150 Lashes Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J'sGarage

Reaction score
Here's what we are doing today (now, actually)

1 tin of Morgan's "Stockman's Draught"
1kg BC Brew Booster
1 BC Pale Ale/Bitter Grain pack(crystal malt) steeped for 30mins
250g Dex to bump the alcohol content up a smidge
15g Amarillo
15g Nelson Sav
15g Willamette
S-05 yeast
All hops made into a tea and steeped for 10min then dry hopped as well
(probably doesn't make a difference but thats how we're doing it.)
SG 1.044

fingers crossed.

I'm pretty new to homebrew but seeing as no one else has replied I will give you my 2cents.
Feel free to tell me to shove it, I'm just snow balling how I would go about attempting this and I haven't had a 150 lashes in while (asides from the one I had last night and the USA vs. Canada ice hockey).

I always thought the hops for JS150 were:

Amarillo,
Galaxy,
POR,
And NS.

US-05 sounds pretty good to me, I would suggest double pitching at a pretty cold temp, say 12 - 14c and warming it up over 48 hours to 16 - 18c and fermenting for at least 10 to 14 days before cold crashing.

As for extract Morgan's "Stockman's Draught" wouldn't have been my first choice. I would have gone with maybe a Thomas coopers selection wheat beer, coopers Pale Ale or Morgan’s Blue Mountain Lager or the morgans canadienne legere if you want something a little lighter.

Then maybe I would think about maybe 500g of wheat malt 800 light DME.

Let me think about this for a little longer and I will add more if you are interested...

brzt6060 said:
US-05 sounds pretty good to me, I would suggest double pitching at a pretty cold temp, say 12 - 14c and warming it up over 48 hours to 16 - 18
Why would you suggest that? You'll also need to add some Biocloud to get the authentic look.

indica86 said:
Why would you suggest that? You'll also need to add some Biocloud to get the authentic look.
[SIZE=12pt]As I said I'm pretty new and just chipping in my 2c cents and giving a bit of thought to how I would attack making a JS150 clone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Having looked through your post history I don't doubt that you know what you are talking about, and I would love to hear further from you on what you would suggest for a K&K JS150 clone. I'm always looking to learn more. Further if you look though my post history you will see I am very new to this, but that I am eager to learn and eager to help out the forum that has already taught me so much.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There are a few reasons I didn't bother suggesting any other yeasts:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1) From what I have read yeasts don't make as big a difference in kit and kilo brewing, don't get me wrong they still make a difference and it’s still important to use the right strain for the type of beer.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2) From what I have read US-05 produces very low diacetyl and a very clean, crisp taste which seems to suit the JS150 beer.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3) I haven't suggested a conventional diacetyl rest due to the cool pitching of the US-05 and the slow warm to 18c after 48 hours.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.5pt]indica86, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]If I have been wrong in my post I not only have no issue admitting it, I would also ask you to please point out not just where I am wrong but why I am wrong so that I can continue to learn.[/SIZE]

Go for it, keep notes and adjust if necessary next brew.

Relax, I was wondering why two packets pitched low and then raised would be used.
1) Yeast makes a MASSIVE difference no matter what the brewing, throw a packet of Belle Saison at that brew and it will be so vastly different.
2) Yes, US05 is the goods.
3) US05 - American ale yeast producing well balanced beers with low diacetyl and a very clean, crisp end palate. No need for a rest.

Yes some wheat would have been closer to the mark as that is what I read is in the beer. James Squires also do put Biocloud in it - I read recently - to make it appear cloudy.

BTW - to the OP, the brew looks good, let us know how it all goes.

this is from the back of the tap at a pub I did a job at,
you are correct with the POR, but as the Morgans has a reasonably high bitterness as it stands, i felt confident in leaving the POR out.

At the end of the day, I am only aiming for similar, if I hit the nail on the head, then great.

As I only have heating control at the moment I am fermenting at 18 as I figure that is achievable with the weather the way it is at the moment (Ipswich,QLD)
150lashes.jpg

indica86 said:
Relax, I was wondering why two packets pitched low and then raised would be used.
1) Yeast makes a MASSIVE difference no matter what the brewing, throw a packet of Belle Saison at that brew and it will be so vastly different.
Apologies if my response came across as defensive, it wasn't meant that way at all.

100% agree that yeasts do make a difference and that it is important to use a yeast that much the style of beer, what I was getting at was the difference between “US-05” and say “Wyeasts 1056” wouldn't be worth getting hung up over on a K&K brew.

OP: Sorry if I have high jacked your thread a little, I like the sound of your brew and am keen to hear updates on how it turns out.

Should be a good beer as is but if I where to do it I would use the coopers pale ale tin and wouldn't worry about the crystal as I think it might be a little sweet

I was a bit unsure with the crystal too, but to my palate the 150 is fairly sweet.

For me it is sweet too.
If I was doing it I'd go the Coopers APA can + a Coopers wheat can, 500 g DME and 250g crystal.
Steep the crystal, strain, add the DME to and water to 5 litres, bring to boil, add the hops in the OP.
Boil 10 minutes, strain, add the rest to 23 litres, pitch yeast @ 18°c and ferment.

brzt6060 said:
........ I would suggest double pitching at a pretty cold temp, say 12 - 14c and warming it up over 48 hours to 16 - 18c ...............
I'm not sure why you would double pitch an ale yeast at that cold a temp, and raise to fermentation temps. You run the risk it going dormant/starting really slow and therefore increasing the risk of infection in the first 48 hrs.
US05 Works best between 15 - 22(but does work at 12), so my suggestion would be to pitch as close to 18 as you can. I cannot see the harm in double pitching other than wasting cash. An OG of 1.044 does not normally require 2 packets of yeast. It's more for anything over 1.050 I believe.

I have no idea if the OP recipe will be like the 150 lashes, but my 2 cents is to replace the dextrose with dry light malt. Other than that I reckon it should be a winner!

If you think its too sweet then why recommend steeping the cystal ? And also I think a 10 minute boil of all those hops will make it a bit high in bitterness. I would make the Willamette at 10 and the rest at flame out

I didn't say too sweet, I said sweet too.
And I ran it through IanH's spreadsheet...
**** me, why bother...

The recipe from what I no which may be of there database :) has no Por. Exactly what u have at the top but add galaxy. Alot of pubs put what they think is in it on the label. I could possibly show u all the right ibu's but got no alphas. None are dry hopped but are all late additions to the boil

To get a similar flavour I use coopers pale ale kit, some galaxy hops steeped for 10mins before hand them added to the brew and US - 05 yeast.

Gives a nice flavour that is recognizable in the style of 150 lashes.

Back