2.5 decoction wit question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelaxedBrewer

Reaction score
I love my wheat beers and have recently been doing a lot of research into brewing with different types of wheat (malted, raw, flaked and flour etc) and the methods people use.
I came across a recipe that has won competitions and some people swear by (tropical flour wit). It uses a 2.5 decoction that I don't understand.

Bellow is the decoction method

1. 1 kg of crushed grain is heated to 50C. All the flour mixed in. Raised to 68C and held for 30 minutes.
-I think this step is used to start to gelatinise the raw wheat (flour). Wheat gelatinise temperature is 52-66C.

2. this is added to rest of grain and water. Temperature levels out to arround mid 40C. Hold for 30 minutes
-This must be a beta-glucanases/cytases rest, often used when using raw wheat.

3. Lift a small proportion (25%). Raise to 70C hold 20 minutes, then boil for 5 minutes. add back to main mash.
-No idea why this step is used?

4. Temp will level out mid 50C. hold for 30 minutes.
-protein rest

5. Lift 35-40% of mash, raise to 70C, hold for 30 minutes, and boil then for 5 minutes, add then back to main mash.
No idea about this either

6. Temp levels out at 68C, hold for an hour, then sparge.
-saccharification rest

Basically I have no idea why step 3 and 5 are used (not 100% sure about step 1 either). Does here understand why they are used?
The only thing I can think of it that the help achieve the next temperature rest. But they have there own rest in that set as well.

Anyone with a bit more experience/knowledge have any more of an idea?

RB

Decoction helps with temp rests, colour and flavour development and also helps break down starch. The last was of more importance when malt was less well modified.

Ok, I looked up decoction mashes and found out how they work (that would have been smart to do before posting).

Step 3 & 5 have a saccharification rest in them to utilise all the enzymatic power in the decoction wort in them before they get boiled.

Makes sense now.

Latest posts

Back