2006 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are all up... on the top shelf of my fridge. Better get 'em in the ground eh.

I got around to planting this years rhizomes yesterday arvo.

While i was doing this I decided to have a dig around the the base of 1 of the plants id started from a cutting last season. Damn these things grow big fat roots. I found a bunch of shoots starting to grow from the underground root just below the soil surface so i imagine theyre just about to break through anytime now.

I reckon this year i will take as many cuttings as i can & share them round with any mates who are prepared to plant & water them.

Mine also still asleep here in Perth and not really expecting much of anything for another month.

I seem to remember promising a POR cutting to another Perth brewer but can't remember who you are. If I promised you a cutting, let me know. It's still dormant in its pot, but I assume it's okay; it's actually a small piece of rhyzome that broke off when I was building a new raised bed around my hops. If no one claims it I will bring it along to a brew day and watch youse all fight over it.

I reckon this thread title could now possibly be changed by the mods to: "2006 Hop Plantation" by the looks of some of those pics.?? Thoughts??
Cheers
Steve

I got around to planting this years rhizomes yesterday arvo.

While i was doing this I decided to have a dig around the the base of 1 of the plants id started from a cutting last season. Damn these things grow big fat roots. I found a bunch of shoots starting to grow from the underground root just below the soil surface so i imagine theyre just about to break through anytime now.

I reckon this year i will take as many cuttings as i can & share them round with any mates who are prepared to plant & water them.

When did you take the cuttings Killer, I hopped (get it) the fence and pinched a few while in Tassie but they never struck, That was in late Feb.

reckon this thread title could now possibly be changed by the mods to: "2006 Hop Plantation" by the looks of some of those pics.?? Thoughts??

I agree

I reckon this thread title could now possibly be changed by the mods to: "2006 Hop Plantation" by the looks of some of those pics.?? Thoughts??

Done.

Beers,
Doc

I took the cuttings when the bines were starting to shoot them near the base. Best to get them going as soon in the season as you can.
I ended up with 3 plants from 1 rhizome last year but the last 1 didnt produce hops.

The shoots i cloned were maybe 2" long with 2 pairs leaves or so.

Cheers Duff.This will come in handy.

Big D

Do you take rain checks Deebee. ;)

Big D

BigD

If it's not claimed, it's yours. In fact I noticed this morning that it is actually up and about so it is definitely alive. Will try to keep it alive till you can give it a new loving home.

If it is claimed, I'm sure I can come up with another cutting.

cheers
DB

When i get to Perth permanent Deebee it will be well into the summer months so i reckon i will be chasing something up next year unless of course it will love being put in a refigerator for a wee while.

Cheers
Big D

Thanks for the info Duff - very handy.

I checked my Pride o' Pemby rhizomes yesterday and 3 of 4 pots have shoots - woohoo! I promptly sat the legs of the potting table(Verge collection jobby) in tubs of water to isolate the pots from snails. No sign of shoots from POR deebee strain but it is growing in a more sheltered location. We are heading overseas for a month and I hope the housesitters look after my hops(&dog&chooks&veges&fruit trees etc).

I was scratching around my plant this morning to see if there was any life..nothing much, just a couple of little purpley shoots that were there last autumn. Round the back of the trellis I noticed a thick root lying horizontal on the ground. I had a quick scratch around and merely millimetres under the surface and dead leaves was a network of thick rock hard roots all spreading out horizontally. It was very interesting as I thought that the roots went straight down deep. I took some photos and will post them tonight.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. My plant is now coming into its third year.

Mmmm, <_<

There are a lot of early bloomers out there I see,

I only just planted mine on the weekend, Mt Hood variety. We are still getting the rare frost at the moment, but I'm sure they will be gone by the time I see shoots.

I'm very keen to see more photos of growth progress for this year or If anyone has a Mt Hood growing, let me know how your vigour & yeld have been.

Cheers,

TS

I was thinking same thing today, meant to look up this thread but forgot.

Anyone in sydney seeing shoots yet?

I planted my two new season rhizomes last week, and took the top soil off last seasons in order to replace with some new manure.
There were shoots on last seasons varieties about 2cm under the soil surface (I had dumped a bag of soil on top of them at the end of the season).
So with their new position, more sun and are current warm weather I expect them through the surface in the next week or so.

Beers,
Doc

Hey TS, I have a Mt hood and Wurtemberger. I planted them three weeks ago.
The Wurtemberger is just poking its first shoot through, but the Mt hood came up within days of planting and now has 10 shoots with the longest over a ft long. I am expecting great things ;)

I planted mine yesterday. 1 x Willamette which had about 5-6 shoots popping up on it in the fridge and the rhizome had a really large root ball so expecting lots from this one, and 1 x Goldings which had a shoot or two.

The soil i was planting in was really compacted and quite clay like so i mixed a bag of potting mix, and a bag of sheep manure into it as well as really digging the hell out of it all to soften it up a bit.

My Tettnanger has put on about 40 mm of growth in the last week. Just a single but very strong shoot. The Precoce and Wurtemberger are still coming but they didn't have any really strong buds on them so not a real surprise.

I need to put the trellising up in the next week or so so the little fellas have something to climb up!

Chatty

Latest posts

Back