2007 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was picking some cones today off my 2 year old tettenager today and found this!

as such i would like to open the contest for mutant hop cones.. :D
View attachment 17539

That's one odd cone!

This one was grown from seed this season and has reddish cones:

Red_cones.jpg

yer i like those, are you sure thats not an ornamental variety? or perhaps you will be using them in a flanders red.. even the stems look pretty red, some bizarre hop/rhubarb cross? very cool B)

yer i like those, are you sure thats not an ornamental variety? or perhaps you will be using them in a flanders red.. even the stems look pretty red, some bizarre hop/rhubarb cross? very cool B)

It was a seed from a Columbus x Wild hop. Seed genetics are very diverse in plants where you have separate sexes,
(most plants are both male and female at the same time.)

A Hop/Rhubarb cross! :lol: ....I did plant it next to my Boysenberry, maybe my little hop has developed a mutant parasitic rhizome!

Anymore entries for capretta's contest of mutant hop cones ?

would love a cutting from that if you have them...def a nice looking plant.

This was a mutant cone from another seed grown hop.

It grew a slim second cone out of the first one, which ended up longer than the original.

By the time the second one was ready to harvest, the first cone was well over-ripe.

Double_hop.jpg

No mutant cones but the cluster are starting to fully kick in now that the days are getting shorter and should get a few this year.

gallery_1194_208_19376.jpg

gallery_1194_208_34772.jpg

gallery_1194_208_10724.jpg

- Luke

Same as everyone's cluster but just 4 years in the ground with heaps of fertilizer and water.
This one (cluster) is the best grower out of the bunch from Tassie and can be used in a CAP to an old ale.

- Luke

Johnno,
Hows your Pride of Ringwood monster coming along.
Did it re-establish itself and take over again after the move?
- Luke

Same as everyone's cluster but just 4 years in the ground with heaps of fertilizer and water.
This one (cluster) is the best grower out of the bunch from Tassie and can be used in a CAP to an old ale.

- Luke

OMG! I'm gonna need a bigger fence!

Johnno,
Hows your Pride of Ringwood monster coming along.
Did it re-establish itself and take over again after the move?
- Luke

Lukes,
yes it did alright last season. First pic was March last year just before harvest.

This year I am punishing it. Have not proped it up or watered it even. I really want those roots to go down deep. That's it just laying on the ground. There will be no crop from it this year.

The ekg in the backyard has started doing ok as well. That may be moved to another spot this winter.

cheers
johnno

POR.JPG

por.JPG

ekg.JPG

Hey Johnno,

If you want them to grow well let them climb up as high as they can. Allowing them no climbing support will stunt them severely by comparison. The higher they climb in a year the more energy they'll store for next year's growth. They are not deep rooted plants at the best of times (regardless of how much you stress them) and commercially get one inch of water per week.

MFS

Woo hoo...My Chinook is producing little cones everywhere. :)
It produced a few cones early in the year & I thought it was all over, but the latest flooding up here seems to have really given it a spurt...

cheers Ross

Regarding Alpha Acid levels: Does anyone know whether the amount of volatile oils present on the cones is an indication of alpha acid levels, or are the two unrelated?

Also, are Australian hops grown in less-than-ideal climates likely to be stronger or weaker than those in, say, New Zealand or Northwestern USA?

First year growing hops and so far I've got 100g of Hersbrucker ready to go in the dehydrator.

For those who use a dehydrator How long do you dry them for?

Thw instructions say 6-12 hours for flowers which seems quite a broad figure :unsure:

Cheers
BB

Back