1st Partial Og Too Low

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First partial today, haven't got a brew program, just followed a recipe, OG 1034, a bit low anything to add to get to around 1040, in fermenter with yeast at 4:45pm.

Cheers

Briby

I think people will need a volume amount to work out how much of a given adjunct to add.

Hi Guys,

First partial today, haven't got a brew program, just followed a recipe, OG 1034, a bit low anything to add to get to around 1040, in fermenter with yeast at 4:45pm.

Cheers

Briby

Basically you need to add some more malt or other fermentable (could boil up dextrose, cool it and add it in before the ferment really takes off.

To calculate how much, you could try entering the recipe in the spreadsheet at beerrecipator.org - free, online recipe tweaking software, quite easy to follow.

I would go malt as a low efficiency from your mash will probably mean the grain flavour will be light on as well. Could go either liquid malt or dried malt extract, something in keeping with the original recipe.

What was the recipe??

Brad

Sorry again, Gavos EB 1.9kg Simpsons Golden Promise
1.2kg DME Light
0.2kg Weyerman carared
0.1kg Weyerman Caraaroma
34Goldings 60mins
22Goldings 15mins
15Goldings 0mins

Steeped grains for 60mins @ 66deg in 6lts, sparged 6lts @ 74deg, pretty well i thought, obviously not.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Cheers
Briby

Basically you need to add some more malt or other fermentable (could boil up dextrose, cool it and add it in before the ferment really takes off.

To calculate how much, you could try entering the recipe in the spreadsheet at beerrecipator.org - free, online recipe tweaking software, quite easy to follow.

I would go malt as a low efficiency from your mash will probably mean the grain flavour will be light on as well. Could go either liquid malt or dried malt extract, something in keeping with the original recipe.
Thanks Mant, thought that would be the way to go, have to work out where the efficiency went wrong.
Cheers
Briby

Thanks Mant, thought that would be the way to go, have to work out where the efficiency went wrong.
Cheers
Briby

Did you crack the grains? If you did what did you use?

I had the same problem a few days ago - I tried the rolling pin in a bag method and when that seemed not to work too well I replaced the rolling pin with a wooden mallet. I don't recommend it - I'm dropping back to extract/specialty and possibly small/minimashes until I get a grain mill (even a cheap one). 3 kg of grain + all my other fermentables gave me an OG of 1034 in 15L (total intended to be 23). I blame my cracking method as many of the grains looked whole, others crushed way too much.

I ended up topping up, cooling, pitching an adding LME and a small amount of dextrose the next day. Looks and tastes great now.

Did you crack the grains? If you did what did you use?

I had the same problem a few days ago - I tried the rolling pin in a bag method and when that seemed not to work to well I replaced the rolling pin with a wooden mallet. I don't recommend it - I'm dropping back to extract/specialty and possibly small/minimashes until I get a grain mill (even a cheap one). 3 kg of grain + all my other fermentables gave me an OG of 1034 in 15L (total intended to be 23). I blame my cracking method as many of the grains looked whole, others crushed way too much.

I ended up topping up, cooling, pitching an adding LME and a small amount of dextrose the next day. Looks and tastes great now.

I bought the grains from G&G in Melb., they were supposed to be, and they did look crushed, to my amateur eyes, i've done the rolling pin thing with specialties in my K&Bs, small amounts aren't to bad. I did, looking at it now a BIAB with 6lt sparge, thought i'd done a good job, obviously not. But will persist as the aroma should give a great beer. I'd persist if i were you, my LHBS only has specialty grains, but crushes if you want. By the way i added 300dex. 200LME. 100malto, 1/2 a premium pack i had left over, didn't do a lot, so added 500gms DLME, up to1045, feel better now. Fermenter's up to 24lts now, hope the Nottinghams not to eruptive.

Cheers
Briby

I will persist - I'm just going back to what works until I have the right equipment.

My LHBS only cracks amounts of 10 kg or more. They sell 500g bags of cracked crystal but all the others are whole.

I also need a bigger pot and colander if I'm going to do anything more than 2 kg in one go.

Don't worry - the bug has bitten me.

