2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alas!!

My beloved POR seems to have been invaded by some disease.. :(

Probably only something that Grows in the new location we moved to.

It was going really well till about the middle of last week. After some diagnosis today I think I may have this..

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=604

hop clap.

The EKG and tettnang in the pot seems to be ok.

cheers
johnno

Sure it's the same wilt as shown on that site Johnno? Had a similar problem, brown/dying patches on the leaves and slowed growth. Nurseryman said the rhizome supplies the energy each year for growth, if it's been dug up/moved then that will affect it's "ommph" also a small rhizome can not contribute much energy and the plant will run out of juice. He said give to give them a feed, as much for vine growth as for increasing rhizome size ready for next year. Tossed it some GP stuff from Bunnings and within days it was away, new green growth and looking great. Have fed them twice more since then, about every 4 weeks I guess, the respond each time and kick on, Wurtemberger has almost doubled in height since and is developing flower cones.
Cheers

Alas!!

My beloved POR seems to have been invaded by some disease.. :(

Probably only something that Grows in the new location we moved to.

It was going really well till about the middle of last week. After some diagnosis today I think I may have this..

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=604

hop clap.

The EKG and tettnang in the pot seems to be ok.

cheers
johnno

Johnno,

Someone listed here a quick fix for mould or fungus but I can't seem to find the post.

(it was in the last hop growing thread)
It was 10.1 ratio of water and white vinegar.
I tried this last season (only once) and it worked quite well in clearing up any problems

- Luke

Sure it's the same wilt as shown on that site Johnno? Had a similar problem, brown/dying patches on the leaves and slowed growth. Nurseryman said the rhizome supplies the energy each year for growth, if it's been dug up/moved then that will affect it's "ommph" also a small rhizome can not contribute much energy and the plant will run out of juice. He said give to give them a feed, as much for vine growth as for increasing rhizome size ready for next year. Tossed it some GP stuff from Bunnings and within days it was away, new green growth and looking great. Have fed them twice more since then, about every 4 weeks I guess, the respond each time and kick on, Wurtemberger has almost doubled in height since and is developing flower cones.
Cheers

Hi Screwtop,
No I am not 100% sure its the one. But there is something dodgey going on. The thing was growing like no tomorrow and then it just stopped. looks a bit worn out now. It may just be the heat and it is not getting enough water due to the restrictions. i will look further into it.

Johnno,

Someone listed here a quick fix for mould or fungus but I can't seem to find the post.

(it was in the last hop growing thread)
It was 10.1 ratio of water and white vinegar.
I tried this last season (only once) and it worked quite well in clearing up any problems

- Luke

Hi Luke,
I may give that a shot. the bugger is quite large and i dread having to spray it all :)

Thanks for the suggestions blokes.

cheers
johnno

Hi Screwtop,
No I am not 100% sure its the one. But there is something dodgey going on. The thing was growing like no tomorrow and then it just stopped. looks a bit worn out now. It may just be the heat and it is not getting enough water due to the restrictions. i will look further into it.

Hi Luke,
I may give that a shot. the bugger is quite large and i dread having to spray it all :)

Thanks for the suggestions blokes.

cheers
johnno

Johnno,
I did not spray it I just mixed it in a 10 ltr bucket and poured it at base.

I wonder how the cutting you gave Dave at the yeast talk is going?

- Luke

i am growing my first hop this year ( a tettenang ) and i've experienced the same probs as johnno, balistic growth, then slowly petering out with all the old leaves browning and getting quite tatty. Screwtops post seems like a winner in my case, the rhizome is just out of juice by the sound of it. time to collect some cow feces!! <_<View attachment 11025

i am growing my first hop this year ( a tettenang ) and i've experienced the same probs as johnno, balistic growth, then slowly petering out with all the old leaves browning and getting quite tatty. Screwtops post seems like a winner in my case, the rhizome is just out of juice by the sound of it. time to collect some cow feces!! <_<View attachment 11025

not enough water

not enough water
Yes definitely not enough water. I put mine in at the right time, but little happened 'cause of the drought (I'm surrounded by bare wheat fields and starving sheep). Then some leaves started turning brown in the hot weather. After 5 months they are no taller than about 40 cm so I'm just hopeful I can keep them alive so they can do their stuff next year (assuming it will rain at some time).

I read somewhere that growing hops need 10 L per day. That's a big water every morning. And on really dry days, even if they are well watered, the low humidity can knock them about.
Ben

Yes definitely not enough water.
ok cool guys, water it is.. since that photo was taken a few weeks ago a sewerage pipe broke near it. i havent seen it yet, but assuming the browning was caused by lack of water it might not be such an issue now :(
looking forward to my first "poo brew"! :D

1st years harvest off my POP Hop Vine
Hops2007001.jpg

I think the POP could become the signature hop of Aussiehomebrewer.com.... then the world!!!
Actually I better make a beer with it first.... just incase it tastes like VB!!!

Asher for now

Take care not to overwater them as well. They can get root-rot and the leaves can get diseases from being wet constantly as well. I think it would be pretty hard to over water at the roots tho, especially if you live (90% of nsw?) in a drought ravaged area.

That plant needs nitrogen!
Chook poo or Thrive will be a quick fix,you got to feed these babies.

Batz

Horticulturist guy at the nursery said not a lack of water problem when he saw my leaves, said lack of water shows at the end/edges of the leaves, not in spots.

My Mt Hood ended up male, but the Chinooks cracking along. The Mt Hood seems to have got the Brown leaves everyone has mentioned but not the Chinook.

I reckon these are just about ready.
I had been a bit nervous that as this was its first year I wouldnt get anything from it.

Hop_070119_1.JPG Hop_070119_3.JPG

Hop_070119_4.JPG Hop_070119_5.JPG

:)
ATOMT

Puts my POR & Tettnang vines combined to shame ATOMT :(

Jesus ATOMT, nice crop there indeed. More than my 2 x 2nd year cluster & 1 x 1st year Perle put together i reckon.

Must be my location :(

omg angel tears ........... <- that is digital tears of jealousy!! :D

ATOMT! wow.

LOL blake, ahhhhh the good old days.
Also got a couple of very heavy books here. Heavy in weight and reading.
A google search for 'Ed Rosenthal' may answer the question.

My Mt Hood ended up male, but the Chinooks cracking along. The Mt Hood seems to have got the Brown leaves everyone has mentioned but not the Chinook.

I reckon these are just about ready.
I had been a bit nervous that as this was its first year I wouldnt get anything from it.

View attachment 11070 View attachment 11072

View attachment 11073 View attachment 11074

:)
ATOMT

Nice crop there ATOMT. When you harvest let us know wet and dry weight.

Must be a variety thing as my PoR is only starting tohead up now. Last year i didn't harvest tilllate March from memory.
Now you can have fun trying to determine the AA's. :)

There is a good article on ozcraftbrewer about working out when they are ready.

cheers
johnno

If I haven't got any flowers on my hop vines yet this year, does that mean its not going to happen now???

Its only the first year so I didn't think I would get any but some people say you can get a small amount first year.

Back