$15 Willow 20l Cubes At Bunnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big78sam

Frequent poster - My post count is no reflection o
Reaction score
So I went to bunnings today and they had the "no name brand" cubes for $24. They had smaller willow carry can, maybe 15L for $15 and no price on the 20L willow ones. I grabbed the 20L willow and to my surprise it was only $15 at the checkout. They are $25 at Big W. Maybe this was priced wrong and given the price of the smaller one but unfortunately they only had one left or I would have bought a few.

Anyway it might be worth a look if you're after a cube or 2.

that's what I paid for mine yesterday

what do you mean by "cube" ?
carrycan_6089.jpg

I got 5 from BigW last week :angry: . I had a feeling they were heaps cheaper at bunnings. I'm using them as fermenters as I can fit 4 in my brew fridge as opposed to 2 round ones. Its going to be fun cleaning them. Idophor might be required. These are the Jerrycan type retangular shape not the square strictly cube shape right?

what do you mean by "cube" ?

A plastic jerry can or "carry can" used to store wort if doing AG using the no chill method. Wort can be stored for months in these until you're ready to put in the fermenter and pitch yeast

I got 5 from BigW last week :angry: . I had a feeling they were heaps cheaper at bunnings. I'm using them as fermenters as I can fit 4 in my brew fridge as opposed to 2 round ones. Its going to be fun cleaning them. Idophor might be required. These are the Jerrycan type retangular shape not the square strictly cube shape right?
They clean easily enought, just dump some napisan in it and fill with water and leave overnight and rinse out, all the crap just falls out with no need to try and scrub it.

They clean easily enought, just dump some napisan in it and fill with water and leave overnight and rinse out, all the crap just falls out with no need to try and scrub it.

Yep - that's the way to clean 'em. Napisan for a day or two, then rinse, and iodophor to zap the bugs if any, that are left. Never had an infection in a cube. :super: it's the round fermenters that are suss :)

Question -- is the Aldi "Di-san" the same stuff as napisan?

^Basically you want something that is unscented and has sodium percarbonate as the main active ingredient.

A tip, stolen from someone else on here, throw some rice with your bleach/napisan to act as an abrasive.

I often no chill into my 20L Willow cube, chill to desired temp, then pitch yeast directly. Once I've racked I'm left behind with all manner of sticky stuff but mostly trub and krausen residue. Bleach and rice, shake around and voila - perfectly clean!

Latest posts

Back