24 things you didn't know about beer, link and pic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian4379

Reaction score
24 things you didn't know about beer, link and pic, i'm not sure if the pic wil work so i'll add the link as well/

http://memolition.com/2013/07/03/24-things-you-didnt-know-about-beer/

beer_01.jpg

Nice link.

Although I think you have under-estimated the knowledge of a lot of brewers on here. Some of that I would consider common knowledge for a beer geek. *ahem* I mean, I'm not a geek but I would imagine :ph34r:

ha, nope not underestimating anyone, just thought some of you may like to look at it, a lot of newbies like myself on here. the thread title is the article/picture title.

Yob said:
Point 8 is incorrect..

;)
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

So sick of this being regurgitated as a "fact". Ron has ruined me.

If point 8 is incorrect what is the true story? Not trying to start an argument just inquisitive?

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk 4

Someone might have to chime in here and correct a few points because I'm going off a very hazy, hang over affected memory. But I think it's something like this...

When the IPA style came into being, the regular gravity for a Pale Ale was in the 5-6% (or more) range already. It wasn't being "brewed strong" to survive the journey. That's what gravities were. In fact I'm fairly sure that the traditional IPA was brewed weaker than the locally consumed pales because of export tax - it had to be below a certain amount or it was too expensive.

The higher hopping rates were actually because India is ******* hot. The extra bitterness was designed to make it more refreshing, the preservative qualities were also sort after.

I've read before the IPA got its name and its shiteload of hops for the reason of travelers from UK to India and preserving the beer where their other brews were going off.

Think it was in a book.

Also point 9 is correct, went to Belgium coupla years ago, holy crap they got some different beers, and everyone nearly has its own style of serving glass with its print on it. Even sitting at a pub, each brand beer comes in that brewers glass.

Back