$2 Shop carboy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
Ok so I know it's not the best solution but I picked this 10l glass container up from a $2 shop because I'm planning on ageing a barleywine on some oak dominoes for a couple of months but now I'm starting bro have second thoughts. The top "seal" isn't going to be air tight and the plastic tap will also let oxygen in. Is this going to be a major issue? Should I age in a plastic fermenter instead or should I just pony up for a 10l glass carboy?

1417834587582-851110736.jpg

Couple of months as in 2?

A well sealed, well filled vessel of any kind will do. Cool/cold temps will help.

Most of my aged beers have been housed in 15-20 L demis with a silicon bung but the bung came with an airlock hole. Stuck an airlock in, tightly wrapped the opening with glad wrap and made sure the headspace was minimal. No unwelcome oxidation character noted by myself or others (although most were brett beers).

Do your best to keep oxygen out but you can't condition in a vaccuum. Even a proper demijohn needs to be sealed at the top to be oxygen resistant and 2 months isn't crazy long. Personally, I'd just rack into a cube, seal and refrigerate.

Only issues I got with these is they break really easy, got one for the wife to use for drinks at BBQ's and the such and one wash out with hot water and it cracked, took it back got another and same thing. so thought bugger going getting another, so went and got a more expensive ($30) one and it cracked too. for a brew I'd rather get a proper carboy designed for fermenting in.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just age in a cube.

Manticle. I was thinking about ageing for around 2 months but it depends on how long the oak character takes to come through I guess, it'll be my first high gravity brew and first time using oak so it's all a bit up in the air. When you suggest ageing cold, how cold do you suggest? I was planning on ageing around 18 but if I could use a standard fridge I have spare without temp control to age, it would free up the fermenting fridge for more brewing.

Latest posts

Back