2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello folks

spent the weekend doing battle with the "garden of weden" AKA our vege patch, and am ready to do some planting. Am keen to try some hop rhyozomes. even moreso after seeing the pics in this thread!!!

Am I a bit late for this year? if not, does anyone know where i might get a hold of some in NW sydney?

My 3 year old POR.

Amazing how much variation there is between varieties - the stems on your POR are heaps darker than any of mine. Might be an age thing. Has anyone else got rhizomes of similr vintage?

Chatty

Yep and they are just coming up now.
It's an age thing. :D

hops01lj1.jpg

No shoots at all last week.
Luke

the biggest of mine is 1.2M tall and the rest arent far behind

hops01lj1.jpg

Luke

Thats not a hop plant. That is a hop tree :p
Awesome.

Mine are all shooting throught the soil. The Perle has the lead at the moment.

Doc

Thats not a hop plant. That is a hop tree
Awesome.

Doc

Yeah.. This years Xmas tree. :party:

cheers
johnno

Hi all.

Last time I posted I was getting concerned about my wayward Chinook. 1 month down and no sign of a delivery.

My Mt hood seems to be doing fine.

Mt_Hood1.JPG

But No Chinook.......

....until on Sat morning in dispair I went searching and low and behold it came up about a foot from where I planted it.

Chinook2.jpg

Now Thats a relief.

Here is a shot of my fortress to keep out the Pest!!

VegeGard.JPG

....and here's a pic of my "Arch Nemesis" whom I secretly call "Vindaloo"!!!

Curry.JPG

God help him if he gets in and eats one of my babies!!!

Johnno gave me a couple of POR rhizomes today. Thanks again Johnno.

IN they go.

cheers

ATOMT :party:

You could serve him up with sauteed hop shoots :)

My chinook is doing the same thing, peeking up both in the middle and right in the corner of my nicely dug rectangle-in-the-lawn.

Both it and willamette are only growing slowly at the moment, a couple inches high. In another week or two I'm going to give them a shot of dynamic whiffter. That helped my first chinook really get going in its first season.

I just measured mine, these were planted on 26 Aug.

Nugget 980cm
Mt Hood 900cm

a fair amount of the growth is from the last week; with 2 shoots each plant.

Only problem one of the Mt Hood stems got broken. I have cut if off and re-joined it together with tape. Any ideas will this grow?

Looking forward to fresh hops in Bundaberg.

Stick the bit that broke off inn a cup of water. It will sprout roots and you'll have 2 plants. Same happened with mine ( one of the kids dropped their wheelbarrow on it) and the plant from the cutting produced 90% of the crop.

Brent

Does any one know if hops are the same as herbs in cooking.

With herbs like Coriander, Basil, Rosemary, chives etc it is much preferrable to use them freshley chopped. That way the most and the best flavours and aroma's are imparted into the food.

Does this apply to hops or does it need to be dried out first (Like tabacco and marijuana) :D ?

ATOMT

hops01lj1.jpg

Luke
Thats not a hop plant. That is a hop tree :p
Awesome.
Doc

Doc, macro on the digital camera.
As you can see from the fence it's only about 100 - 150mm high with no shoots.

Dark Horse took some cluster cuttings from it last year. I wonder if they lived?

Luke

My Chinook is 850mm and the Goldings is 800mm high, planted 6 weeks ago next Monday.

Does any one know if hops are the same as herbs in cooking.

With herbs like Coriander, Basil, Rosemary, chives etc it is much preferrable to use them freshley chopped. That way the most and the best flavours and aroma's are imparted into the food.

Does this apply to hops or does it need to be dried out first (Like tabacco and marijuana) :D ?

ATOMT

Yes you can use the hops fresh. Wet hop beers seem to be the flavour of the month ATM. It seems that you need to use substantially more than dry hops due to the water content. US article on wet hop beers, and a thread Ross started.

I'm hoping to be able to do this, but last I heard (last week) my plants weren't up yet (growing near Canberra). :(

_JK68113.jpg
Mine was crappy last year but has really taken off this year.
It's Hersbrucker - 3rd year.

Yes you can use the hops fresh. Wet hop beers seem to be the flavour of the month ATM. It seems that you need to use substantially more than dry hops due to the water content. US article on wet hop beers, and a thread Ross started.

I'm hoping to be able to do this, but last I heard (last week) my plants weren't up yet (growing near Canberra). :(

Thanks Stuster. Thats what I figured. I guess a good rule of thumb might be.....

If you smoke it.....Dry it.
If you cook it.....wet is best.

Good links.

Ta :party:

ATOMT

My 3 year old POR.

Amazing how much variation there is between varieties - the stems on your POR are heaps darker than any of mine. Might be an age thing. Has anyone else got rhizomes of similr vintage?

Chatty

hops01lj1.jpg

Luke

Jesus Luke, keep the kids away from that thing. It might only be 150 mm high but i can see a 'Little Shop of Horrors' thing going on at your place soon :p

Chatty

Just an update on how things are growing in Hopland er Queensland.

Wurtemberger
DSCF5530__Small_.JPG DSCF5529__Small_.JPG

Perle
DSCF5532__Small_.JPG

Both rhizomes planted 8 weeks ago. Wurtemberger 2.1M Perle .5M

Checked my PoR 2 weeks after transplanting and they seem to have taken to their new home well.

The are on par with the same growth this time last year.

cheers
johnno

24_9.JPG

Latest posts

Back