25 L Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smileymark

Reaction score
They are advertising these for $4 on flee bay..Is it allright to store a 22 litre batch in this or will they oxidise too much..If i was set up I could sparge with c02 but are not setup yet. Oh! they claim they have only had vinegar in them.
Cheers.:beer:

I think you'll find there is a few people on this forum who have used them and are very happy.

They are advertising these for $4 on flee bay..Is it allright to store a 22 litre batch in this or will they oxidise too much..If i was set up I could sparge with c02 but are not setup yet. Oh! they claim they have only had vinegar in them.
Cheers. :beer:

Hi smilee,
I got some of these cubes off this guy, because he is close to where i live. i haven't put anything less than 23L into them, but never been a problem.
When i fill with hot wort i screw the lid on tight back off half a turn than put a towel around the cube put my knee on one side and my hands on the other and push the centre in till the wort is close to the top, than do the lid up all done. they come back to shape when empty.
it works out good when it is time to tip into your fermenter you get the cube on a bit of an angle before the wort starts running out, nothing worse than trying to tip a full cube and it starts running out just as you tilt it a bit.
you know these cubes have had vinegar in them so they need a bit of a clean but i haven't had any bad taste out of them.

Mal

you know these cubes have had vinegar in them so they need a bit of a clean but i haven't had any bad taste out of them.
Mal

Except for those flavours similiar to aceto infections!?! :p (i kid, i kid)

I bought half a dozen from this guy and soaked 2 of the cleanest ones that must have had white vinegar in then and just can't get the smell out of them. I haven't been game to put a batch in them yet. I soaked them in warm water with 2 cap fulls of napisan each for a couple of days and then a couple more with bleach-water.

Does anyone have a link to the ebay listing?

Benniee

Brewers in the Sydney Metro area looking for brand new cubes can also check out www.peopleinplastic.com.au . They are in Enfield. I scored some 20 litre cubes (actually they are more like 23 litres after swelling) for around ten dollars each.

Mal,

use the crozdog method(tm) - instead of usubg your hands & knees. lean the full cube against a step at an angle with the cap closestto you (away from the step), fold up an old towel or sheet, put it on the side of the cube then push your knee into the side while you gently open the cap, tighten the cap when the hot wort starts to escape. Fully tighten cap & rest it on its side to get the hot wort into the cap & handle.

Too easy & stops you from burning your hands!!

Beers Croz

PS, Smilee, like others have said, 25l cubes are great. you can fill a keg as well as a few longnecks out of 1. They are great for secondaries too. I have also used em as primaries, but they then need a longer soal in sodium perc to clean the yeast ring out.

Hi smilee,
I got some of these cubes off this guy, because he is close to where i live. i haven't put anything less than 23L into them, but never been a problem.
When i fill with hot wort i screw the lid on tight back off half a turn than put a towel around the cube put my knee on one side and my hands on the other and push the centre in till the wort is close to the top, than do the lid up all done. they come back to shape when empty.
it works out good when it is time to tip into your fermenter you get the cube on a bit of an angle before the wort starts running out, nothing worse than trying to tip a full cube and it starts running out just as you tilt it a bit.

Mal

Thanks crozdog see you Saturday,
Thankyou too evryone else who replied.

Mal,

use the crozdog method - instead of usubg your hands & knees. lean the full cube against a step at an angle with the cap closestto you (away from the step), fold up an old towel or sheet, put it on the side of the cube then push your knee into the side while you gently open the cap, tighten the cap when the hot wort starts to escape. Fully tighten cap & rest it on its side to get the hot wort into the cap & handle.

Too easy & stops you from burning your hands!!

Beers Croz

Thanks crozdog, i will give your way ago next time. :beer:

Anyone have an outlet for cheap Cubes in Victoria?

Rook

Back