2007 Sa Christmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rusty. I'm not making my stout until the new year, so no probs with the timing of your reply. :)
Interesting that mashing for 60 makes such a smooth stout when there is so much received wisdom that it should be astringent!
So much for received wisdom! :)

Where did you receive the wisdom from? I thought mashing for 60 was the norm..............perhaps the 'wisdom' was perceived and not received......:D

I believe this is regarding 60 minute mashing (or steeping) of roast barley. I've heard some people only add the roast barley in the last 10 minutes of the mash to avoid extracting too much astringency. I see this as pretty much BS as the sparging action really does the rinsing, not the extended stagnant sitting.

The smoothness in Rusty's stout is because of the oatmeal, and that he didnt overdo the roast barley.

I believe this is regarding 60 minute mashing (or steeping) of roast barley. I've heard some people only add the roast barley in the last 10 minutes of the mash to avoid extracting too much astringency.

'zactly.

Yes, I also believe this is BS, you will notice that those who claim roast barley must be added just before sparging, tend to add a larger amount. As long as you calibrate the amount you add to your system, and consistently leave it in for the full mash, you should produce a roasty stout without astringency.

Yes, I also believe this is BS, you will notice that those who claim roast barley must be added just before sparging, tend to add a larger amount. As long as you calibrate the amount you add to your system, and consistently leave it in for the full mash, you should produce a roasty stout without astringency.

So how much is too much?

Hi Braufrau

This might help you on your way this is the recipe for my oatmeal stout. I hope that you can use it a a starting point. Total dark grains made up about 10% of the bill but I mixed them 10% straight Roasted malt I find give me more roast flavor then i want.

3.70 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 64.91 %
0.80 kg Oats, Malted (2.0 EBC) Grain 14.04 %
0.60 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 10.53 %
0.30 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 5.26 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 3.51 %
0.20 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 1.75 %
20.00 gm Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.8 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

hope it helps

Hi Braufrau

This might help you on your way this is the recipe for my oatmeal stout. I hope that you can use it a a starting point. Total dark grains made up about 10% of the bill but I mixed them 10% straight Roasted malt I find give me more roast flavor then i want.

Thanks Rusty. I'll use that as my guideline!

I'll add my thanks, I'll be basing a recipe on that as well- oatmeal stout on the 'to brew list' now :)

Wow this thread died!

Had Homekegger's Hopgaargden Belgian Wit tonight.

Interesting! Very fruity (orange) but not too spicy, just how I like all my wheats! Nice and refreshing. Hit me like a tonne of bricks though, like everything is lately! Went down too quickly :)

Cheers.

PS: Looks like my IIPA is eternally hazy (to the n'th degree)... tastes perfectly fine though (after a small lupulin threshold adjustment)

Since you revived this thread, I'll add to it by giving my thoughts on your addition to the case.

Adam's IIPA

The aroma from this hit me while I was pouring this into the glass. I wouldn't really expect anything less, especially when you have put a few warnings in the thread! :p After having a sip of it, I received an email from my taste buds' union rep stating that they are considering taking industrial action over what I just drank :lol: that's one hoppy, bitter, thick beer. I've never seen a pale colourd beer pour that syrupy before, and it makes a hell of a lot of sense when I drink it. this is one crazy beer, I love it.

Well I am glad to see that this thread is getting life again. I checked every day for the last couple of weeks. I have been interstate and haven't been able to try any of the beers, but I am home now and have decided that today is warm enough to try one or maybe two.

So I cracked Braufrau's APA. And I have to say that I like this one very much. Smelt just like I was expecting upon opening the bottle. Poured beautifully, and tastes great. Each mouthful seems to take better than the last. Good mouth feel and unfortunately only 1 bottle.

A sneak peak.

apa2.JPG

Thanks Braufrau.

Cheers

HK

Wally,

Thanks mate, but that is a glass that show's true champions. After all it was the year of the CATS... You can not dispute that. Tried your beer later on today as well mate.

