2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has got me super keen for next season. When should I be on the look out for rhizomes?

Mid-to-late Winter. That is when people will divide the dormant rhizomes for planting in spring.

@ Grain Stain.
You may not have to give up yet. If you maintain the water and nutrients (a bigger issue for pots than in the soil) they could throw lots more laterals or even new bines. They still have some good growing weather left up their sleeves.

Mid-to-late Winter. That is when people will divide the dormant rhizomes for planting in spring.

@ Grain Stain.
You may not have to give up yet. If you maintain the water and nutrients (a bigger issue for pots than in the soil) they could throw lots more laterals or even new bines. They still have some good growing weather left up their sleeves.

I second that. My Saaz is wanting to put up lots of new growth but I am over it. I want to get rid of the Saaz and Goldings and stick with my Cluster and maybe something else that puts out large cones.
I was examining my Cluster hops yesterday and couldn't believe how sweet and fruity their aroma is. Saaz is like cat piss in comparison and Goldings has no aroma whatsoever! May be a bit early for the Goldings.

both my plants have like 100 new shoots off the main bines, they are climbing anything they can get there hands on! but I guess summer only started about 5 days ago!

I second that. My Saaz is wanting to put up lots of new growth but I am over it. I want to get rid of the Saaz and Goldings and stick with my Cluster and maybe something else that puts out large cones.
I was examining my Cluster hops yesterday and couldn't believe how sweet and fruity their aroma is. Saaz is like cat piss in comparison and Goldings has no aroma whatsoever! May be a bit early for the Goldings.

Don't judge a hop cone by it's size. Who says bigger is better?
They will be more aromatic/pungent when dried.
In my yard Saaz appears to be a later developing variety compared to others such as Chinook (late growing but early flowering).
It seems to me that you want the lupulin a nice golden orange colour. A weak/light yellow colour means they are not ready yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess the NSW south coast climate is good for Saaz's. If I hadn't of mulched with grass clippings and starved the rhizome, I would've expected more 4 - 5cm cones!
A good Saaz cone is more like a large catterpillar than an acorn shape I've found...
hop2.jpg
That's Saaz on the bottom, Mt.Hood on top

The Saaz cones were all hiding under the leafy folliage - even the big ones.
Didn't think I had many, but a dried 95g is a good start... many a new shoot arriving too, like yours KG :)

This look like I may be in another circle, but I've vac sealed 450g Mt.Hood and 95g of Saaz.

Bagged_hops.jpg

Should keep me going for a while!

Can't wait for next season - will definately be sprinkling garbage bins full of soil and rhizomes all over the yard with trellis totem poles like some of you ideas men out there...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't judge a hop cone by it's size. Who says bigger is better?
They will be more aromatic/pungent when dried.
In my yard Saaz appears to be a later developing variety compared to others such as Chinook (late growing but early flowering).
It seems to me that you want the lupulin a nice golden orange colour. A weak/light yellow colour means they are not ready yet.
Saaz was the first thing up in my yard. I figured that was typical of its habit so it could grow long and spindly.

Saaz was the first thing up in my yard. I figured that was typical of its habit so it could grow long and spindly.

Yes me too. Early to grow, later to develop cones. Later developing cones than others is what I meant.

Heap of Perle this year. The Fuggles really struggled though!

gallery_21633_866_90383.jpg

While drying them, I had to chase a silverfish out of the rack.
Apart from aphids on the vines, has anyone else had any issues with pests?

So far I'm up to 80g of dried Perle and there's another lot of buds coming through. :icon_chickcheers:

This thread has got me super keen for next season. When should I be on the look out for rhizomes?

Usual timing's about June/July to pick them up, keep them in the fridge wrapped in some damp cloth and then plant around early August, depends on whereabouts you are.

Plenty of brewers here sell them off, and Hopco in tassie get some in too.

If anyone wants a Sazz or hersbruker rhizome, I'll have plenty after the season, just come and pick them up. I didnt dig the sazz up last year so the roots are taking over my veggie patch, the hersbrucker is the same even though I dug it up chopped it in half and replanted.

I'll post some pics of my plants later

I've got a little plant here at work. I'm pretty certain it's Perle, but it could be a Chinook.
It's suprisingly lived over a year in a pot but the recent move to the new building hasn't treated it kindly, so I'm happy to pass it off.

If you're in the Sydney CBD (I'm next to Town Hall Stn) and are willing to take a plant in a pot it's all yours.
Hey I'll even provide a few plastic bags to carry it in.
First in first served.
Pete
ps. no it hasn't produced any hops... stick it in the ground and it may.

Have been harvesting my first year POR over the last 4 days, finishing up tonight with a total of 2.8kg wet.
So aiming to translate 20% of that dry, if a little less i will not be worried ;)

Chinook has lots of flowers starting to form, looks like they will be more uniform in size and maturity which will be good.

Heres some happy snaps

POR smells really nice, a little fruity - kinda like a fresh ripe pineapple, a little bit of spice.

hopsharvest_001.jpg hopsharvest_002.jpg
hopsharvest_003.jpg hopsharvest_004.jpg
hopsharvest_005.jpg hopsharvest_006.jpg
hopsharvest_007.jpg

what reduction rate are people getting I picked some of the earlier hops 400g and dried in dehydrator to 80g a 20% reduction. I was expecting more as heard 10% is the go but when checking weight 8 hours later it hadn't changed so guessed it was done. What's the problems with drying to much anyways ?

what reduction rate are people getting I picked some of the earlier hops 400g and dried in dehydrator to 80g a 20% reduction. I was expecting more as heard 10% is the go but when checking weight 8 hours later it hadn't changed so guessed it was done. What's the problems with drying to much anyways ?

Hey man,

They are as dry as they need to be. The 10% you heard, is there final weight in water not the reduction %. They start at about 80% then down to 10%.

I am going to run with a reduction to approx 33% of Original Weight with mine. First Year harvest.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back