1st AG in the bag... literally

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitch the Galaxy when you cold crash . Bottle or Keg after 3-4 days less likely to get the grassy flavours from the Galaxy hops .

Perfect so am i best to add them and then drop the temp down to about 5 OR wait till its dropped and then add?

i have PLENTY of other hops i could use, but like that galaxy flavour

nvs-brews said:
last sunday on pitching yeast... so been 7 days...
I thought you may of done that based on the date of brew v's hyrdo sampling and tasting comments.

Adding hops at the start would of stripped out the aromatic oils expected from the hops during the primary fermenatation activity. This can also happen sometimes when primary has finished and the krausen hasnt dropped out and you add hops, the yeast is super sticky and will cover/coat the hops and the outcome is less. Some brewers like to rack to secondary to seperate the yeast/trub cake from the beer before the dry hopping, others just add after primary is complete, Ive tried both and the results are similar.

When you dry hop leave it till primary fermentation has either finished or ir near FG, say 2-3 gravity points to go and do this at fermentation temp (some like to do it cold, but warm imparts more oils from the hops) Some like to add when there is a few gravity points to go because the small oxygen introduced will be cleaned up via the yeast activity for the ferment finish. I haven't noticed any off results from adding after fermentation is complete but you can figure out what works best for you.

What to do then, dry hop it again with 40g of citra and leave it for 5-7days at 20c, after that cold crash it for 2-3days @ 4c and package as usual :icon_drool2:

I have read that dry hopping at about 20/21 is optimal temp.. but there is so much information on the net its all a bit confusing...

nvs-brews said:
I have read that dry hopping at about 20/21 is optimal temp.. but there is so much information on the net its all a bit confusing...
its a good temp to dry hop at, its my preference due to being such a hop head and chasing the heavy aromatic/flavour contribution from the addition. You will find that with some hops and beer styles are better with colder temps around the 10c-12c range or even lower near the cold crash temps for dry hopping. try them out and find what you like for your beers, but one thing learned is not to dry hop when you pitch, always at end of ferment :D

i dry hopped & pitched yeast on a few extracts... never faded like this.. but yeah, im not going to dry hop on pitch anymore!
lesson learnt...
lucky ive got bulk hops to play about with!
:)

all part of the learning process, it tastes ok, but yeah i want that initial hop nose on it..

Pratty1 said:
What to do then, dry hop it again with 40g of citra and leave it for 5-7days at 20c, after that cold crash it for 2-3days @ 4c and package as usual :icon_drool2:
Will try this, but will galaxy be alright? ive heard there a bit of a bugger to dry hop?
or shall i keep like the rest of the recipe and add more citra..

yeah thats the post that made me worry about using it... i will think about it..
food for thought..

Cheers for the help

Chill it down and then dry hop for 3-4 days max and it will give you the maximum flavor . I have two that I have dry hopped now and because I left it for about 2 - 3 weeks they are now starting to impart that a grassy flavor.

Latest posts

Back