2 Ring Gas Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive been given a two ring gas burner for free, and was wondering, do you guys reckon it will have enough juice to get my wort boiling? My pot is 35 litres, but I wont be filling it, planning on doing final litre batches of about 22 litres (average)...

Please dont tell me I need to go and get a three ring burner :huh:

Depends on how patient you are.
I used a 2 ring with a standard low pressure regulator and it took up to 60 minutes to bring 27 litres of wort to the boil.

Regards

Graeme

Depends on how patient you are.
I used a 2 ring with a standard low pressure regulator and it took up to 60 minutes to bring 27 litres of wort to the boil.

Regards

Graeme

Thats quite along time, allthough it beats shelling out more cash for my initial set up... SWMBO is allready unhappy enough at the mo with my shift to BIAB and the cost involved of getting all the gear...

Think ill see how my first couple of batchs go and look into a 3 ring later B) Cheers mate

I would definitely give it a go. It will easily boil 25L of wort. I have a 3 ring and could happily use just two of the rings. It will take longer but that's no biggy. Just start it on full power once the sparge is partly under way and you'll be hitting the boil very soon after the sparge is done.

I would definitely give it a go. It will easily boil 25L of wort. I have a 3 ring and could happily use just two of the rings. It will take longer but that's no biggy. Just start it on full power once the sparge is partly under way and you'll be hitting the boil very soon after the sparge is done.

Im not actually sparging cos ill be doing BIAB, so its all being done in the pot, heating water up to mash temp and boiling etc... So instead of sparging ill be draining, so assuming I crank the burner when I start draining I shouldnt have to wait too long?

Sorry mate, I didn't see that bit about BIAB. Yeah, I suppose its a similar story. It will take longer, but will most certainly get the job done.

By the way I totally agree with you about holding back on splurging on new equipment. I think there is something more satisfying about making great beer with the equipment you have at hand or have accumulated as you have. Its very easy just to spend "another $100" but very quickly it all adds up. If your burner is too slow for you then its no big deal as you have lost nothing giving it a go. And rest assured it WILL boil your wort quite happily, but may not blast you up to temp as quick as a nasa will. I think anything that makes the brew day more relaxed and laid back is good anyway!

G'day Reviled,
A large factor with your burner is what sort of regulator is feeding it. Around 12 months ago there was a bulk buy of adjustable High Pressure regulators from this eBay seller
I have one on my 4 ring and often use it on two rings only for smaller pots. This will give your burner a massive boost as well as being a prudent investment as they are also suitable for a large number of other higher capacity burners should you choose to upgrade in the future. This thread covers many associated questions (and fears :rolleyes: ).
Cheers
Doug

G'day Reviled,
A large factor with your burner is what sort of regulator is feeding it. Around 12 months ago there was a bulk buy of adjustable High Pressure regulators from this eBay seller
I have one on my 4 ring and often use it on two rings only for smaller pots. This will give your burner a massive boost as well as being a prudent investment as they are also suitable for a large number of other higher capacity burners should you choose to upgrade in the future. This thread covers many associated questions (and fears :rolleyes: ).
Cheers
Doug

+1 with Doogie, get one of the regulators he is talking about and it will save on you buying one of the dearer burners.

I have 3 rings but only use 2 with it

Rook

i use a 2 ring burner with standard low pressure regulator. in the summer i can even drop it down to one ring when it's boiling and it'll bubble away happily. only problem is, mid winter it takes 30-40 mins to bring to boil.

single batch = fine

-mike

Cheers for all the replys guys, looks like im going to give it a go with the 2 burner, man this is exciting, AG here I come :lol:

P.S, just went to get a regulator for it at BBQ city and found out that the burner hooks straight up to my bbq regulator B) Choice!

Stick with the bbq reg for the first brew and see how it goes. If you find yourself wanting more grunt then you can think about one of the variable jobbies. Having said that, on my 3 ring I have never felt the need for more than the bbq reg.

have used a 2 ring for all my AG but did eventually find a medium pressure reg to boost it a bit

it worked alright with the normal reg, just took time and didn't really achieve a great rolling boil in my keggle

have used a 2 ring for all my AG but did eventually find a medium pressure reg to boost it a bit

it worked alright with the normal reg, just took time and didn't really achieve a great rolling boil in my keggle

Kegs tend to have thicker s/s than other boilers and generally need a bit more oomph.

Kegs tend to have thicker s/s than other boilers and generally need a bit more oomph.

Thats what I was thinking, my stainless pot is much smaller and the metals way thinner...

I think it will work well mate. Give it a shot and then decide if you want to make any changes to regs etc. The first brew will tell all.

Make up a shroud for it, sorta concentrates the heat and ducts it up the side of the kettle, makes a difference.
I use a 6" high shroud with a gap between the shroud and kettle sides of around an inch. Thinking of going higher at a later date, maybe 10".
Some thin sheet steel flexed to form a circle with the ends overlapped around 2" then pop-riveted.
Have a few gaps around the base to let some air in for the burner.
Will upload a pic.

Strange, the Edit button is missing from my post above...

Here's my shroud, has had a few size changes over the years.
A bonus is it almost eliminates problems with wind if working outdoors like me.
Need a new one for my bigger kettle.

Shroud.jpg

Strange, the Edit button is missing from my post above...

Here's my shroud, has had a few size changes over the years.
A bonus is it almost eliminates problems with wind if working outdoors like me.
Need a new one for my bigger kettle.

That looks like a good idea! Might have to try jimmy something up :D

Just an update, 2 ring burner wasnt really the best, it took 50 mins to get 27 odd litres to the boil, and when it did I had to play with the lid of the kettle every now and then to keep it at a decent rolling boil (and even then it didnt really work that well)...

Would probably work with a better regulator, but ive just asked for a 3 ring for fathers day :icon_cheers:

Back