2021 Hunter Homebrew Comp - 19th June 2021

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes we all get emailed our results. I believe it may take a few days while the head judge rechecks everything before sending results. The feedback comments where quite long for some entries I noticed. So how much of that feedback we get I’m not sure yet. That would be a lot of work for someone to type all the feedback into the system. But I think they aim to get all the judges comments to us.

Wow!! Awesome, ok, thanks for the info!!! Hope next time I'll be able to go!!

Great news! Keen to see the results. Thanks to everyone who helped with the judging

I think you will get a copy of the score sheet, I haven’t checked with the team. Was a good day thanks to everyone involved in organising, stewarding, judging and of course submitting entries. Tried some cracking beers, well done to all that entered and congrats to those that place.

looking forward to hopefully judging officially next time.

HUB are very please to announce the results from the 2021 Hunter Homebrew Comp held this past weekend.
Congratulations to all prize winners and thanks to all Entrants, volunteer Judges & Stewards without whom a great comp like this woundn't be possible.
Special thanks to our very generous Platinum Tier Sponsors FogHorn Brewery, Hpa Australia, Gold Tier Sponsor Newcastle Brew Shop, Silver Tier Sponsors Shout Brewing & BeerCo, & Bronze Tier Sponsors Six String Brewing Company, Grainfed Brewing Company, Lallemand Brewing & The Brewers Market, Belmont
The Champion Brewer will have their name engraved on the inagural Pete Ptolemy Memorial Trophy on display at FogHorn Brewerys Newcastle venue.
Scoresheets will be mailed out to the address registered on the comp website and prizes will forwarded to the respective winners shortly.
2021 Hunter Comp Results Poster_v3.jpg

Attachments

• 2021 Hunter Comp Full Results_v2.pdf
    914.3 KB · Views: 68
Awesome! Thanks everyone! I was entering this mainly for feedback, super excited to get 2nd place in dark and strong!

Based on the scores my pale ales need a bit more work haha. Cant wait to see the detailed feedback.

Thanks to everyone involved.

Thanks all for this comp and the judging. Stoked to place 3rd in the Ale category. Keen on the feedback to help improve my brews!

Congrats to all the place-getters! It will be good to get some feedback!

What sort of prizes were on offer?

What went into the placing, was it just the scores in the "Total" column or were their other factors?

What went into the placing, was it just the scores in the "Total" column or were their other factors?
The total score was made up from the 5 different attributes the beer was assessed on, out of 50 points possible. There were 2 judges scoring each beer, so a total of 100 points possible. So yes the beer with the highest total points in its category won that category.

Oh nice! I'd been madly refreshing my email inbox, didn't think to check the actual mailbox haha.

My results were in the post yesterday too. Thanks again for all the feedback from the judges, was very useful stuff!

Thanks to all the judges, feedback much apprecaited!

Also, thanks to Andrew and Greg for making sure I did'nt mess the stewarding up!

Also got my feedback yesterday, thanks to everyone involved- it was very helpful and given me lots to think about improving for next time!

Been following along, and was close to entering into this comp as well, congrats to all the place getters.

can I ask the guys who have received feedback, what kind of feedback is provided?

I haven’t entered any comps previously, but really want to mainly to get the feedback and areas of improvement

Been following along, and was close to entering into this comp as well, congrats to all the place getters.

can I ask the guys who have received feedback, what kind of feedback is provided?

I haven’t entered any comps previously, but really want to mainly to get the feedback and areas of improvement
That’s exactly why I entered, to get feedback. Plus by stewarding for the day, I got to taste a ton of beer and here feedback straight away from the judges. Of the beers that were not so good, it seems a lot of people rush through primary without letting the yeast finish up, and that leaves faults in the beer.

Personally I’ve realised I’m leaving too much headspace in the bottle, and that’s prematurely aging my beer, and there were some oxidation comments as well. So I’m going to leave 1” max headspace in the future, and I’m starting work on a counter pressure filler bottling station.

The judges noted some malt/ingredient factors plus one on water chemistry as well that I’ve already addressed since making the beers I entered. So there were some quite clever feedback comments.

The IIPA I entered was well past it’s best, but still scored ok. Had I entered it when it was fresh I can see it would have done really well. So that’s another thing I learnt if you want to score well. Brew so your beers are at their best at the time of judging. I’m going to enter my third place Imperial Stout again next year and I’ll be very interested to see how it scores then.

That’s exactly why I entered, to get feedback. Plus by stewarding for the day, I got to taste a ton of beer and here feedback straight away from the judges. Of the beers that were not so good, it seems a lot of people rush through primary without letting the yeast finish up, and that leaves faults in the beer.

Personally I’ve realised I’m leaving too much headspace in the bottle, and that’s prematurely aging my beer, and there were some oxidation comments as well. So I’m going to leave 1” max headspace in the future, and I’m starting work on a counter pressure filler bottling station.

The judges noted some malt/ingredient factors plus one on water chemistry as well that I’ve already addressed since making the beers I entered. So there were some quite clever feedback comments.

The IIPA I entered was well past it’s best, but still scored ok. Had I entered it when it was fresh I can see it would have done really well. So that’s another thing I learnt if you want to score well. Brew so your beers are at their best at the time of judging. I’m going to enter my third place Imperial Stout again next year and I’ll be very interested to see how it scores then.
Mate that’s awesome,
I really need to start entering for these exact reasons.

whens the next comp in Vic?
Just about to run out of my sweet stout (fresh wort kit)
But have an ipa and a red ale ready to go

Back