<$20 Six Pack Dan Murphys - Recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be better than some of the beer.

I mean $20 worth of wine rather than $20 worth of beer obviously but you could always pour it into 6 glasses. Or drink it with your gym cut stomach.

Or.......Ok I'll stop.
If you take it on terms of "standard drinks". A bottle of wine is similar to a 6 pack of beer - around about the 7-8 standard drink mark, bit less for white wines.
For $20, you can get a pretty damn decent bottle of wine...or the aformentioned "6 pack of death".

If you take it on terms of "standard drinks". A bottle of wine is similar to a 6 pack of beer - around about the 7-8 standard drink mark, bit less for white wines.
For $20, you can get a pretty damn decent bottle of wine...or the aformentioned "6 pack of death".

The Sierra i'm drinking cost $20 for a the 6 :). Or, say a bottle of Y series Venmentino is arond $12, and is a damn good drop :)

Funny, I was going to suggest that when your thread came up first but was too lazy to post. Turns out i didn't have to anyway. :icon_cheers:

I reckon it's a really good quaffer when handled well. Saying that, I've returned it a few times at Dan's, but when it's good it's great.

I'm really enjoying the DAB. It's kind of like a good Pilsener, with a less exhibitionistic hop character. Don't get me wrong I love Pilseners and I enjoy the hop flavour and aroma showcased in Budvar and Urquell, but a Dortmunder is around 10ibu lower and allows the malt profile to play a stronger role, while not coming across any sweeter. For a $16 "german megaswill", I'm fairly impressed. I'd like to try some more Dortmunders to gain a better point of reference.

Manticle: I love a good red, however, red doesn't love me! I just couldn't do it to myself on a work night.

Pretty much what I was getting at. Dan's have a good range and good prices on wine so that's where I would spend my 20.

If I had 3-4 times that, my eye would move to single malt.

I'd like to try some more Dortmunders to gain a better point of reference.

There's usually another one at Dan's, called Hansa, comes in 500ml bottles. In my opinion it's nowhere near as good as the DAB. It's fairly cheap too (in Germany that is), and is therefore one of the preferred beers for the local homeless/school kids/punks. Kind of like Oettinger, if you know what I mean. Drinkable indeed, but nothing to write home about, combined with a very average label design.

Give it a try anyway so you have something to compare, but maybe don't get a sixer straight away.

I once dared to ask the question 'what do you buy a carton of?' and some knob had to answer that he doesn't buy beer any more and would only buy a carton of eggs. Thank **** somebody hasn't answered this very reasonable question with the idiot, waste of time reply that they don't buy commercial beer!

It's referring to the fact that Dan's have a reputation for treating their beers poorly and you can get bad impressions of good beers buying there.

Their wine and whisky on the other hand always seem to be in good nick.

If you are going to get beer from dan's, get something from the fridge and if it's crap, be prepared to try it again from somewhere else before dismissing the beer or brewery.

Can you get Sierra Nevada Hefe for under $20

I am liking that one ATM

Beer is a pretty fragile product and probably not the best value for money when it comes to ABV but the OP was asking 'session able' beer. You really can't go wrong with the German selection at Dans- Hansa, Oettinger, Hofbrau etc reinheitsgebot does a decent job even at the cheap end of the market.

Opportunity presents; I'm detouring via Dan's and have been given permission to spend up to $20.

The hot-cold weather has put me in the mood for something somewhere between a lager and an ale with a mild hop presence. Not really in the mood for something dominantly citrusy or overtly bitter, for example.

I'm not THAT concerned with trying something I haven't had before, but it would be a bonus.

Suggestions?
Depends if you're after a 6 pack or a few bottles.
I know this style is completely out of the ballpark, but the Zyweic (spelling?) Baltic Porter is around $20/six pack... delicious.
Other than that, I love Dan's for just getting a beer I haven't tried before.

A few Leffes never go astray.... Mmmm, Belgian megaswill....

+1 for the Zyweic porter for something other than my goon suggestion.

great buy at $20/6 pack.

roasty, malty, highly alcoholic, but still incredibly drinkable.

quality pick up from dan's

Sponge

Lake Breeze Bernoota, bang on $20 unless you pay by card. That is a $20 purchase I have made many times at Dan's.

A four pack of the Brew Dog 77 Lager is significantly under $20, and that is fugging delicious in my opinion, and it matches your taste criteria, though it is not six beers.

I love that porter, but it's never in stock! Leffe blonde ... Brune. Mmm. Thanks for the additional suggestions. Got a list for my next trip

Pretty much- it's either they're out of stock or the stock is too old.

I just tried the Zyweic Pilsner, its OK, an import 500ml at 5.6% for $4.50, apparently the logo changes colour to reflect its temp, which would helpful if say you didnt have any hands

Burleigh Brewing Co's 70s Style Pale Ale is a great session beer for $20 a sixer at Dan's.

The reason the pilsner has a temp sticker is that people tend to think that the closest to freezing the better, but a Pilsener should be enjoyed at 4-6c to allow the palate to appreciate the harmonious union of malts and hops. Budvar is a far superior example as I'm sure nick would agree!

Back