I bought the grains from G&G in Melb., they were supposed to be, and they did look crushed, to my amateur eyes, i've done the rolling pin thing with specialties in my K&Bs, small amounts aren't to bad. I did, looking at it now a BIAB with 6lt sparge, thought i'd done a good job, obviously not. But will persist as the aroma should give a great beer. I'd persist if i were you, my LHBS only has specialty grains, but crushes if you want. By the way i added 300dex. 200LME. 100malto, 1/2 a premium pack i had left over, didn't do a lot, so added 500gms DLME, up to1045, feel better now. Fermenter's up to 24lts now, hope the Nottinghams not to eruptive.

Cheers
Briby

Briby
Well you know we scorn the use of dex and malto :lol: but at least it's only a small amount, the extra malt was a good way to go. It will be a little thinner but still will be good and definately better than any kit. ;)

My first partial had terrible efficiency and had to top up with extra malt. This is one of the things that is good about partials. If the gravity is down a bit just add some more malt extract. Have a look at your mashing temps and methods and the same with sparging. My partials now get around 80%.

The Nottingham will be fine, just keep the temp down to 18C or as close to that as you can. ;)

I can see you now looking for more bits of equipment... seems like you've been bitten by the grain brewing bug. You could get a small cheap esky and make a mash/lauter tun with a tap and some braid.

Manticle, persisting is definalty worth it. Get yourself a marga mill, they are only $125 from craftbrewer. I would have gotten one of these but I persisted with the pain of making a mill myself. Just got the hopper to go and an on/off switch... then get me some un-milled grain.

Cheers
Gavo.

Manticle, persisting is definalty worth it.

Cheers
Gavo.

I have absolutely no doubt. Just the difference in making a beer using malt, hops and minimash is amazing compared to a kit/kilo. Rudd's stimulus might buy me a cheap mill. The process is a lot longer and more complex but I really enjoy it from start to finish (finish being the last bottle in a batch).

It's also amazing the number of people who've had bad experiences with drinking home brew who'll happily come back for more of mine.

It's also amazing the number of people who've had bad experiences with drinking home brew who'll happily come back for more of mine.

You get that too hey. We have a bit of a get together once in a while here and nobody wants to bring beer anymore. Don't know whether thats good or bad. <_< :)

Cheers
Gavo.

You get that too hey. We have a bit of a get together once in a while here and nobody wants to bring beer anymore. Don't know whether thats good or bad. <_< :)

Cheers
Gavo.

Yeah i'm sooorry, it was there, and i was in a bit of a fluster, not knowing what to do, but as long as i learn and remember from my mistakes, i'll continue. How do i know where to improve efficiency. <_<

Cheers

Briby

How do i know where to improve efficiency. <_<

I have a 15 litre water cooler mash tun with a copper manifold. 1st partail was terrible for efficiency... around 55-60%. I slowed the sparge on the second one and went up to 75%. The one problem there is with a partial IMHO is that you have a smaller volume to sparge with. What I have read latley is to up the sparge temp a little... maybe try say 80C. If doing the mash in a pot maybe you could try doing a mini BIAB. Another way could be to make or buy a lauter tun like this one. You could also do this with a coil of braid for an easy manifold. There a multitude of ways of mashing and lautering, you just need to find what suits you and you will keep improving.

Cheers
Gavo.

3.5% is smack bang in the middle of the recommended abv for a bitter (english stadard/ordinary bitter). So nothin to worry about :p

3.5% is smack bang in the middle of the recommended abv for a bitter (english stadard/ordinary bitter). So nothin to worry about :p

So long as the bitterness is also smack bang in the middle...

The IBUs are having a real ale day on Big Brew Day and as there are going to be so many beers to taste, we're all brewing in this alc range. The key is to get the bitterness in balance. briby, what does your hop schedule look like?

So long as the bitterness is also smack bang in the middle...

The IBUs are having a real ale day on Big Brew Day and as there are going to be so many beers to taste, we're all brewing in this alc range. The key is to get the bitterness in balance. briby, what does your hop schedule look like?

Thanks Post, immaterial really since i added extra fermentables, OG now 1045, but schedule was
34gms @ 60mins
22gms @ 15mins
15gms @ 0mins
whatever i did wrong, i've got grains in my beer, it'll be drinkable (god i hope so) :( , and it'll be better than the other 35 brews i've made.

Cheers
Briby ;)

Back