2011 Esb Winter Warmer Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does HC stand for in the judging sheet please.

Cheers, Hoges.

Highly Commended perhaps?

Wow, I got a HC (assuming thats Highly Commended. Yes ?) with an ESB in the ESB comp.....

Really very pleased.

I thought it tasted OK. It varied quite a bit depending on the bottle. The keg tasted very different.
Some bottles were overgassed. Be really pissed if I was marked down hard for gas volumes. Only one point difference to get a place.

Will I get a certificate for a HC?

BOG

Yes HC = Highly Commended

Yes you will get a Certificate

Cheers

P1

Thanks for getting the results posted up so fast- just a shame my name wasn't on the results sheet! Oh well, maybe next year...

Nice work, ESB.

Thanks Korev and the other organisers and judges. Congrats to all winners especially Sam and Joe, well done guys. Happy with my 3rd for my FES also looking forward to reading the judges feedback on my entries especially my Barleywine and Doppelbock. Being the first time I have brewed either style, Im keen to modify the recipes and technique to make them better.

Thanks again guys!

Cheers

Thanks for getting the results posted up so fast- just a shame my name wasn't on the results sheet! Oh well, maybe next year...

Nice work, ESB.
+1. ESB'ers. Like the fact your website shows winning recipes.
Looking forward to the tasting notes. I had high hopes for my BDSA, and spent the last 2 weeks wondering where to fit that kegerator. (cue the sad violin)

Kelly, if the Tripel you placed with is the same in the Special Case Swap, it's a well deserved win.
It's a delicious beer!

Congrats to all the winners.
Pete

Wow, I got a HC (assuming thats Highly Commended. Yes ?) with an ESB in the ESB comp.....

Really very pleased.

I thought it tasted OK. It varied quite a bit depending on the bottle. The keg tasted very different.
Some bottles were overgassed. Be really pissed if I was marked down hard for gas volumes. Only one point difference to get a place.

Will I get a certificate for a HC?

BOG

Sorry after a re-read that didn't come over correctly.

That should have been , pissed off with myself I made a mistake at priming sugar amounts, not what it sounded..... sorry

BOG

Got me by 0.25 Sam!

What a close comp!

Thanks so much Peter and all the other ESBers and of course the sponsors. Sorry I couldn't help out stewarding again this year (on holiday in Europe).

Congratulations to the other winners. I'm sure you'll have a great day brewing at the Lord Nelson Joe, it's a great prize.

Peter, here are the details for my batch of ESB. I ran out of maris otter which is why I used some JW traditional ale and some biscuit. Also ran out of fuggles, so it's almost a single hop beer.

15 min EKG addition was in the cube (no-chill). Pitched a 1.5L starter of 1469 at 18C and let it rise to and ferment at 20C. IIRC the FG got down further than 1.020 but I don't have a record of it unfortunately.

Recipe: ESB
Style: 8C-English Pale Ale-Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 25.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Water Added: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 19.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.058 SG
Expected OG: 1.065 SG
Expected FG: 1.020 SG
Expected ABV: 6.1 %
Expected ABW: 4.8 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 49.2
Expected Color: 13.2 SRM
Apparent Attenuation: 69.0 %
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 20 degC

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 5.000 kg (74.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
Australian Traditional Ale Malt 0.830 kg (12.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Crystal - Heritage (Medium) 0.400 kg (5.9 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraRed 0.200 kg (3.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
US Victory Malt 0.100 kg (1.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma 0.100 kg (1.5 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Biscuit Malt 0.100 kg (1.5 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Golding (4.5 % alpha) 55 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Fuggle (5.6 % alpha) 8 g Loose Pellet Hops used All Of Boil
UK Golding (4.5 % alpha) 60 g Loose Pellet Hops used 15 Min From End
UK Golding (4.5 % alpha) 40 g Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients

Yeast: Wyeast 1469-West Yorkshire Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (67C/152F)
Step: Rest at 67 degC for 60 mins

Thanks for the recipe Sam - 1469 yeast and Goldings might try that myself

P1

My thanks also to the judges & organisers. Congratulations to the winners - wow Sam, you are de man!

Just got my Scoresheets yesterday! Top work to the comp organisers.

Good judging notes. As mine was a thrown together recipe I wasn''t sure whether to enter it as a RIS or a BDSA (incorrectly went with the latter), but the judges got it right.

Thanks once again guys.
Pete

Received judging sheets today. Many thanks to Matt and Phillip for their detailed comments.

Very fast feedback guys! Was great entering your comp from the Hunter. The feedback was fantastic and the time to get it in the mail just as good. Well done guys, looks like you guys are great organisers. Not sure who in particular ran it all but great work! Thanks for the good scores also!

Was just going to echo everyone elses sentiments so far - thanks for the great and quick feedback!

me too, receiving the feedback was fantasic, thanks to the good folk involved,

Ditto. My very detailed scoresheets arrived Tuesday.

Thanks to all involved. And congratulations to all the winners.

My thanks also to the judges & organisers. Congratulations to the winners - wow Sam, you are de man!

Certificate, score sheets & voucher arrived today! Thanks again to all involved

Latest posts

Back