• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

240v Motors 1/6hp Maybe For Grain Milling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaldo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a few large electric motors which are surplus to my needs. They used to be used on small industrial compressors.

They are used but still seem in perfect condition. They are made in the USA, are rated at 1/6 horsepower and spin at 1400rpm. 240 volt 2 amp.

The motors themselves are about 25cm long and 13cm in diameter. They have a half inch shaft which could be adapted for al sorts of gear.

Would these be good motors for a Grain Milling machine?

Any use to anyone?

I'm happy to swap for a large pot or other brew gear.

Please PM me if you want further info or pics.

Cheers,

Dave.

Does anybody know if this sort of motor would be suitable for a mill?

What sort of requirements are normally looked for in Mill motors?

Cheers,

Dave.

They should be usefull but I did read somewhere that for good milling the rollers should be going around at about 100rpm , would have to reduce the 1400rpm a bit.

Great! Thanks guys for the info!

A lot of the mills I have seen do seem to run a large wheel on the mill and a small wheel on the motor. It wouldn't be hard to get near 14 to one. Also, I believe many mills have internal gearing....

The motors do have mounting brackets. Four rubber feet with bolts protrude from the bottom of the motor bracket (or you could bolt without the rubber feet). Also there are several mounting holes arranged around the spindle end.

Cheers,

Dave.

Theoretically you're not meant to exceed a 10:1 reduction in one step on a belt drive, angles of wrap and the such. In reality, you can do one step and get the speed close. What won't be good enough is 1/6 of a horsepower. 1/4 would be bare minimum, 1/2 OK and 3/4hp good. You'd have to feed it very slowly and even then on some of the harder grains (eg Wheat), think you'd be facing a stalled motor.

May also depend on the mill in question. My 1/4 horsepower drives my 2 roller monster with ease. Having a start capacitor means it will kick over with 8kg of grain in the hopper as well.

My guess is 1/6 HP will drive a smaller mill like a Monster, Crankandstein, BC etc. but may struggle on a bigger beastie like a Millmaster with it's meshed teeth etc. That said it may be fine if you feed the hopper whilst the mill is running. Only one way to find out.

And yep to pull 1440rpm to around 150rpm you need a 12 inch pulley on the mill and around 1.5inch on the motor.

Warren -

hmmmm, thanks guys.

I'm a little suprised to hear these motors wouldn't be powerful enough. They look rather beefy, and once geared I would imagine they would do well.

If anyone wants to try one out they are most welcome. :)

Dave

Latest posts

Back