2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The day ha come. Albeit a bit late for the PoR to be transplanted to the new location.

With a root system like that I hope it will do ok and I will et a crop this season.

Hell!! I hope it goes wild and fills up the whole suburb with hops. :lol:

transplant.JPG

Look closely and you can see some of the many shoots at the top just coming up now.

shoots.JPG

Relax, mine haven't come up yet either. I did a replant on them a few weeks back and there were plenty of buds, just haven't made it above the surface yet.
And with all this rain I don't expect them too untill we get a few days of decent sunshine either :(

Doc

Im kicking myself I didnt order any earlier in the year :angry:

But if anyone has a spare Columbus rhizome I will happily take it :)

My Columbus are in their second season Jye. They didn't flower last season, so am really hoping they do this season. If they do I'm sure I can set you up with a cutting.

Doc

Cheers Doc :beer: Do you know why they didnt flower?

Not enough sun and I had trimmed them back to a couple of vines.
With their new position and I won't be trimming back to two vines they should be great to go.

Doc

I got a big enough crop out of my first season Columbus last year to do an all columbus beer ( well except for 10g of magnum to help out in bittering.) Not as AA rich, to my calculations, as commercial grown stuff but the beer turned out lovely nonetheless and has even held it's hop freshness with some age on it.

Last years plants are shooting and the few cuttings I took at the end of last season and sprouting too so hopefully I can squeeze out a good crop this year. I hope to try a wet-hop brew this season if there's enough to warrant it.

Brent

Yeah that is awesome. Was checking it out earlier today.
I know a few places around where I grew up in NZ that may have the same wild hops growing.

Doc

Look at that!

Sort of thing that would bring a tear to Craftbrewer :lol:

Batz

Look at that!

Sort of thing that would bring a tear to Craftbrewer :lol:

Batz

Yeah, i've got a bit of catching up to do B) ... Here's my Columbus vine...

Columbus.jpg

Cheers Ross

Anyone ever heard of Spalt rhizomes in Oz?

Batz

Unfortunately not :( .I had a look back through Stu Fergs list but its not on it.

Haven't seen them on offer either. Otherwise I'd be on it for my Alts.

Doc

Haven't seen them on offer either. Otherwise I'd be on it for my Alts.

Doc

The same reason I ask Doc

Batz

The kids are growing up so fast, think I might have to give them something to climb soon.

Spot the difference. This is just over 2 weeks between shots.

Projects_006.jpgHops_17_Sep_06_002.jpg

Go you good thing :D

TS

Spring must be here, my hoppy friends have just poked their heads up for a look!
:beer:

My 3 year old POR.

Amazing how much variation there is between varieties - the stems on your POR are heaps darker than any of mine. Might be an age thing. Has anyone else got rhizomes of similr vintage?

Chatty

Back