2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Boston.

Might need to update that soonish (when I say update I mean upload some more old stuff - only the mouse drawing is new).

My hops seem quite slow this season but they are definitely starting to make their presence known. I even think I've worked out which is which.

Still don't know where to send the dead Northern Rivers Funnelweb, mate - there's a Redback in the jar too now.

I'll trade a PM'ed address with you.

Sorry I thought you'd forgotten and didn't want to be pushy.

ESB, IPA or APA?

Quick question about the shoots are you meant to snip them and only leave one runner or do you just let them go and train them all.

Leave them all IMO. The more leaves, the more energy the plant can absorb.

Quick question about the shoots are you meant to snip them and only leave one runner or do you just let them go and train them all.

Just let them grow and disregard anyone who says otherwise unless you know for sure they're an expert, and even then make sure they're specifically recommending it in your situation.

Here's mine

I have chinook, goldings and Mt Hood, my cascade didn't start (it didn't look good when I got it).

Now need to figure out what to do to raise it above the 2mtr height of the old swing.

HPIM0092.jpg
HPIM0093.jpg
HPIM0094.jpg
HPIM0095.jpg

Mine were twirling up FAST around the two wooden sticks I set up for them but at ~70 cm height, they seem to have frozen in growth. Can't seem to see them grow any further. First year Hallertauer. The initial pest problem went away with the application of yeast trub and spent grain... Are they just building roots ATM?! hmnnn.. another pic time when I get a chance. And yes, I've been weeding around to keep the competition low. There is some basil, sage and coriander sharing the turf but except the basil bush those plants are tiny compared to the hops.

Mine were twirling up FAST around the two wooden sticks I set up for them but at ~70 cm height, they seem to have frozen in growth. Can't seem to see them grow any further. First year Hallertauer. The initial pest problem went away with the application of yeast trub and spent grain... Are they just building roots ATM?! hmnnn.. another pic time when I get a chance. And yes, I've been weeding around to keep the competition low. There is some basil, sage and coriander sharing the turf but except the basil bush those plants are tiny compared to the hops.

Mine have done that. My cascade popped up early, had a growth spurt, and is now a moody teenager, refusing to grow. Loitering in my garden.

I just hope he doesnt get mixed up in the wrong crowd.

Mine have done that. My cascade popped up early, had a growth spurt, and is now a moody teenager, refusing to grow. Loitering in my garden.

I just hope he doesnt get mixed up in the wrong crowd.

I've had the same issue a few times. It tends to be first year plants that do it in my experience although my cascade, now in its third year, has done it every year. I have two first year plants this year and both have come up fast and slowed. leave them be and they'll be right. Last year I had the same issue with the first year plants and they ended up sending up shoots much later in the season (Feb) and gave me a good crop. I was picking in late may.

I don't have many pics bar this one from my parents place. I had run out of room at my place with Saaz, Goldings, Fuggles, Super Alpha, PoR, Columbus, Cluster, Chinook, Victoria, Cascade, and a couple of other varieties.
Hops.jpg

not a worry then. I will give it some root building fertilizer to help it along. I chose a spot that will let the bines grow up and be able to get the sun all day long once they have grown and travelled horizontally on the beams connecting the fence to the house, which means, right now they don't get the sun throughout the day, half shaded by the fence and the house on either side.... I just wish they grew up into the right position quicker.

Just a quick before and after: My POR is now gone above the "trellis" (string), so i have lowered it a bit so it can continue to grow towards the sky. Also, they are all starting to get really leafy, There are lateral bines growing out above each leaf on the main stem.

Before:

IMG01624-20101029-1432.jpg

IMG01623-20101029-1432.jpg

and after:

IMG01626-20101029-1440.jpg

I can only recommend this method to anyone whose plants outgrow the trellis, just extend the line and let the lower parts of the plant sit close to the ground, maybe tie it to the trellis so that it doesn't rot.
I have only lowered it a little for now as I want it to attach better to the new string first as i presume that the old string will eventually rip apart. In a few days I will have to lower it again.

Thought I'd add a few pics of my hop plantation.
First year Saaz and Cascade
Second year POR and Chinook

Saaz and Cascade

100_3793.jpg

POR up front and Chinook at the back
100_3795.jpg

I also had a crack at propagating my rhizomes this year no Luck with the POR but I just noticed today that the Chinook has 2 shoots that have just popped up.

