15/16 inch US tap -> adapt to AU garden hose?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slash22000

Stereotypical Lupulin Addict
Reaction score
This one is a long shot but I'm hoping I'm not the only person in Australia who has suffered the yankee curse.

Moved into a new unit, my hose adapters don't fit any of the new taps. After a few hours of Googling it turns out the wanker landlord has installed American faucets with "15/16 inch" threads. In other words, incompatible with ******* everything.

I can see on eBay etc that adapters do exist (in the USA) but I have no idea if adapters exist to convert 15/16 inch faucets to suit Australian hose adapters, and I'd rather not wait 2-3 weeks before I can brew anything (my wort chiller, kettle filling hose, etc everything hooks onto my old adapters).

Does anybody know of any place in Australia that would sell US faucet adapters? I tried Bunnings but the guy thought I was a nutcase, dunno if he was useless or if Bunnings don't sell them.

Talk to a plumber we do have Australian standards is the plumbing legal .

As wynum said, im pretty sure thats illegal.... I know my plumbing mates have had trouble like this with people importing shit in and wanting to use it because its cheaper or fancy and not found in Aus and they refuse to do it and leave site. call Reece or Tradelink and check with them...

Why don't you just swap a tap over to another standard type for brewing purposes, then put the old one back on when you move out.

is it only the tap ends that are imperial though? Maybe it all is.

my CFC is from the states and I couldn't find anything to fit it in the garden hose area at bunnings. then I wandered down the plumbing aisle and found some black (sewer?) pipe and fittings that were made in Thailand. For some reason those fittings fit my CFC just fine (yes, I took the CFC to bunnings with me and yes they tried to charge me for it). And, magically, there was an adapter in and amongst the bits and pieces they had there. Works perfect. Hope you have similar luck!

adapter.gif

shaunous said:
is it only the tap ends that are imperial though? Maybe it all is.
My guess is the pipe fittings on the wall are std. It's one thing to fit some fancy imported taps but another thing altogether to plumb a whole house in non-standard fittings. The plumber would have bought his fittings from the local wholesaler.
Regards, Dave

Had the same issue with my therminator. A friends sister brought me back 2 hose connectors when she returned from the states.

Had the same with my therminator as well. Went to the green shed, bought two good quality plastic fittings. Put Teflon tape over the therminator threads and threaded the plastic connectors on there. When it started to get a bit hard to tighten by hand Tightened a bit with a wrench and there you go, no leaks!

Try a spa shop, they have the same fittings on their drain lines

I tried Bunnings but the guy thought I was a nutcase

every customer is a nutcase

, dunno if he was useless

most likely

or if Bunnings don't sell them.

they don't sell most of the important stuff we want

:ph34r: am I still allowed to bag the place even if I havent worked there for over 3 years now?

Latest posts

Back