12l Kegs And Eskys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Hi!

So I'm thinking of going down the more portable keg route, and I'm keen on those stumpy looking 12L kegs, and grabbing an esky to fill with ice. Has anyone done this and know of a good/perfect sized esky for them? Those kegs are pretty expensive, and I don't want to buy one if I cant do it properly ;)

Hi!

So I'm thinking of going down the more portable keg route, and I'm keen on those stumpy looking 12L kegs, and grabbing an esky to fill with ice. Has anyone done this and know of a good/perfect sized esky for them? Those kegs are pretty expensive, and I don't want to buy one if I cant do it properly ;)

The round Keep Cold? Coolers are great for smaller kegs and bigger ones, I use 1 I picked up from Recycling Centre for $2, works a treat and keeps ice for a few days..

Not sure on the size of the 12ltr kegs though, I think they would still fit though....

:icon_cheers: CB

I'm sure it's a very similar thing to whats mentioned above, but i've used by 'Gatorade' esky/mash tun for this purpose plenty of times and it works a treat with 19ltr kegs. Two bags of ice and it's full.

Cheers SJ

I have exactly this set up. It's a tight fit up one end of a 44L Willow brand Esky
With a bag of ice you still have room for a 6 pack and bottle of wine for the ladies.

@Grantw: I mean these kegs: http://www.beertech.com.au/detail-product.php?id=15

I saw a nice setup with the Gatorade cooler. Looks really neat :)

@slacka: Does it all fit ok with the lid closed?? I'm trying to get something that is all enclosed and the like. Do you use the soda stream bottles or the little charger bulbs? Sounds good though! I'd probably go more for the picnic tap/pluto rather than a tap on the outside too. Depends how adventurous I feel :p

Hi!

NME I've got 2 of those kegs they're 30cm across I can't get them in my 50lt esky they're too wide. So just check before you get your cooler that they fit.

Bull

Thanks bull.

Cortez: That looks AWESOME. Is there enough clearance in the top if I wanted to attach the charger bulbs rather than the soda stream?? Although that does look REALLY good :)

ANyone know where to get one of those really small regulators, with one dial?

Ok. How much clearance is there between the posts and the lid of the esky??

ANyone know where to get one of those really small regulators, with one dial?
I hear GL has one on his wheely keg, two very large marrow bones to keep the ferocious dogs occupied and its yours :p

There should be enough space in the lid for one of those little do dad's, although you seriously only need to hook up your CO2 a half dozen times maximum to drain the full 12 litres. So there really is no point leaving it hooked up.
Image067.jpgImage069.jpg
There's still enough space in this 44L esky for a full bag of ice and other drinks.

Sorry, mild OT sort of...

Do any party keggers use one of these and whats the review?

If you were only gonna use you party kegs say, 4 times a year would these be a better option than a soda stream re-fillable bottle?

View attachment 33555

Sorry, mild OT sort of...

Do any party keggers use one of these and whats the review?

If you were only gonna use you party kegs say, 4 times a year would these be a better option than a soda stream re-fillable bottle?

View attachment 33555

There was one of these at the QLD Swap on a keg, seemed to worked well to give some gas for dispensing, just be sure to carb beer properly 1st, ill be getting me one of these.... ;)

There was one of these at the QLD Swap on a keg, seemed to worked well to give some gas for dispensing, just be sure to carb beer properly 1st, ill be getting me one of these.... ;)

Cheers CB,

Yeah, It would use for dispensing only...

So, does it work as: Your pour is getting slow and you give it a squeeze? Could it be that simple?

How many bulbs to dispense a keg [9L] would be the next question.... if this was my thread: :ph34r:

Thanks for the photos Slacka :) Tough choice as to which route to go, because I really like how everything fits snuggly in Cortez's setup, but still having room in the esky isn't a bad thing either!

Cocko: I haven't used one myself yet, but I hear for dispensing, one little bulb can last quite awhile. I'm going to use them over the sodastream simply because they're more compact, and I highly doubt I'll be using it on a weekly basis. Go with it and see how you go.

Latest posts

Back