Free to a good home in the pot if someone want to come pick it up from Melton, 40 odd K's west of Melbourne. PM for details.
100_3797.jpg

100_3798.jpg

100_3799.jpg

Hi Guys,

I have enjoyed looking through your hop pictures :)

Found some very early burrs yesterday on a 'red' hop I have bred, unnamed as yet, referred to as 'red' because of its young red cones ...they slowly go to green when full-sized. Plant is in its third season and these are the two leading bines which are growing vigorously, both are at just over two metres. Burrs are growing on both bines, they start at about one metre.

Last year the burrs formed at around normal time, but plant continued to produce new cones right up to dieback.

earliest_burrs___write_Oct_28th.jpg

Commercial hop breeders probably binned plants like this that showed extreme lack of uniformity.

I have had feedback that it makes a nice brew. :icon_cheers:

Regards,

Rupert.

I started wrapping my hops around baleing twine. I noticed some wearing on the hop where it was wrapping around the twine a bit to late and the top end of my bine snapped off. I'm assuming baling twine isn't an appropriate line to grow around (?) or could this have been caused by something else?

I started wrapping my hops around baleing twine. I noticed some wearing on the hop where it was wrapping around the twine a bit to late and the top end of my bine snapped off. I'm assuming baling twine isn't an appropriate line to grow around (?) or could this have been caused by something else?
Were your hops bines already quite large when you wrapped them to the
twine? I've read that hops use little hairs to grab on to surfaces to get a
foothold and have found young bines to be quite grabby. What I'm getting
at is that if the bines were quite mature when wrapped, they haven't had a
change to get a grip on the twine so could do with extra support. I had
long blades of grass around the place and found that I can use them to tie
bines to supports.

Just thinking about what you said about the top end snapping off, could it
be the top (young) end established a good grip but because the sections
below aren't well secured are pulling down on the top end and causing the
break?

What's baling twine anyway? Is it made of some kind of plastic like nylon
or something and is really smooth? Twine with rough surfaces would
probably be best to use.

Perhaps you could make regularly spaced knots (e.g every 6 inches or so)
on the twine before wrapping the hops to it - maybe next time if too late
- to create extra places for the hop to get extra grip if the twine is quite
smooth.

T.

Were your hops bines already quite large when you wrapped them to the
twine? I've read that hops use little hairs to grab on to surfaces to get a
foothold and have found young bines to be quite grabby. What I'm getting
at is that if the bines were quite mature when wrapped, they haven't had a
change to get a grip on the twine so could do with extra support. I had
long blades of grass around the place and found that I can use them to tie
bines to supports.

Just thinking about what you said about the top end snapping off, could it
be the top (young) end established a good grip but because the sections
below aren't well secured are pulling down on the top end and causing the
break?

What's baling twine anyway? Is it made of some kind of plastic like nylon
or something and is really smooth? Twine with rough surfaces would
probably be best to use.

Perhaps you could make regularly spaced knots (e.g every 6 inches or so)
on the twine before wrapping the hops to it - maybe next time if too late
- to create extra places for the hop to get extra grip if the twine is quite
smooth.

T.

The bine was about 40cms before I started to train it to the line. 'Baling twine' is the stuff used to tie bales of hay together (the small rectangle ones). It would be some sort of plastic. I've had a dig around now and the natural fibre materials seem to be recommended

The bine was about 40cms before I started to train it to the line. 'Baling twine' is the stuff used to tie bales of hay together (the small rectangle ones). It would be some sort of plastic. I've had a dig around now and the natural fibre materials seem to be recommended
I've just wrapped one of the bines of my goldings (the tallest one right now)
with sisal - will post some pixes soon - natural, meant to last reasonably well
and about $20 for 140m from the big read & green place. Probably good to
stick with the uncoloured version as well.

T.

So my Cascade have been going great guns, even survived a caterpillar attack, but can anyone diagnose what is hapenning now? (see attaced photo)

Spider mite? Bad soil pH? Bad soil? Not enough water?

IMG_0343.JPG

Latest posts

Back