2016 QLD Xmas Case Swap 17 Dec-Ravensbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
why not bump up the main list to 30 so that's a nice neat two cartons of PETs.
but then I'd need to buy a larger cube just for the swap, too. :(

We've already got 34 swappers as it stands.
10 (at the moment) is a nice number for a secondary swap and gets people involved that wouldn't have been able to.
I like the 24 number main swap. I generally output 27 or 28 bottles. So a few samples before the swap to make sure it's passable.

Bribie G said:
As I posted in the last swap, why not bump up the main list to 30 so that's a nice neat two cartons of PETs.
Most keggers have had to go out and buy bottles anyway so tuning the quantities to full carton is a sensible option.
Not everyone kegs, and 24 bottles allows for a 20L batch to be involved...like Angus said, and am sure it was said last time, 24 bottles allows most folks to have a couple samples of their own for tasting/checking.

It's interesting that this topic comes up every swap. The interest in SEQ is growing enormously.

I only made the second swap (which im fine with) but my personal view is the more the better.

I know sometimes you can over boil and be left with 21 litres instead of 23 or similar, but realistically, there's always a handful of swappers that fall short and submit a second brew to make up the numbers. Let's be honest, if you're only making one batch of beer between now and christmas somethings wrong!

We always have so much lead in time so it should be achievable to make any quantity around the 30-35 mark.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

If there is so much interest, why not run another swap. Swap 1 and swap 2. And at the next swap brewers could swap swaps.

Coopers kits do 30 bottles - I'd guess the kit size was tailored to selling you two cartons of empties in the first place.
Following on from that, over the years AG recipes are still framed in that 23L "default brew" size. I can't see what the problem is in producing that quantity for a swap.

Of course many of us keggers have slightly downscaled the process to just get the keg quantity but if you have the standard 30L fermenter and 20L cubes that probably hold 23L after you have been abusing them with boiling stuff for years you should be right.

Or brew a wee bit over grav and chuck in a couple of litres of de-ox water.

Who cares, it's only a swap..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

2c more:

The tradition of the 24 is solid from what I've found.

Let the swap2 be its own thing. Hopefully some of the swap 1 Brewers get tempted to make a second offering. Especially those who are judges/award winners.

Then the quality and experience grows both groups.

Maybe rename them from 1,2 to something more arbitrary.

Anyway, if we grouped them to a 43x something swap the tasting thread would be hectic. This way there will be two tasting threads.

I agree although don't see the issue of having a combined tasting thread

updated my beer

***SWAP BEERS MUST TO BE IN ~750ml PET PLASTIC BOTTLES ONLY***

Swap List 1.
1. evoo4u - A Christmas Julebryg
2. Motabika-Gotslandricka
3. Liam_Snorkel - RIM (russian imperial mid  )
4. Ballantyne
5. madpierre06
6. Earle
7. BPH87
8. Fattox - something summery and easy drinking, wheat based German beer of sorts
9. Peege
10.Benken25
11. Angus
12. Beersuit
13. NickB - Wild Fermented Ball Sweat
14. hwall95
15. Dan Barrington - TBD
16. whatever the **** Brad decides my name will be when the swap comes around.
17. Lukiferj
18. Nickxb - TBD
19.Winkle
20. Smokomark
21. Perko8 - tba. Never done this before but keen!
22. Tentative adr0 going to (tentatively) adjunct the living (well, actually, tentative) shit out of a (tentative) beer
23. Parks
24. tazman1967

Swap List 2. (Reserves for list 1)
1. pcqypcqy - probably a porter.
2. Bradsbrew - Barrel Aged Stout
3. Aydos - TBC
4. Robv
5. Ciderman - 1 yo Barrel Aged Lambic (if ready)
6. Seehuusen
7. giatuprs
8. Meddo

Pretty keen to get back on the 2nd list, looks like myself & Bribie G got dropped off somehow...

There you go. Sorry about That.

***SWAP BEERS MUST TO BE IN ~750ml PET PLASTIC BOTTLES ONLY***

Swap List 1.
1. evoo4u - A Christmas Julebryg
2. Motabika-Gotslandricka
3. Liam_Snorkel - RIM (russian imperial mid  )
4. Ballantyne
5. madpierre06
6. Earle
7. BPH87
8. Fattox - something summery and easy drinking, wheat based German beer of sorts
9. Peege
10.Benken25
11. Angus
12. Beersuit
13. NickB - Wild Fermented Ball Sweat
14. hwall95
15. Dan Barrington - TBD
16. whatever the **** Brad decides my name will be when the swap comes around.
17. Lukiferj
18. Nickxb - TBD
19.Winkle
20. Smokomark
21. Perko8 - tba. Never done this before but keen!
22. Tentative adr0 going to (tentatively) adjunct the living (well, actually, tentative) shit out of a (tentative) beer
23. Parks
24. tazman1967

Swap List 2. (Reserves for list 1)
1. pcqypcqy - probably a porter.
2. Bradsbrew - Barrel Aged Stout
3. Aydos - TBC
4. Robv
5. Ciderman - 1 yo Barrel Aged Lambic (if ready)
6. Seehuusen
7. giatuprs
8. Meddo
9. Reedy
10. Bribie G - not a malt liquo'

I'm happy with 2 swaps, always wondered if this is how it worked.

This is my first swap, so don't want to rock the boat, but it occurred to me that if you had 25 people bringing 24 bottles, you wouldn't end up with one of your own back. Makes for a bit more ginning around on the day though, so I understand why it is the way that it is currently.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm at 25 :)

pcqypcqy said:
This is my first swap, so don't want to rock the boat, but it occurred to me that if you had 25 people bringing 24 bottles, you wouldn't end up with one of your own back. Makes for a bit more ginning around on the day though, so I understand why it is the way that it is currently.
Bit more ginning about when sober = lot more ginning about at a swap. :ph34r:

Earle,

Would you consider brewing for the second pool as well?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Earle,

Would you consider brewing for the second pool as well?
Hadn't thought about it. I'm usually struggling to get one batch done for the swap.

Other random thoughts - If I did would I just make 2 batches of the same brew for both swaps or different brews? If I did 2 batches of the same brew would it just be better to have one much bigger swap. Can I live without drinking the beers in the 2nd swap even though some of them already look like they'll be great? Why do worms come out when its raining? Why can't I find cosdog's name on either swap list. What is the meaning of life? Should i stop typing crap?

earle said:
Hadn't thought about it. I'm usually struggling to get one batch done for the swap.

Other random thoughts - If I did would I just make 2 batches of the same brew for both swaps or different brews? If I did 2 batches of the same brew would it just be better to have one much bigger swap. Can I live without drinking the beers in the 2nd swap even though some of them already look like they'll be great? Why do worms come out when its raining? Why can't I find cosdog's name on either swap list. What is the meaning of life? Should i stop typing crap?

Latest posts

Back