2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First year for me TD and one of my vines is starting to flower now,the other four are yet to show any signs.

Batz

Thanks Batz, maybe there's still some hope yet!

bloody sensational ATOMT....especially for its first year. Those cones are huge!! :blink:

Cheers
Steve

bloody sensational ATOMT....especially for its first year. Those cones are huge!! :blink:

Cheers
Steve

no steve, if you look REALLY closely you can see that atomt just has an incredibly small hand... :mellow:

My Gouldings has small flowers and growing strong , the Chinook is going through a growth sprint with no flowers. ;)

Cheers
Steve

I planted them in my veggie garden which is very small (around 60 x 150cm) due to my small back yard. The veggies go nuts every year and looks like the hops really liked it. I planted them around the last week in August.

I have really enjoyed watching these plants grow this year. It is my first go at hops and I reckon at their peak growth rate (around 1 -2 mtr high) they were growing at about 10 - 15 cm a day or averaging around 1/2 mtr a week.

I am looking forward to see what the harvest brings.

I just wish the other plant hadnt been male!!

I dont know if this is relevant to the final aromas, but the cones have a slight passionfruit aroma at the moment. Certainly dont smell like my normal plugs or pellets.

ATOMT

Aww bad luck mate, that means all your beer will turn out purple and taste like passionfruit, they will only get worse and worse and may end up being poisonous. Better post em to me so i can check.

Does anyone have Splat in Australia?

I really would like this hop in my Bat garden

Batz

Splat?

I've got Kapowie and Wham for ya!

tdh

p.s. I don't think Spalt hasn't ever been available as a rhizome

Can I take cutting sand grow a plant form them?

When is the bast time to take a cutitng and is there anything specific I need to do?

Thinking about going for a drive into the Derwent valley to get some cuttings

When is the bast time to take a cutitng and is there anything specific I need to do?

Yes you can,don't expect anything much the first year as the plant needs to get it's shit together.
But hell cheap azz hey? :super:

Batz

Ok just took a pic
These cuttings are 11 days old,the leaves were on the cutting when I took them,note the roots forming.
I'll plant these out into pots tomorrow.

Batz

Thanks Batz,
Any tips for helping them grow?

Might even get a choice of varieties if I drive around a bit ;)

Ok just took a pic
These cuttings are 11 days old,the leaves were on the cutting when I took them,note the roots forming.
I'll plant these out into pots tomorrow.

Batz
Batz

Did you strike your cuttings in a pot or in water?

Peels

Batz

Did you strike your cuttings in a pot or in water?

Peels

In water,dip the cutting in 'rooting powder' :blink:
Sounds like fun stuff hey?

Batz

I jumped a few fences around New Norfolk in Feb 2004, none of the cuttings survived the road trip back over to SA and up the centre in the van, but the grape vine cuttings from SA are doing well.

Plants doing O.K. now after a bad case of spider mite.

Pictures1_011.jpg
Hallertau, Chinook & Goldings

Pictures1_016.jpg
Chinook

Pictures1_015.jpg
Chinook

Pictures1_014.jpg
Goldings

Pictures1_013.jpg
Chinook showing signs

Pictures1_012.jpg

Well I did the first part of a harvest tonight when I got home. After about an hour up the ladder, I called it a day. Ill get the rest tomorrow. :)

Cones_070129_1.JPG

Nearly a shopping bag full.

Cones_070129_2.JPG

Fat Cones!!!

Cones_070129_3.JPG

Total of 650g Wet. There must be around another 500g left up there.

Not bad for a first year.

:D

ATOMT

Nice harvest ATMOT.

These are the chinook aren"t they? You should try and brew with them as soon as possible. Even do a wet hop brew.

One thing I reaslised after my PoR harvest last year when I used them was just how different they were to pellets.

You could smell the freshness during the boil. I was dissapointed last year that I did not do a wet hop brew.

This year I will be brewing with them straight after harvest to see what that is like which I have no doubt will be an awesome brew.

cheers
johnno

Nice harvest ATMOT.

These are the chinook aren"t they? You should try and brew with them as soon as possible. Even do a wet hop brew.

One thing I reaslised after my PoR harvest last year when I used them was just how different they were to pellets.

You could smell the freshness during the boil. I was dissapointed last year that I did not do a wet hop brew.

This year I will be brewing with them straight after harvest to see what that is like which I have no doubt will be an awesome brew.

cheers
johnno
Gday Johnno.

I asked a question regarding wet hopping elswhere in this thread and was told you could do that, however, the article under the link you passed on to me the other day reckons dont do it unless you like beer tasting like grass!!??

Also, how much to a brew when wet?

cheers

ATOMT

Back