19mm (3/4 Inch) Cooper Pipe For Immersion Chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have about 8 meters of 19mm copper tube that I got for free I was wondering if I could use it for a immersion chiller?

Planing on chilling 20lts of wort.

Cheers Fil

Mine is about 10m of 1/2" and does 20-25L batches fine, 8m of 3/4" will be fine i'm sure.

Bend it round a keg or handy pail, pretty easy if you go slowly although if it is thin wall copper filling it with sand can help it collapsing/pinching

I got 15m of 1/2" and it cools about 46lts of wort to 22 deg in 30 mins and 25lts in about 15 mins :p I think it should be fine may be a bit slow for double batches. you prob wont need the flow rate to high on that. Just adjust it to suit. Only problem I have with a immersion is the waste of water but I water my hops with it and what ever else needs doing. Was thinking of getting 2 big containers and just pump from one to the other.

Biggest hassle with 3/4" is that the surface area to volume of coolant ratio is not ideal - you'll have a whole lot of water in there that's not playing as active a part in the colling as would otherwise be the case.

I know it seems counter intuitive, but smaller diameter is better for heat transfer.

Andy

... but then again free is free :)

Hey guys,

I have about 8 meters of 19mm copper tube that I got for free I was wondering if I could use it for a immersion chiller?

Planing on chilling 20lts of wort.

Cheers Fil

you could make a pre-chiller out of it

100_3821.jpg

100_3822.jpg

Yard

this is mine its 3/8 or 10 mm. i would prob stick with smaller diamater
or it will waste a lot more water. go for smaller dia and more meters of it
i think it about contact time rater than volume? <_<
chiller.jpg

S'pose if u had the means to flatten the pipe, the whole volume/contact area issue would be fixed. Turning it into an inefficient shape for flow, building resistance and allowing better heat exchange.

How you go about flattening and coiling flattened pipe is none of my concerns. I cube :)

Thanks for the responses guys. I know it would be inefficient but it was free and I don't have any other use. If I end up have to go smaller I guess I can just use it as a pre chiller or sell it for scrap. Water is not a concern since I have a pool.

Back