2008 Nsw Xmas Case Swap - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love all the bottle bombs and gushers in the case swaps. Shows what a professional bunch of brewers we are :D

Brew: Matt n AJ - Chokesy Brown - Northern English Brown Ale
Date: 11/12/08
Beer info: Brown crownseal 750ml bottle , red cap "27", 4.8% bottled 4/11/08

Sampling notes:
Served chilled in glass.
Barely a whisper upon opening. Pours a cleanish mid-amber with a thin ring of offwhite foam.
Malt-driven aroma, quite subdued. Nutty, burnt toffee, cocoa, cola-sweetness,
slight breadiness and a vinous note that I can't quite put my finger on.
Body has a decent fullness about it, carbonation is near-flat giving it a slightly syrupy texture. Dries out quite quickly, bitterness appears to be reasonably low.
Flavour leads on from the nose; crystal malt nuttiness, biscuity, slight roasted grain quality, cola-sweetness, some leafy/earthy hoppiness detectable. Finish reminds me of a dense bread like rye, drying and somewhat spicy.
Can never remember which English Brown ale is suppose to be the hoppy one, but i'm assuming it must be the Southern style. Nice malty ale Matt n AJ, just a shame about the carbonation. Maybe it needs some more bottle conditioning? I know some these sort of beers get better with a bit of age. Cheers.

I love all the bottle bombs and gushers in the case swaps. Shows what a professional bunch of brewers we are :D

At this point a gusher would be great.....

24 (or 10 on lid) Hewy's Hefe (looking forward to this all day I might add)

Tasting Notes 11/12

Cap fell off under gentle pressure to reveal a small piece of paper with H possibly a K written on it in texta. This had somehow been caught up between cap and bottle top.

IMG_2962.JPG

Nevertheless, I poured the Hefe into my weizen glass, dead flat, some bubbles from agitation but no carb at all.
Appearance: despite the lack of foam appearance was good, nice colour and yeast suspension.
Aroma: Wonderful, precisely balanced esters/phenols moderate fruit and hint of clove. Nice...
Flavour: Good balance of flavours, wheat and malt in harmony with the yeast, but no carb.
Overall Impression: I am filthy :angry: , it tastes and smells like a great Hefeweizen but failed at the post to be drinkable.

oh well...

grant

9. Grantw - Belgian Blonde Ale 7.9%, Bottled 10/10/08 Wyeast 1214

Pours clear with a nice head but it disappears after a bit. Belgian type aroma with some underlying maltiness. Flavour is good, quite malty. A bit dryer than I was expecting, but thats good for me. Bitterness is strange, mostly at the front of the tongue (sorry Im so crap at describing Belgians). Im really quite enjoying this one, not like any blonde Ive had before with lots of stuff going on to enjoy. Thanks Grant. Good beer.

Cheers
Andrew.

At this point a gusher would be great.....

24 (or 10 on lid) Hewy's Hefe (looking forward to this all day I might add)

Tasting Notes 11/12

Cap fell off under gentle pressure to reveal a small piece of paper with H possibly a K written on it in texta. This had somehow been caught up between cap and bottle top.

View attachment 23181

Nevertheless, I poured the Hefe into my weizen glass, dead flat, some bubbles from agitation but no carb at all.
Appearance: despite the lack of foam appearance was good, nice colour and yeast suspension.
Aroma: Wonderful, precisely balanced esters/phenols moderate fruit and hint of clove. Nice...
Flavour: Good balance of flavours, wheat and malt in harmony with the yeast, but no carb.
Overall Impression: I am filthy :angry: , it tastes and smells like a great Hefeweizen but failed at the post to be drinkable.

oh well...

grant

My #24 was flat too. Didn't notice any paper stuck under the bottlecap, but then I'm not one for details either :p

Brew: 8. jonw - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.
Beer info: Brown twisttop 750ml bottle Bottled 15/11/08. Gold cap marked '8'

Sampling notes:
Served chilled in glass.
Good pop. Pours a persistance creamy white head atop quite a clean golden body.
Aroma hits me straight away with hops; ripe tropical fruit, freshly mown grass, citrus and vinous Sav. Blanc.-like 'gooseberry' sweetness. Hint of grainy/cereal malt in the background.
Light bodied, moderate carbonation giving the body a creamy texture. Not too dry, slight metallic bitterness that but not in a harsh way.
Very nice hop character on the body; passionfruit, unripe nectarine, rockmelon, grapefruit, big hit of grass in there too. Malt takes backseat lending only a slight sweetness and cereal quality toward the end of the palate. Finish has a good linger bitterness at the top of the mouth, begging for another mouthful.
Bloody nice summer quaffer this one! Clean, crisp, easy-drinking with a excellent hop character and bitter finish. Thanks alot Jon!

