2308 Munich Lager Yeast Makes A Decent English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJO

Reaction score
The weekend before last I brewed an English Bitter (OG1.038) with the W Yorkshire yeast, and I knew I was going to be brewing a lager this weekend. So I brewed an extra 15L of the Bitter and pitched the Munich Lager yeast and fermented at 20C (as a starter).

I racked it this weekend and was surprised to find that it tasted bloody good, was expecting some sulphur but there wasn't any. Its definitely not as fruity as the Yorkshire batch but should be a quaffable pint, will crack it this weekend. :icon_cheers:

Cheers
Petr

Nice one Petr :icon_cheers: ! What were the respective FG's for each yeast?

I like the idea of mixing yeasts and beer styles around. I used the 2308 to do a bier de garde a few years ago and fermented at 16-18C, was very happy with the results.

C&B
TDA

Nice one Petr :icon_cheers: ! What were the respective FG's for each yeast?
G'day TDA,

Around 1.007 for the Yorkshire and maybe a touch lower for the 2308. I was expecting the lager might finish a lot lower than the Yorkshire but was about the same (within measurement error).

That Yorkshire yeast is defninitely a true top-cropper, had a loverly pancake of yeast siting on top of the beer at the end of ferment. :D

Cheers
Petr

I did a similar thing recently. Made up some bitter quickly for the comp judges and made most of it with S-04 and the rest with some S-189 slurry I had just waiting for something to do. The lager one came out pretty well I think and got a second in the Castle Hill comp. I'll probably try something like it next winter. A hoppy amber lager just seems to work. :)

Latest posts

Back