• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

3/8 inch soft copper tube 15m

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Miles

Reaction score
Hi there fellow brewers,

I purchased 15m of 3/8" soft copper tubing recently to make an immersion chiller but decided to go in a different direction for my wort chilling. As such, I no longer have any need for it.

The tubing is brand new (picture below). I purchased it for $95 but i'm happy to off-load it for $75. If interested, PM me. I'm based on North Turramurra Sydney.

upload_2019-12-11_15-50-33.png

If there are no takers i'll simply keep it - you never know when copper tube might come in handy!

Cheers
Lee

Probably best if you can use it fresh, it is annealed, which makes it easier to bend but this wears off with time

I have some which has probably been hanging round for 15 years and it is to hard to bend easily, somewhere between a couple and fifteen years it will loose it's softness, just sayin'
Just re-anneal it. Copper is good like that.

I have some which has probably been hanging round for 15 years and it is to hard to bend easily, somewhere between a couple and fifteen years it will loose it's softness, just sayin'
Pure copper which copper pipe generally is shouldn't harden with time, it does work harden but as mentioned above is very easily annealed. I have straightened and re bent thermo couples without any problems, not being awkward but I have never heard of copper hardening with time.

Pure copper which copper pipe generally is shouldn't harden with time, it does work harden but as mentioned above is very easily annealed. I have straightened and re bent thermo couples without any problems, not being awkward but I have never heard of copper hardening with time.
Dead right Wide eyed and Legless. The only way copper or any other metal will harden is through 'work hardening'. bbending, working or striking the metal.

Probably just my imagination then.

In my experience old copper can become hard.
I was an automotive lpg installer for 18 years and when having to do repairs or maintenance on old systems I found the copper to be a lot harder to bend and when having to re-flare it would crack the pipe 9 times out of 10.

In my experience old copper can become hard.
I was an automotive lpg installer for 18 years and when having to do repairs or maintenance on old systems I found the copper to be a lot harder to bend and when having to re-flare it would crack the pipe 9 times out of 10.
Exposure to vibration will work harden copper pipes.

There are metals that do harden over time the ones I have had experience with are cast iron and brass, but I have never heard of copper doing it. Getting back to the OP copper does come in handy and one never knows when one may need it, don't just think immersion chiller, its used elsewhere as well.

Latest posts

Back