7. DiscoStu's Dunkelweisen

Opened this one over the sink given the carbonation warning, but no gush. This made me happy. Started pouring slowly into my cooled glass jug. Filled to the brim with foam and no beer underneath for a good 5 mins, so I poured some more into a 500ml glass while the jug settled. Eventually got to the yeast with all the foamy beer in two vessels. Aroma at this stage was phenolic with a little bit of strong sour ester. As the foam settled, the aroma got more distinctly and deliciously phenolic.

Unfortunately the carbonation raised all the yeast from the bottle. I like my dunkels poured off the yeast, but oh, well, I'll survive ;). Beer is a dark brown/orange colour and has held quite some carbonation despite the massive head. Flavour is of caramel and phenols with a touch of roast. Nice. As the beer settles down, less carbon bite and the smoother it tastes.

Very nice beer, just a shame about the priming. Doesn't give the taster the opportunity to leave yeast behind.

Brew: 20. Redbeard - Summer Wheat Ale
Beer info: Brown twisttop 800ml bottle Gold cap '20'

Sampling notes:
Served chilled in glass.
Low pop. Pours a reasonably clear golden body with a small white cap.
Grainy malt nose, slight caramel/melanoidin-like sweetness about it but I could be talking out of my ass. Hops in the background, slight spicy grassiness...again, talking out of ass.
Carbonation is there, reasonably lively, body has a moderate malt richness to it yet still lean, slightly gritty drying texture that I generally associated with wheat malt is in there too.
Body starts with a buttery burnt caramel maltiness (diacetyl!?) with slight cereal character. Some hop character joins the show, a bit of leaf, bit of citrus, bit of spice, seems like a subtle English hopiness, the warmer it gets the more familiar it seems. Reasonably low bitterness to finish, slight hint of apple, drying out quite quickly.
Certainly a quaffer, wasn't sure what to expect actually! I convinced myself it was an English blond sort of ale, and it seems fitting enough. Anyway, enough of my ramblings, once this beer warmed to the occasion it was very enjoyable. Would make a killer cask ale. Cheers Redbeard!

No 20 Redbeard Summer Wheat

BJCP style guides didn't help here so its all off the top of my head.

Opened bottle with a slight hiss poured agressively for a nice foam stand and rich honey colour.
Aroma: sweet and tart, green crisp hop -- plus a tart almost raspberry, green, earl grey tea perfume
Flavour: this is a complex beer and somehow confusing - sweet malt flavour, followed by tart fruit, could be hop, definitely not phenolic and can't place it.
Overall: Not what I was expecting but really enjoyed it, particulary the summer fruit. Perhaps more carb? Thanks Redbeard, quite like it.

Brew: No.3 Stuster - Flip-flop Saison
10/12/08

Served chilled in a Belgian Glass

Aroma: Wonderful fruity aroma with some spicy notes and I think some floral hops aromas as well
Appearence: Crystal clear, golden colour with a thick creamy white head that persisted well
Flavour: Well balanced flavour, with fruity hops, some spicy characteristics and some light hops bitterness in the background

First time I've tasted this style and I found it a very refreshing beer to drink, could have easily knocked of another one.

Great beer, would love to see the recipe Stuster.

My #24 was flat too. Didn't notice any paper stuck under the bottlecap, but then I'm not one for details either :p

Sorry guys!

I bulk primed so would have expected all bottles to be equally primed?!?!?! Perhaps the ones I tried at home got all the priming sugar... mabye the dex wasnt fully dissolved.

Not sure what the paper is?!?!?! Just a lucky bonus I guess, extra fiber :ph34r:

Anyway, anyone who is unhappy and out my way (Penrith) you are welcome to stop in for a beer from the keg. Have the same hefe on tap at the moment.

Cheers
Hewy

Glad you like it, Disco Stu.

I'll pop the recipe into the database sometime soon. A lot of the flavours come from the yeast anyway. I really like this yeast after using it twice now. It's quick, great citrus and funk flavours, and it's an amazing attenuator. Anyway, I'll put the recipe here now.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Xmas Case Saison

Batch Size: 35.50 L
Boil Size: 42.02 L
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 10.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 33.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 77.79 %
1.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 14.14 %
0.27 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 3.82 %
22.00 gm Northern Brewer [6.70 %] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
55.00 gm Fuggles [5.70 %] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
23.00 gm Saaz [2.20 %] (3 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
14.00 gm Styrian Goldings [4.60 %] (3 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.30 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 4.24 %
2 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast #3711) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 66C for 60 minutes. FG was 1002! This yeast is a monster. :D

I had Nifty's English pale ale last night. A very nice beer, Nifty, really well balanced. I like that yeast and it seemed to go perfectly in this one. Not quite like the Fullers style ESB being a much lighter style, malts and hops, but much more drinkable on a summer night because of that. Have you posted the recipe yet?

