2009 Wa State Amateur Brewers Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
Perth (and regional WA) brewers - the time is near for the 3rd Annual WA State Amateur Brewers Competition. The entry pack is now available for download, and the drop off points confirmed.

Website is at: http://wasabc.org

Entries close 5pm Sunday 6th September. Make sure your beers get there in time, and be sure to check the opening hours of the entry point. Judging will be on Sunday 13th September.

Prizes will be announced in the coming weeks, and other details such as the awards night will be announced closer to the time.

We are also seeking volunteers for stewarding. If you're interested in volunteering, please drop an email to [email protected]

Any questions let me know!

Cheers

Perth (and regional WA) brewers - the time is near for the 3rd Annual WA State Amateur Brewers Competition. The entry pack is now available for download, and the drop off points confirmed.

Website is at: http://wasabc.org

Entries close 5pm Sunday 6th September. Make sure your beers get there in time, and be sure to check the opening hours of the entry point. Judging will be on Sunday 13th September.

Prizes will be announced in the coming weeks, and other details such as the awards night will be announced closer to the time.

We are also seeking volunteers for stewarding. If you're interested in volunteering, please drop an email to [email protected]

Any questions let me know!

Cheers

The link is not working kook....

Still cant get on something wrong with it at work...

but I dont believe you Rob.

Hi Katie - sorry I didn't pick up on this earlier! Hope the site works fine for you now - I've tested it from multiple locations with no problem.

It's getting closer now guys - hope your entries are ready! Still more details to come re prizes etc in the coming weeks, but it looks like the winning beer of show will get their beer on tap at a local WA brewpub that ends in Monk ;)

2009 results have now been released, and are available for download here. Thank you to all who attended the awards night at Mad Monk Brewery Restaurant.

Congratulations to all medal winners, and thank you to all entrants for your support.

Score sheets will be sent via email this weekend. For any entrants who did not supply an email address, you should receive your score sheets in the mail in the next fortnight.

Any medal winners which were not present at the awards night will be contacted in the next week with details as to where they can pick up their medal (and prize if applicable).

Congrats to Lates Brewing! :icon_chickcheers: and all the other entrants by the look of the scores there were some very toughly contested styles.

Bring on the AABC's!

Chappo

Hey Guys,

first of all what a slick, well run competition and awards night massive pat on the back for kook.

second Congratulations to Ron Sullivan for BOS & Asher Mitchell for Champion Brewer (3rd Year in a row!)

Looks like the beer that did best for me this year was a American IPA i brewed to celebrate Daryn's 40th Birthday

it made it to the Beer of Show Round with an average score of 40.33

in the spirit of things here is the recipe i used =

EYE PEE AYE

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 28.00 Wort Size (L): 28.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.30
Anticipated OG: 1.061 Plato: 14.97
Anticipated EBC: 20.3
Anticipated IBU: 59.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.7 5.70 kg. Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
19.3 1.60 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 15
5.0 0.41 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 48
4.8 0.40 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
2.2 0.19 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
60.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.80 32.1 60 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 2.6 15 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.80 4.6 15 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.70 5.8 15 min.
5.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 1.8 15 min.
5.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 2.2 15 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 1.6 5 min.
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.80 2.9 5 min.
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.70 3.6 5 min.
5.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 1.1 5 min.
5.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 1.4 5 min.
10.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.60 0.0 Dry Hop
20.00 g. Cascade Pellet 7.80 0.0 Dry Hop
20.00 g. Centennial Pellet 9.70 0.0 Dry Hop
5.00 g. Chinook Pellet 12.00 0.0 Dry Hop
5.00 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

US-05

Rob.

Nice looking grain bill there Rob. Did you get any reddish tint? I know I was drinking it all night the other day, but in my defense I was drunk and I was using a stein.

The temptation to edit your post and add ginger to the recipe is overwhelming.

Nice looking grain bill there Rob. Did you get any reddish tint?

I drank a whole ~250ml of this beer and that was the first pour while testing the tap out, but i recall holding it up to the light
and being quite happy with the colour, wish i took a photo now hopefully Daryn still has some left and can snap a pic for us?

Rob.

I drank a whole ~250ml of this beer and that was the first pour while testing the tap out, but i recall holding it up to the light
and being quite happy with the colour, wish i took a photo now hopefully Daryn still has some left and can snap a pic for us?

Rob.

I remember the Dirty Celebration IPA which was a forerunner of this beer and did well at the comp last year had a very faint reddish tint, best I go pour a pint and check :icon_cheers:

GL I'll rack you off a bottle if Rob doesnt mind

2009 results have now been released, and are available for download here. Thank you to all who attended the awards night at Mad Monk Brewery Restaurant.

Congratulations to all medal winners, and thank you to all entrants for your support.

Score sheets will be sent via email this weekend. For any entrants who did not supply an email address, you should receive your score sheets in the mail in the next fortnight.

Any medal winners which were not present at the awards night will be contacted in the next week with details as to where they can pick up their medal (and prize if applicable).

Congrats to all the winning brewers and a special mention for Asher with the 3rd straight champion brewer award. Maybe next year give it a miss Asher and let someone else have a chance eh?? <_< :p

Yes I collected a few medals but I'm going to make it my goal for next year to be champion brewer.

Andrew

I would be happy to just get one beer into the BOS round :)

Latest posts

Back