1kg Plain Flour In A Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To lessen the probability of a gluey mash - you can do a nice beta glucan-protein rest to knock out some of the stickier stuff, both glucans and protiens.

Before you mash, take your flour and about 0.5 kg of crushed pale/pilsner malt and put em in a pot with 4L of 43 degree water. This should give you a mash temp of about 40degrees, not to important, just aiming for about 40.

Stick it on the stove and slowly heat it up to 63degrees or whatever your planned main mash temperature is going to be - stirring constantly and pausing at 43-45 and again at 50-52. It will be claggy as hell at first, but you will notice as the mash progresses, it loosens up and becomes much more liquid.

When you get the temp to the same as your planned main mash - mash in your main mash and dump in the glucan mash.

The beta glucan / protien rest will make a fair difference in the viscosity of the wort and hopefully save you any potential trouble with a sticky mash - raising the whole kaboodle to a mash out temp will also help increase wort viscosity and lautering ease.

TB

Yep. I've done the TFW recipe, and just going over the last time I brewed it, it has 44% flour (2.25kg/24L). Use plenty of rice hulls . Plan to brew this again in the next week or two. I have found that using the flour makes for a much lighter, sparkling and refreshing Wit. Belgian Wit (using wheat flour)

Ooohhh, so have you figured out what "secret ingredient X" at strikeout is? Would love to know.

With regards to washing the rice hulls, I've never done this and been plenty happy with the results, I don't wash my grain & husks either. ;)

What might I be letting into my beers, not worried about colour.

I understand X = Cardamon
I also am not concerned about laeching a bit colour out of my rice hulls, as I said sort of mash em by themselves, you will get a definite cedar box aroma, this clearly also happens to your rice hull mashed beers, as I said if you cant detect then frankly just do not worry aroma thresholds vary from smell to smell and person to person, perhaps I am just sensitive to that aroma or perhaps I am wrong in my opinion that such a smell is not appropriate in a wit. Your choice.

K

I understand X = Cardamon
I also am not concerned about laeching a bit colour out of my rice hulls, as I said sort of mash em by themselves, you will get a definite cedar box aroma, this clearly also happens to your rice hull mashed beers, as I said if you cant detect then frankly just do not worry aroma thresholds vary from smell to smell and person to person, perhaps I am just sensitive to that aroma or perhaps I am wrong in my opinion that such a smell is not appropriate in a wit. Your choice.

K

Fair call, I will rinse when doing delicate beers. Any indication as to how much Cardamon seed per litre of finished beer?

Sorry to be off topic.

Cheers

Rob

Well, just cubed my wit and it all went pretty smoothly. had the 1kg flour and 300g oats with some of the malted grain in a mini mash for a glucan rest before adding to the rest of the grain pretty much as Thirsty Boy suggested. No problems with the flour clumping or it being too gluey. Couple of dough balls but 5min of stirring an squashing against the side of the pot sorted that out.

Used about 300g of rice hulls in about 4.5kg of grain & flour and had no problems sparging as long as I didn't rush it. Got excited on the second sparge run and it did set like concrete, but a bit of a stir, recirculate and I was on my way again. Didn't bother with a mashout.

Out of the kettle the colour was bang on for that cloudy white you expect for a wit. Tasted good out of the kettle so now just have to wait and see how the final product turns out. :icon_cheers:

nice work. Glad it went well.

I tried using wheatbix (homebrand) as my source of unmalted wheat - there was some small issue with sticking....... but it got made and the Wit was good.

Have no doubt that yours will be too.

Cheers

TB

I know of one Belgian mob (not especially artisanal) who use star anise - possibly X. One aspect that never seems to receive much attention is use of alcohol to extract more oils, ie, dry spicing. It certainly works for coriander, although I understand that the dried peel actually needs a boil (and prolly doesn't have too much oil content after being dehydrated anyway).

Since Graham named it "Tropical Flower Wit", I always assumed the secret ingredient was a tropical flower, or seeds from the flowering plant. Or maybe he meant "Tropical Flour Wit", referring to the flour in the recipe?

Latest posts

Back