Sorry guys!

I bulk primed so would have expected all bottles to be equally primed?!?!?! Perhaps the ones I tried at home got all the priming sugar... mabye the dex wasnt fully dissolved.

I've just put your one in th fridge to try later tonight. Looks like the crown seal isn't all the way on. Perhaps some bottles have lost carb thru lack of seal? I'll find out tonight. ;)

Brew: 5. nifty - English Pale Ale
Beer info: Brown crownseal 750ml bottle 5.2% Wlp023, bottled 2/11/08 Gold cap '5' og. 1.050 fg. 1.010

Sampling notes:
Served chilled in glass.
Opens with nice pop. Persistant creamy beige head leaving clumpy lace on the way down. Body is a clear copper with lively beading.
Hops seems to cut through first up on the nose, tad grassy, leafy and earthy without being overly coherent. Grainy malt in the backgroun, honeyish quality to it, bit of burnt toffee.
Nice carbonation, soft yet lively, perfect for the style. Smooth creamy texture, bitterness kicks in pretty quickly and doesn't let go for a good while afterwards.
Excellent balance on the body. Hops quite prominant; bitter orange marmalade, tea leaf, grapefruit rind, woody spice and grass, with a good hit of sweetening toffee-like malt in the background. Finishes with a solid bitter hit, lingering grass and dry bready note; very clean overall.
Very good bitter indeed. Definately my sort of beer; plenty of character yet well balanced with a good bitter kick to keep you interested. Great stuff Nifty, cheers!

24 - Hewy's hefe

Well this was a strange little creature. Cap opened with a fsss. Good, thought I, I have one of the carbonated ones. Poured into jug and it fizzed like a Berocca. The head lasted about as long as a Coke head tho. Interestinger and interestinger. Poured a glass and a foam formed. I thought it might have been the jug, but the foam collapsed in seconds in the glass as well.

Dark gold colour, I poured without yeast. Effervescent but no head to speak of. Slight aroma of solvent and phenols. Tastes of phenols and slightly fruity. Lots of carbonation on tongue and quite thin. Nice and refreshing after my pasta. Sorry, I don't know why there is no foam...

9. Grantw - Belgian Blonde Ale

Pours a bright gold with some yeast. Big carbonation. Nice head retention for the strength. A good cm of white foam atop a yeast hazed golden ale. Mmmm. Aroma of Belgian phenols and fruity esters, bit of malt and alcohol coming out there too. Can't say there's any pear in there, tho ;) Stewed fruit for sure. All the right signs coming out of this one.

Taste is nice and clean, with yeast character dominating. Slight warming sensation on the palate and those lovely lovely Belgy esters in the after-taste. Great balance of bitterness to malt, and a dry finish. (I was going to say "crisp" in there, but I just can't do it without laughing).

Really like this one, Grant. Cheers! :beer:

The Mrs reckons she could session on this beer, and that it hides the alcohol well. Recipe, please! :D

The Mrs reckons she could session on this beer, and that it hides the alcohol well. Recipe, please! :D

Thanks for the feedback PoMo,

Its all in the yeast really, I love the WY1214 (cheers to Cortez for the sample :icon_cheers: ).

I have put the recipe into the DB here .

cheers

grant

Despite Les's advice I didn't put it in the fridge and it just went bomb in the garage. Looks like I also lost #23 in the crossfire.

If it's any consulation the beer did smell good Les.

Kabooby :)

Thanks for the warning. I've moved my #28 into the keg frigde and will sample it tonight. Would like to cellar it for 4 weeks, but I don't want to keep the volatile one for longer than I have to.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up on that one. In the fridge now, which is probably just as well with the weather back to hot today.

I had the other possible bottle bomb in the winter evening last night. DiscoStu's Dunkelweizen was certainly overcarbed, but not quite to gusher stage yet. Very pleasant, rich darker malt flavours, with a good level of bitterness for the style. It was perhaps a little sweet at the end, though that was nice for a winter sipper. What gravity did it finish at? It was missing the esters and phenols you'd really want from a dunkelweizen, which is probably down to the yeast. I've had the same results from it as well. Great beer for an early AG. If you want the full on German wheat beer flavours or you want to enter it in a comp, I'd try another yeast, but it's a good beer as is IMO.

Latest posts

Back