After I opened it I could smell bubblegum, so could my missus a few feet away. This was a drinkable beer indeed. Very flavoursome in the banana and bubblegum deptartment. Although I must say that the head disappeared very very quickly. This did not bother me, but I thought I should tell you. This was a good hefe in my opinion. Would happily throw a bottle of this in the mix if I was having a session.

Thanks mate.

HK

Wally: The hopping level wasn't extreme? :eek: I'm both shocked and amazed! Here's the recipe rundown.

93% JW Ale
7% Weyermann Melanoidin.

Mashed high around 68-69C.

Boiled for 90 minutes.

20g Chinook at 60 mins
Metric shiteload (about 250g) of fresh Nelson Sauvin flowers, Pacific Gem, Amarillo Gold, Cascade and Chinook thrown in between 20 and flameout.

Fermented with US-05 at 18-19C.

So I cracked Braufrau's APA. And I have to say that I like this one very much. Smelt just like I was expecting upon opening the bottle. Poured beautifully, and tastes great. Each mouthful seems to take better than the last. Good mouth feel and unfortunately only 1 bottle.

Thanks HK! I'm so glad you liked it! I've been on tenterhooks! :D

Wally, your POR is in the ground and growing nicely. I'd better pop out and give it some dynamic lifter now.

Hi Braufrau

Rusty .. did you adjust the water?
I'm thinking of adding 1tsp of gypsum and 1 tsp of bicarb to the mash water for my stout ... what do you think?

I didn't adjust the water I have never really done it read a bit about it but never got around to doing it might be on the list of things to do in 2008. But my swap case beer was good old Adelaide Water

Been pretty much offline now for over 3 weeks so its time i chimed in with a few comments.

First up is Wee Stus IPA. This is probably the best example of an IPA i have had. Period. This is why i took up brewing again. Everything about this beer seemed spot on to me, enough bitterness to let me know it was an IPA not an ESB, plenty of flavour and aroma and a nice malty back bone. A very old scholl IPA and i would love to get the recipe of you as i am running low on beer and this one gave me almost more enjoyment than Pups over of death.

I drank one a day rather than all at once so i could do each beer justice. Also because you clowns seem to be making quite strong beers compared to the mid strength golden ales i go for....... :D

Adams IIPA/AIPA wasnt as extreme as i expected altho i was fortunate to taste the Mountain Goat IIPA when it landed at the Wheatie so i did know what to expect. Its a big beer. Plenty of flavour and aroma and a nice bitter finish. I dont think you have over done it at all but then i prefer my beers 40+ IBUs these days.... Dont suppose you could tally up the IBUs for us? I enjoyed it a lot.

Braufraus APA - nothing to worry about at all Samantha. A very nice example of this style and was easy to drink. I tend to make my APAs at least 40IBUs so this was less than that by my palate but had a good cascade aroma and flavour? A touch sweet (crystal malt or extract?) but not out of whack. Youve done well!

Hopgarden (Homekegger?) - my partner enjoyed this one. Always get her to taste the beers (apart from the IIPA, her taste bugs would still be on strike if i let her try that one!). I must admit i am not a huge fan of hoegarden but this did taste right on for me. Very little head tho but otherwise a nice beer.

Still have a few to go but with footy training starting this week I will be taking it easy on the booze in attempt to lose the 6kg i put on since seasons end (most of which was packed on over xmas).

Cheers
DrSmurto

Hopgarden (Homekegger?) - my partner enjoyed this one. Always get her to taste the beers (apart from the IIPA, her taste bugs would still be on strike if i let her try that one!). I must admit i am not a huge fan of hoegarden but this did taste right on for me. Very little head tho but otherwise a nice beer.

We enjoyed the hopgarden too. HWMBO looked at me wistfully as if to say "would you make one of these for me???" so I'll make a wit this summer.

Back