1st AG in the bag... literally

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brews

Reaction score
Well after a few years on the extract brews i made the big cross over..
Used a 2x 20L urn's, BIAB method, no sparge and it all came out well..
pretty flawless cross over, apart from a manual thermometer smashing and leaking red fluid in 2 one of the vessels (pre mash, scooped it out and it seems to have not effected it to badly so far)
Took a few more hours than the old extract but it was damn good fun..

Got more of a boil of then expected so ended up with less volume and slightly stronger beer.

No chill so had to wait till yesterday to pitch, and bubbling away today!! :beerbang:

Like with my brewing styles, i didnt really follow a recipe, just wing it and made up something that seemed to be something i would enjoy.. was gonna do a smash but that went out the window

4.5kg Pale
.5 rye
.5 biscuit
.35 caramunich
.2 caradark

25g citra @ 60
25g citra @ 20
40g citra dry

wyeast 1056

og 1.060

so interested in how it will turn out, these next couple of weeks are gonna drag!

exciting time ahead!!!

hard to really tell but it was purchased recently and new... so most signs point to it being alcohol..
its fermenting so that was a good sign.. i think

probably, would check if you can.

Well done on the crossover, no doubt the extra effort will be justified!

im pretty sure i got it from ebay cheap...or somwehere cheap...
i doubt they would use mercury now, a lot more expensive and i think only chemists use them...
i will keep searching!

Moad said:
I'm sure it will be fine... live on the edge :super:
well i was sampling some of it the last couple of days and it hasn't made me any more crazy!!
:blink:

nvs-brews said:
well i was sampling some of it the last couple of days and it hasn't made me any more crazy!!
:blink:
That could be the mercury talking ;)
How much yeast did you use? 40 litres from a single pack of 1056 is well underpitching for a 1.060 wort.

fair call.. i guest as much, i have some us05 sitting there, should i pitch it now or wait until it stalls?

whatever effect underpitching will have has probably already occured to my understanding. If it doesn't fully attenuate then you could use your 05 and bump the temp up or ideally another 1056 to keep it all the same yeast.

needed to use 1056 as it was starting to get old and swell..
i dont mind mixing it with us05..
will leave it a few days and see how it goes... cat smashed my hydrometer so cant even see how it going atm

US-05 and 1056 are teh same yeast in all literature I've read.
Would love a second opinion on it but I think adding a pack of US-05 post-haste would be a good move. Exactly how much brew did you end up with in the fermeter/s? Did you make a starter?

Moad said:
I'd be checking what was in that thermometer mate.
Mercury is silver... hence the nickname 'quicksilver'
the red liquid is usually some form of alcohol.

i would be more worried about the small shards of glass.... but i did the same thing in my last brew. glass and lead shot all in my mash (i didnt rupture the thermometer itself, just the case).
I figure the glass is heavier than everything else, so at the most, it will end up in the trub.
just be careful not to disturb it too much.

and before anyone says anything, the 'lead shot' is more likely to be stainless bearings.

got 18L batch.. so its strong(ish) but not a huge batch

nah i havent got into starters yet.. prob should soon,
will pitch a pack of us05 when i get home..

Aren't off flavours from underpitching produced in the lag phase? Or is just that the lag phase is longer so more vulnerable to infection etc

bollocks...
looks like i right on the cusp
quoted from wyeast site
"The Wyeast Activator (125 ml) smack-pack is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard ale wort (O.G. < 1.060, 65-72°F)."

took nearly everything into consideration BUT amount of yeast..
as well... least i will think about it next time

still has happy with the taste of the wort, now to see what the yeast does..

so ive been trying my hydro sample and the 40g of dry citra seems to have faded a lot..
How does say a extra 20/30 of galaxy dry for for 4/5 days??

Back