than normal... as i said im over it now as it will become whiskey (no hops added just a quick boil). i will try again tomorrow.. was aiming for a nice pilsner i might up the grain bill and do a double batch and see how the deeper grain bed goes

I believe he is referring to 'OxyClean' cleaning product....like PBW.

If there was residue of that, I suspect you will be able to taste it right off the bat...even into the fermenter. I say give it until end of fermentation and have a small taste test.

I believe he is referring to 'OxyClean' cleaning product....like PBW.

If there was residue of that, I suspect you will be able to taste it right off the bat...even into the fermenter. I say give it until end of fermentation and have a small taste test.
well as its cloudy as hell, and has no hop addition this one will end up clear and in a barrel, any nasties will stay behind that way anyway

im having another go tomorrow

the last one i was playing with my plate chiller and slipped with a flat blade screw driver and had to get 4 stitches lol

Flat blade screw drivers are pure evil. I have more than a couple of holes in my hands from replumbing the brewery last week. No stiches though, that sounds painful!

Flat blade screw drivers are pure evil. I have more than a couple of holes in my hands from replumbing the brewery last week. No stiches though, that sounds painful!

nah didn't feel the wound was one of those slip then eye rolling moments,, i knew i had done it but i didn't feel it... had a look and thought that looks like more than a band aid lol.. i did feel the stitches though, the anesthetic didn't work on one side.. mind you i got jabbed more times with the anesthetic than the stitches... shoulda just gone without it

LOL (I know I shouldnt laugh) that reminds me of a camping trip a few years ago. Had one of those 10L pre packaged water containers that has a tap on it but you need to puncture the top to allow air in to help it flow.

Well me being me I decided that it wasnt flowing enough grabbed a knife started to put a bigger hole in the container as kel said "honey be careful thats a brand new sharp knife dont cut yourself" I slipped and stuck the knife into my thumb. Worst bit - kel had already got stuck into the wine and had never driven the rangie - so I had to drive my self into Alexandra to the hospital that doesnt have an emergency facility - thankfully one of the doctors was just finishing up.

Worst of all I had it wrapped in a (now blood covered) tea towel. One of the nurses asked to have a look to see if she could start cleaning it up I showed her and she gagged - it was then that I realised that kel was right I wasnt going to be able to fix this with a couple of bandaids.
Doctor was a champ though - stitched me up and gave me some extra dressings and had a good chat. He was amused that he always has people coming in holding wounds in a tea towel. 6 stitches later and life is all good LOL - wont do that again. I now use a refillable gerry or cube LOL

Back