2nd Beer is Done

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auzimon3

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I would run this recipe by a few of you more experienced beer smiths.

It is only my second attempt at home brew (the first is conditioning and delicious already!).

I found this site http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/beer/ and could not resist creating my own recipe.

23L Batch

Steeped .5Kg Cracked crystal Amber(?) malt until temp hit 75 C

4Kg LME

60min 30g Challenger
30min 30g Challenger
50min 15g EKG
0min 15g EKG

OG was 1.061

Pitched US-05 @ 22 C / Fermenting at 20 C

and I plan to rack to a secondary and dry hop 30g EKG after Primary is done.

Any thoughts? Keep in mind I was after a hit of bitterness up front with a whole lot of hops right though the taste.

The recipe calculator expects;
OG 1.063
FG 1.018
ABV 5.96%
IBU 46.89

Cheers Ric

No need to rack it to a secondary, all you achieve is increasing the risk of infection and oxidation for really bugger all advantage. If you've got it in a brew fridge just drop the temperature right down as close to zero as you can get it for a week or so and dry hop it 3 or 4 days out from bottling.

Rocker1986 said:
No need to rack it to a secondary, all you achieve is increasing the risk of infection and oxidation for really bugger all advantage. If you've got it in a brew fridge just drop the temperature right down as close to zero as you can get it for a week or so and dry hop it 3 or 4 days out from bottling.
I was going to give secondary a go just to see what it would do.......clears the look of the beer a bit? If that is really it I might not bother.

I will have to look into your other suggestion about dropping temp and when to dry hop.

If I bottle at close to zero I would have to let bottles warm up again to allow carbonation during conditioning wouldn't I?

Auzimon3 said:
I was going to give secondary a go just to see what it would do.......clears the look of the beer a bit? If that is really it I might not bother.

If I bottle at close to zero I would have to let bottles warm up again to allow carbonation during conditioning wouldn't I?
Transferring to secondary improves clarity and in turn, flavour (think about it, you're not drinking as much mixed up yeast)
Yes, your bottles will need to warm up to carbonate properly. I just leave mine in the hallway cupboard for a month. Then, they go in the fridge for a week before I start drinking them.

slcmorro said:
Transferring to secondary improves clarity and in turn, flavour (think about it, you're not drinking as much mixed up yeast)
Yes, your bottles will need to warm up to carbonate properly. I just leave mine in the hallway cupboard for a month. Then, they go in the fridge for a week before I start drinking them.
Transferring to secondary is not necessary, just cc in the primary. My beer is so clear you could read the fine print on an insurance policy through it, all I do is cc in the primary for a few days to a week. No gelatine either.

wbosher said:
Transferring to secondary is not necessary, just cc in the primary. My beer is so clear you could read the fine print on an insurance policy through it, all I do is cc in the primary for a few days to a week. No gelatine either.
Sorry, I wasn't thinking. I read the question as 'cold conditioning'. I rarely transfer to secondary too, for what it's worth.

I just dry hopped in the primary, 30g EKG after 10 days of pretty consistent fermentation at 20o C.

I have read a great deal of conflicting info all over the web about the best time to dry hop and cold crash. It looks like any number of differing variables will give a decent outcome so ill just have a go and see what happens.

When it finally stops bubbling completely I will be cold crashing it for a few days and then racking the majority into a keg (new purchase!) and force carbonating.

I'm calling the beer "Ave' A Go Son" Ale as its my second beer and first attempt at creating my own recipe.

If its as good as the first one or better i'll know i'm on the right track.

Cheers Ric :)

Im loving the Keg in comparison to bottling.

The "ave a go son ale" is still very young but quite tasty.

Carbonation (first attempt at forced) seems right on the money.

Im hoping that the hop aroma/flavor will develop over the next couple of weeks but for a first attempt at creating my own recipe im reasonably happy.

I might have a go at "cloning" a commercial style next before gearing up to tackle AG some time in the new Year.

Cheers Ric

Auzimon3 said:
Im loving the Keg in comparison to bottling.

The "ave a go son ale" is still very young but quite tasty.

Carbonation (first attempt at forced) seems right on the money.

Im hoping that the hop aroma/flavor will develop over the next couple of weeks but for a first attempt at creating my own recipe im reasonably happy.

I might have a go at "cloning" a commercial style next before gearing up to tackle AG some time in the new Year.

Cheers Ric
It will be tasting awesome and then the keg will blow nothing but foam. 100% guaranteed.

Khellendros13 said:
It will be tasting awesome and then the keg will blow nothing but foam. 100% guaranteed.
Which can be fixed pretty easily with help from the members on here (unless it's empty :))

Quite right Manticle.

I was actually pouring a beer for my wife at the time, great pour, perfect head, nice and clear, pretty great tasting too.

Then it blows foam! I could have cried! I now have only 2 bottles each of my first and second brews and will not be able to brew again until mid January as i'm moving house.

I will never underestimate my ability to drink a 19L keg dry again :chug:

I still gave the last glass to my wife........but it was hard to do.

Latest posts

Back