23 Jet Mongolian Burner - Yey/neh?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been brought up a dozen times already but i've search and haven't found much. Im looking into a 23 jet mongolian burner set up with stand, tap and adapter and wondering what peoples experiences are with them. Ive heard of people complaining of having to bolt up jets, the burner being really sooty on low etc.

Is there a better burn set up i could buy for 200 bucks? Its a lot of money for me and i would love to spend it wisely!

hijax, I am in a similar boat and have tried to do as much reading (mainly here) as I could. There are some great write-ups - one with a great comparison of boil times (sorry I don't have a link)... but I came to the conclusion that for me an Italian spiral burner with a low or medium pressure regulator would be the go. The low pressure reg should be good for up to 70L boils and the med... well, a fair bit more than 70L!

I'm in Adelaide so would probably go to beer belly (Wayne I think? no affiliation, etc) as for $155 you'd be set to go with a burner that incorporates a stand and med pressure reg!! http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html

Hopefully that helps? My 2c...

On iPad and I haven't got the handle on links yet but search for a 4 ring burnet at camping stores. You can then build a shield like a Mongolian burner and save your money for you grain orders!!!

There is a thread out there called choosing a gas burner, good replies on it.

Can't help on the Mongolian but the next burner I'm getting when my brewstand falls apart, is an electric over the side element, cheaper in the long run and has multiple uses!

Having said that If I had to go gas I would check out the proper Italian spiral burners. Nothing wrong with the Mongolians from what I have seen, but the spirals are powerful as well as being quiet.

I'm very pleased with my Mongolian burner (23 jet, natural gas). I have no problems with soot as others have reported, and I usually throttle it down a bit (sometimes up to half) during the boil. My kettle is 98 litres, usual pre-boil volume is 83 litres. Perhaps with smaller pots/volumes guys need to throttle down a lot; maybe that's where soot becomes a problem?

Edit: So yey!

You've typed in 'which burner' and got nothing? Hmmm doubtful. Yes there about 6 other huge threads on this topic incl stats and trial info from brewers. MHB started one with a heap of info. Have another search in gear and equipment section.

To answer ur question.. It depends on your requirements as to whether it's suitable. As for brand, yes Mongolian are good.

I've got a modified 3 ring burner, a 23jet Mongolian and NASA burners.

I choose the NASA anyday; i've got some details on my website (link in my sig)

QldKev

Sorry if this has been brought up a dozen times already but i've search and haven't found much. Im looking into a 23 jet mongolian burner set up with stand, tap and adapter and wondering what peoples experiences are with them. Ive heard of people complaining of having to bolt up jets, the burner being really sooty on low etc.

Is there a better burn set up i could buy for 200 bucks? Its a lot of money for me and i would love to spend it wisely!

what sort of boil volume are you considering ?

is it for a 3v system ?

i have a 32 jet under my HLT and i dont need to take up knitting whilst waiting for water to reach target temps

i have a 23 jet under my mash tun and its good for raising temps if i need

i have a 23 jet under my kettle and for a 90 litre boil i have to throttle back a little when reaching boiling, this is with a thick based SS pot

i also have a rambo burner with a med pressure regulator that i use with a 40 litre aluminium kettle if doing a small batch, now that is real quick in heating water

I just recently got a Rambo burner and think its fantastic for what I need it for (50L). It comes packaged with a stand, hose and regulator so there's no need to buy those parts and / or connect them yourself.

For smaller boil sizes why not consider electric?

Cheaper, but slower.... but no gas bottle or CO risk.

I have a rambo & an Italian spiral.
No hard figures, but my gut feeling is the rambo is slightly quicker to boil my 65+ L.

You've typed in 'which burner' and got nothing? Hmmm doubtful. Yes there about 6 other huge threads on this topic incl stats and trial info from brewers. MHB started one with a heap of info. Have another search in gear and equipment section.

To answer ur question.. It depends on your requirements as to whether it's suitable. As for brand, yes Mongolian are good.
15 pages on burners
3 pages on 'mongolian burner'
10 results on '23 jet mongolian burner'

should be enough to answer your questions

I have 2 x 23jet Mongolian burners, 1 for HLT & the other for the boil kettle ( both 50lt keggles )
I have been using them for several years, never had issues with sooting even when throttled back. They are quite powerful & get a single batch to boiling reasonably quickly. You will definately have to throttle back once boiling but I boil pretty hard & highly recommend them.
cheers mate. :icon_cheers:

I recently got a 32 jet natural gas Mongolian burner, but apparently I have to get a gas fitter to sort this out? Does anyone in the western sydney area know anyone that does something like this? (feedback, tips, anyone know what should actually be done, etc?) :D

Latest posts

Back