15min Apa Hop Profile

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Brew

Reaction score
I wanna test out some hops that a new to me by doing some single hop recipes. The plan is to do three 15 minute APAs. All will be single hop and only a 15 minute addition to 35IBU using Apollo, Bravo and Citra.

Im an extract brewer doing 10 litre boils then topping up to 25 litres when pitching the yeast. Recipe is:

2.5kg Light DME

250g Crystal 120 EBC

250g Dextrose

US-05 or WLP022 Essex ale yeast (Undecided)

Process:

Steep the grains for 30-45min

500g Light DME in boil

15 minute hop addition (either Apollo, Bravo or Citra)

Add rest of fermentables at flame out

Rack into a 10L cube and pitch a few days later.

Questions are:

Is the base recipe basic enough to get a profile from each of these hops?

Any changes that could be made to improve? Is there any other base recipes I could use for a better beer/hop profile?

Because I am no chilling does that affect the 15 minute hop addition? or should I be adding the hops to the cube assuming it takes about 15 minutes to cool below 70 C? Or should I be cooling ASAP in a ice bath before going into a cube? (Cubing until I have three fermenters free to ferment all at the same time)

Should I use the trusty US-05 or WLP022 Essex yeast? I dont really care that it has to be an American yeast to be an APA, not really aiming for style just trying to get a hop profile.

Cheers
Midnight Brew

Questions are:

Is the base recipe basic enough to get a profile from each of these hops?

Any changes that could be made to improve? Is there any other base recipes I could use for a better beer/hop profile?

Because I am no chilling does that affect the 15 minute hop addition? or should I be adding the hops to the cube assuming it takes about 15 minutes to cool below 70 C? Or should I be cooling ASAP in a ice bath before going into a cube? (Cubing until I have three fermenters free to ferment all at the same time)

Should I use the trusty US-05 or WLP022 Essex yeast? I don't really care that it has to be an American yeast to be an APA, not really aiming for style just trying to get a hop profile.

Cheers
Midnight Brew

your malt bill is simple enough to let the hops shine,

i would fast chill your brew rather than no chill, to bring out the most of the hops

i would also push the addition forward to 10 mins, there is a well discussed 10 min ipa thread in the recipe db

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=46298

Cube hopping is approx equivalent to 10-15min boil time ... there has been plenty of discussion in recent times to this end.

Well I had one of my 10 min IPA's I did which calced at around 50 IBU thought it needed more bitterness and at a recent brew meeting other people where of the same opinion. With the amount of aroma and flavour the citra adds I am definetly going to aim around the 60 IBU or slighty more as discussed in the recipe thread. Might be something to keep in mind when doing a lower gravity and bitterness beer. Im sure part of the idea is that it adds enough bitterness to balance out the hops without it seeming too out of place.

Latest posts

Back