15a Plug On 40l Birko

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kierent said:
Ended up getting a 15A socket installed on the AC wiring. Boils like a beast, I have had to add water to every brew because it evaporates so much. But that's cool. I have searched this question and I think it's ok, but does anyone know if having a boil that's really vigorous will actually over bitter my brew? I haven't noticed the brews are over bittered but theoretically, is a rolling boil preferable to a vigorous boil? (even though those terms are relative). I don't mind adding water, just don't wanna over bitter.

the additional evap will be fine, just a PITA that you need to add water post/during boil,

Does it have a "temp" controller on the urn ? Just control your boil that way.

kierent said:
Ended up getting a 15A socket installed on the AC wiring. Boils like a beast, I have had to add water to every brew because it evaporates so much. But that's cool. I have searched this question and I think it's ok, but does anyone know if having a boil that's really vigorous will actually over bitter my brew? I haven't noticed the brews are over bittered but theoretically, is a rolling boil preferable to a vigorous boil? (even though those terms are relative). I don't mind adding water, just don't wanna over bitter.
hopefully there is a thermostat on it you can reduce your boil a bit? it's not going to change your hop utilisation/isomerization of alpha's BUT the concentration of the resulting wort could be slightly variable and change your OG, IBU's & SRM.

I'd be looking to manage the power of your boil to get a consistent boil without top up, or adjust your pre-boil volume to match the evaporation rate you are experiencing. Even though adding more water to the boil as you go to hit your final volume is ok, the real goal is nailing down a precise process and recipe that you can follow and duplicate as desired, or being able to adapt other peoples recipe's to your system and get the same results as they do.

Back