15 amp tempreture controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewgong

Reaction score
Gday fellas just bought a 3600w element from cheeky peak for my HLT for some reason it has a 10 amp plug on it im not sure that it matters bit i have a 15 amp circuit for it anyway. So i set it up in my hlt and i plugged it into a old temp controller i had lying around it was a mangrove jacks stc-200 i set the temp to 80° and off it went. Next minute its reading 85° and still cooking i picked up the controller and it was hot Fu$%ing HOT and stunk of burning plastic. Killed the power unplugged it even the 15amp lead plugged into the controller was hot. So after some research i see the mangrove jack controller is rated at 10 amps I still would have thought it should trip out something.
Anyway so now im looking for a new controller that can handle 15amps minimum any suggestions?

I have brought STC-1000's on eBay that were rated at 30A, other option is to use your 10A controller to drive a relay, SSR, contactor... type switch so the power isn't going through the controller.
Mark

Back