2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you may remember my Cluster hop pic from last season earlier this year. It didn't grow bines any longer than 2.5 metres. I expect it will probably get to 3 metres next year.
Nice hop actually, as it has loads of aroma and lots of tropical fruit flavour with low levels of bitterness. Citrus tends to dominate, with the flavour tending to passion fruit depending on how sweet the brew is. Grapefruit comes through with more IBU as you would expect with any citrus flavoured hop.

hops_pre_harvest__cluster_and_goldings_and_por_early_march_2012_004.jpg

Some of you may remember my Williamette hop pic from last season earlier this year. The Williamette is pictured 2nd from the right, or 3rd from the left, it is the smallest one. It is the first year I have grown this variety which must be a dwarf variety because it didn't grow bines any longer than 1.5 metres. I expect it will probably get to 2 metres next year. You will only need a trellis 6 1/2 feet high for Wialliamette.
Williamette.jpg.

Some of you may remember my Williamette hop pic from last season earlier this year. The Williamette is pictured 2nd from the right, or 3rd from the left, it is the smallest one. It is the first year I have grown this variety which must be a dwarf variety because it didn't grow bines any longer than 1.5 metres. I expect it will probably get to 2 metres next year. You will only need a trellis 6 1/2 feet high for Wialliamette.
View attachment 56651.

LOL that sounds pretty funny Malted. I don't know if you're trying to make a joke there. :lol:

I also had a hop that did similar to your Willamette. I aquired it from ebay under the name Tettnang. I have since learned that our Tettnang in oz is actually the same as Fuggle, so that is what I call it now, Fuggle.
I haven't made any presumptions about how tall it will grow this season. It was the biggest rhizome I planted last year in my first season of hop growing and like your Willamette only got to 1.5 metre.
Reading up on hops last week I notice that in the US where they grow Fuggle they don't train it in the first year.
With my Cluster I planted 2 of them and they did exactly the same thing so it wasn't a 1 off. :mellow:

LOL that sounds pretty funny hoppy2B. I don't know if you're trying to make a joke there. :lol:

I also had a hop that did similar to your Tettnanger. I aquired it from ebay under the name Chinook. I have since learned that our Chinook in oz is actually the same as Motueka, so that is what I call it now, Motueka.
I haven't made any presumptions about how tall it will grow this season. It was the biggest rhizome I planted last year in my third season of hop growing and like your PooR only got to 6.5 metres.
Reading up on beards last week I notice that in the US where they grow facial hair they don't train it in the first year.
With my Motueka I planted 6 of them and they did exactly the same thing so it wasn't a 1 off. :mellow:

It cant really just be me who's seeing this, can it?
:D
Yeah Dave I am tall but not that tall. It's a waste of time having a flagpole arrangement to hoist them up and down for harvesting, ladders are so much more fun. It suits me but your results may vary...

:D
Yeah Dave I am tall but not that tall. It's a waste of time having a flagpole arrangement to hoist them up and down for harvesting, ladders are so much more fun. It suits me but your results may vary...

In that case, it is just me. No surprise there. I meant the hops looked like a man in green trousers on stilts..

Be that as it may, I screwed 4 self tappers into an Ironbark in the backyard at 5m up. Its going to look great I reckon.

I heard somewhere your better of letting them die back naturally (as opposed to cutting them off straight away) after harvest to let all the goodness return into the roots, hence growing them vertically rather than along the fence.

Sound like bullshit?

I saw your tall man there Dave but was too busy chuckling at the Malted/hoppy/iamozziyob fun and games to bother replying. :D

And if anyone is interested I've still only got bloody peas coming up in my so called hop plantations...

I heard somewhere your better of letting them die back naturally (as opposed to cutting them off straight away) after harvest to let all the goodness return into the roots,
Sound like bullshit?

I don't think it sounds like bullshit. Most crops will put some nutrient back into the roots-bulb-rhizome before dropping the leaf or dieing back. Once leaf is gone I wouldn't hesitate to prune.

Disclaimer: not a hop grower here really, just using my basic knowledge of plants :D

I trimmed one of my 1st year plants back last year quite close to the ground and a few weeks earlier than the others, and it fecking died.

I heard somewhere your better of letting them die back naturally (as opposed to cutting them off straight away) after harvest to let all the goodness return into the roots, hence growing them vertically rather than along the fence.

Sound like bullshit?

That's what I did - might also have been the cause to why my bulbs are above ground.

I got an evil fuggles rhizome today and thought I should do it justice.

1.JPG

Alien anyone?

2.JPG

:super:

3.JPG

Area selected

4.JPG

Puff.. puff..

5.JPG

soil revitalised

6.JPG

Home

Spent a little bit of time last night increasing my Line Yardage, its always been difficult to get a good angle to show the Hop Yard but I found that from the roof of the brewery is not so bad.

Capture.JPG

The good thing about the setup now is that the Pole is tied in both directions so should go some way to evening the load on it.. not that it is a real issue... I welded that bad boy real nice like.

:beerbang:

Malted is the only one doing nangs. <_<

Gotta say I totally agree with this. I so don't know how I didn't see Dave's green man on stilts in my hop garden. :unsure:
After a couple of drinks the other night it was then plain as day. Remarkable likeness Dave, well done. :lol:

Well mine have managed to shoot out of the ground now. Popped up about an inch overnight, still in frost season down this way, so I've now covered them in about 50mm of pea straw, to hopefully keep things warmer.

Back