2 vessel HERMS - stupid questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surly

Reaction score
Hey all, I was originally planning to build myself a recirculating 1V, but while researching and planning, I decided it was probably easier and not really more expensive to build a HERMS system.

So far, I have built my HEX - just needs a stand and some insulation.

IMAG0087_1.jpg

Currently looking into sourcing a stainless steel MT. Assuming shipping isn't too costly, I have been considering going through Cheekypeak as they have most, if not all, of what I want at reasonable prices.
This is what I was thinking of for a MT http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/brewing-kettles/product/83-36-litre-stainless-steel-brewing-kettle

I will transfer from that using one of those kaixin style pumps, through the HEX coil and back into the top of the MT.

Q: I understand that I might need to restrict the flow out of the pump. Can I use a hose clap for this? or should I use a ball valve?

I currently have a Keg King temp controller. I will be using this (at least initially) to control the temp of the HEX.

Q: I read that it is best to measure the temp at the "out" point of the coil. How do I get my temp probe into this region?

Lastly (for now) I will continue to be using my aluminium 40L pot for my BK. Currently, this has no tap. I have been siphoning out of this into a cube, but I am bloody sick of it.

Q: What, aside from the tap assembly itself, do I need to purchase to properly fit a tap to my pot? Seals, washers, nuts, threaded tube etc?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Tim.

Firstly, it might have been better for you to have asked your question before making a start !
There is a lot of information on site about Herms with lots of options, I personally went for a Kettle HEX, I find this is perfect for my needs.
2013-10-15 10.28.13.jpg

surly said:
Hey all, I was originally planning to build myself a recirculating 1V, but while researching and planning, I decided it was probably easier and not really more expensive to build a HERMS system.

So far, I have built my HEX - just needs a stand and some insulation.

attachicon.gif
IMAG0087_1.jpg

Currently looking into sourcing a stainless steel MT. Assuming shipping isn't too costly, I have been considering going through Cheekypeak as they have most, if not all, of what I want at reasonable prices.
This is what I was thinking of for a MT http://www.cheekypeakbrewery.com.au/index.php/everything-mashing/brewing-kettles/product/83-36-litre-stainless-steel-brewing-kettle

I will transfer from that using one of those kaixin style pumps, through the HEX coil and back into the top of the MT.

Q: I understand that I might need to restrict the flow out of the pump. Can I use a hose clap for this? or should I use a ball valve?

Ball valve

I currently have a Keg King temp controller. I will be using this (at least initially) to control the temp of the HEX.

Q: I read that it is best to measure the temp at the "out" point of the coil. How do I get my temp probe into this region?

Tee-piece on outlet of HEX with one of the sides being for the PT100 (or similar), and the other two being wort in & wort out.

Lastly (for now) I will continue to be using my aluminium 40L pot for my BK. Currently, this has no tap. I have been siphoning out of this into a cube, but I am bloody sick of it.

Q: What, aside from the tap assembly itself, do I need to purchase to properly fit a tap to my pot? Seals, washers, nuts, threaded tube etc?

Silicone o-ring, lock nut, plumbers tape, M-F threaded pipe, pickup tube and associated fittings.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Tim.

nala said:
Firstly, it might have been better for you to have asked your question before making a start !
There is a lot of information on site about Herms with lots of options, I personally went for a Kettle HEX, I find this is perfect for my needs.
I DID ask one or 2 questions in the HERMS thread, but largely went and ran with it, yes.
I wasn't capable of bending a coil tightly enough to fit a kettle and the HERM-IT style are pretty costly. Hopefully my HEX will be reasonably functional for a minimal outlay.

Only issue that may effect you is that your coil seems to be a little short in length. No big problem to lengthen it though if it is too short.
I think if the coil is too short, it will make a significant difference to your ramp time, as the wort has less contact time with the hot water.
With the ball valve, I only restrict mine after the pump for about 10-15 minutes at the start of the mash (protein rest period), so that the grain bed isnt pulled down too hard, which has caused me a few problems over the last 8 months. Once the grain bed is settled though, I fully open the valve.
Hope that helps
LB

I'm guessing it's the standard 3m Bunnings length. It'll be fine.
The only possibility is overshoot with a pot that size using an STC. Not sure that I've seen anyone say "my coil was too short, and problem solved when I made it longer".

Thanks guys.
Yes, it is the 3m bunnings coil. Will hopefully be ok.

I guess I will have to wait and see in regards to overshoot.

Almost complete.
Have done a brief wet run to test for leaks and functionality.
Since insulated the vessels and plumbed the pump up in the correct orientation.

Now all I have to do is insulate the hoses and build a lid for the HEX.
Maybe improve the wort return...

IMAG0100.jpg

Latest posts

Back