2 Week Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say it should finish a bit lower than 1016 - probably around 1012-1014. OK, I don't know why I was thinking it would go down to like 1005 ish

To be sure, take a sample (hydrometer tubes worth), put in a stubby and take inside. Stick in a warm water ath (30 -35 dgerees - not too hot) and shake every time you think of it. Keep the water between 20 and 30 degrees. Measure the gravity in a couple of days - if it's dropped then the fermenter brew should drop. That's a great idea, thanks!

Don't put the sample back in the fermenter please. Such a travesty would never happen in my house! :eek:

I'd say it should finish a bit lower than 1016 - probably around 1012-1014.

To be sure, take a sample (hydrometer tubes worth), put in a stubby and take inside. Stick in a warm water ath (30 -35 dgerees - not too hot) and shake every time you think of it. Keep the water between 20 and 30 degrees. Measure the gravity in a couple of days - if it's dropped then the fermenter brew should drop.

Don't put the sample back in the fermenter please.
I followed your advice Manticle, however there was no change in the reading after two days so I assume it's either finished or died out. Good idea though, so thanks.

US05

Moving on...

Manticle seems spot on with the FG advice in his last post but I'd suggest that aeration here might not be ideal so I wouldn't be too scared of bottling this up at 1016 (especially in PET if this is OP's bottle of choice). Just don't carb up high.
Hi Bum. Yes I do use PET and I decided to bottle this morning. The FG had moved slightly lower to 1014. I used two carb drops in each bottle. Hope that's not too much. It's pretty cool here and they'll be gone b4 summer :p Oh, what did you mean by "aeration here might not be ideal"?

Anyway thanks to everyone who contributed for your helpful advice. Muchas gracias!

Not having a go in any way. It just seems to me (based on personal experience and reading about the experiences of many others) that aeration of wort prior to pitching might usually consist of a bit of a rough stir. Inadequate aeration can lead to a slightly higher FG.

Regardless, 1014 is nothing to worry about really. 2 drops sounds like the amount coopers advise and should be fine with your FG. A little higher than I like for my beers but nothing too excessive and certainly no immediate reason to fear bottle bombs - although we should always keep them in mind.

Thanks Bum. I love the way you and others here are always ready and willing to give really sound advice! :)

I'll tell you how I "aerate" my wort (Actually I didn't really know that you needed to). I put a few litres of H20 in the fermenter and then add the wort. Then I just let the tap go hard until I'm up to the right level. I reckon it would get heaps of air in it then but I'm not sure if it stays in or what. After that I just stir it a bit so as no syrup is stuck to the base. Then if it's the right temp I'll pitch the yeast and stir it in well.

My guess is that while I was away the brew might have got too cold. My apple cider finished higher than I was expecting also (1008) at the same time, and they both got off to a good start b4 I left.

Hope you don't mind me raising the dead ..ie this topic.. that 'lager', (BE1 + US05) has turned out quite nicely. It's clean, very fresh tasting, good bead, little head tho'. Overall, I'm very happy with the results.

Top stuff swill.
it is good to read an end result to threads. to often (on many a forum) a discussion is had and the final result is left unknown :)

Top stuff swill.
it is good to read an end result to threads. to often (on many a forum) a discussion is had and the final result is left unknown

Agreed. Love the follow up's.
turns all the theory into a true assessment of results. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back